Main Menu

Mad Max - Fury Road

Started by Colin YNWA, 30 June, 2012, 06:44:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

locustsofdeath!

Brendan McCarthy talks Mad Max Fury Road storyboards (and comic stuff, too): http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54991

Goaty

Trailer 2, looks insane and awesome and great car stunts!

http://youtu.be/xJSOT83BX-U

blackmocco

Let me preface that I've already seen a rough cut of the Fury Road and I had a few problems with it. In saying that, this new trailer makes me want to smash everything in sight in excitement. It's far from the greatest movie ever made (that's MM2/Road Warrior) but it could well be the greatest trailer ever made. Absolutely phenomenal.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Colin YNWA

Wow that seems to try to cram a lot in. I'm spinning just from watching the trailer. Looks like they've tried to squish all three films together?

Is one of your reservations (if you feel you can say) that it tries to do too much?

blackmocco

Ehh, I don't want to ruin to for anyone. Just some story stuff I felt they could have tightened up a bit. That aside, there's some stuff in here you've never seen before. Spectacular. Can't fucking wait to go again.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: blackmocco on 10 December, 2014, 08:00:06 PM
Just some story stuff I felt they could have tightened up a bit.

Fixable with a tighter edit, or a result of some bits of weak writing?

radiator

Given how long this movie has been in production id be amazed if there weren't some problems with it. But yeah, that trailer is all kinds of awesome.

blackmocco

Quote from: locustsofdeath! on 10 December, 2014, 09:16:31 PM
Quote from: blackmocco on 10 December, 2014, 08:00:06 PM
Just some story stuff I felt they could have tightened up a bit.

Fixable with a tighter edit, or a result of some bits of weak writing?

Eesh. I guess I'd say a lack of writing. Haha! Look, I wouldn't spoil anything but I will place stuff in the spoiler bars just in case no-one wants to know what I thought. I'm a HUGE fan of the trilogy and I think there's definitely more good than bad with Fury Road. There are visuals in here like nothing you've ever seen before and the physical 'whooomph' you feel seeing real cars getting really, really fantastically mashed and smashed is proof for me that CG can only go so far to impress you.

[spoiler]But my biggest problem involved what's also the movie's greatest strength: It's a spectacularly energetic two-hour chase movie which doesn't ever stop to breathe. As a result, we never really get to know much about the characters themselves beyond the broad strokes and as a result, never really end up caring about what happens to them, particularly with Max himself. For a movie that's cost north of $200 million and has been in production, on and off, since the early 2000's, it seems a shame they couldn't just flesh the characters out a little bit. It doesn't have to be much. Even just a line or two of dialog to help things out. God knows, Max, Wez and Humungus didn't have much to say in MM2, but they were very clearly defined.[/spoiler]

But like I said, that's just my peeve. It's a trip of a movie, it really is. Probably the weirdest big-budget studio movie you're ever going to see.

www.BLACKMOCCO.com

amines2058

The big question though is whether or not that is Mel Gibson in makeup at the 1.31 mark of this new trailer?? :o :-*

James Stacey

Woah! that was insane. Blackmocco, re your concerns, hasn't Miller all along stated this was the case? I can see where your coming from but it's not like they haven't been upfront about it from the start.

ming

Looks incredible - for me, the most eagerly awaited movie in a long, long time (more so even that Dredd).  That trailer has so much in it my head's still spinning...

Hawkmumbler

Looks more Road Warrior than Thunderdome, thank god. Super fucking excited.

Radbacker

holy f&*k that's 2 minutes of arsom.  Looks like Mel to me at 1.31, cameo or flash forward?
House mates gone off his nut over this and I cant say I blame him I really cant wait for this, it may not beat MM2 to the tile of best action movie ever made but looks a darn lot better than most of the Pg drek shovelled out as action movies these days.

CCU Radbacker

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 11 December, 2014, 10:05:50 AM
Looks more Road Warrior than Thunderdome, thank god. Super fucking excited.

There were elements of Thunderdome that worked well. Unfortunately the movie collapses in the last 45 minutes or so. What we've seen so far seems to take the better elements of Thunderdome and mix them into the Road Warrior template. I'm onboard with this.

TordelBack

Does look rather deadly, doesn't it?  If only it was Dredd in the protagonist's chair and not the Punisher, I'd really go for this sort of thing as a 2012-version of the Cursed Earth.