Main Menu

Mad Max - Fury Road

Started by Colin YNWA, 30 June, 2012, 06:44:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 22 May, 2015, 11:23:32 AM
I don't understand what you are getting at...misandry is a lie perpetrated by MRA's to try and justify their attitudes.

The word 'misandry' has a legitimate meaning and usage, which may have been co-opted and distorted by fucktards like the Gamergaters and the Sad Puppies, but that only means that we should defend its correct meaning, not cede the linguistic territory and allow right-wing misogynist cretins to distort the language in support of their agenda.

'Misandry' may not exist in the context you chose to apply, but I would contend that the context was not appropriate in terms of its usage here.

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

I...disagree. Just because something has a definition does not make it a 'thing' that happens. Yeah, sure, you'll get women who hate men. But i'm willing to bet the primary reason for that is due to the patriarchal system we live in, men ARE treated better than women in this world where rape culture, unequal wages, and street harassment are rife amongst other issues. You can't blame a woman for being bitter with the world when a good portion of the men in her life are complete low life, sexist scum. I know it, I work in an environment thats incredibly sexist, many of my family are sexist, it's a horrifying truth about this world. Mysogyny is perpetrated as a sytemic problem, misandry exists through a handful of (rightly) very embittered people.

So yes, i'll concede the point that although Misandry might exist by deffinition, it isn't anywhere near as big a problem as people make out.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 22 May, 2015, 11:40:41 AM
So yes, i'll concede the point that although Misandry might exist by deffinition, it isn't anywhere near as big a problem as people make out.

You're derailing this thread with an argument no one was making. Which was my point.

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Hawkmumbler

Oh. Right. Sorry,.....erm.......but wasn't Furiosa such a breath of fresh air!  :D

JamesC

I've been thinking about this film quite a bit since I saw it and the bit that keeps coming back to me is when [spoiler]Max tries to shoot Nux's arm off to free the cuffs. It's pure fluke that Max has loaded a duff cartridge.[/spoiler] I think that's a pretty scary scene in retrospect.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: blackmocco on 22 May, 2015, 02:08:45 AM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 21 May, 2015, 07:34:50 PM
Quote from: Molch-R on 21 May, 2015, 05:58:14 PM
...It very much stressed that it wasn't Joe who was the Big Bad Guy, it was the whole system he sat at the head of.

I know that as viewers our sympathies are supposed to be firmly with Max and Fury... but in the context of that world is Joe not one of the best things that could have happened to it?

Thinking about it, I would think Aunty Entity in Thunderdome fits this profile more than IJ, right? (I know Thunderdome gets no love compared to the others but I have a real soft spot for that one. Sorry.) She's devoted her life to rebuilding civilization. Granted, it all has to be on her terms.

Yeah, Aunty Entity came to mind several times when writing that lengthy post about Immortan Joe. They've got very different approaches but both her and Joe are essentially trying to do the same thing in response to the global catastrophe.

Quote from: JamesC on 22 May, 2015, 12:32:17 PM
I've been thinking about this film quite a bit since I saw it and the bit that keeps coming back to me is when [spoiler]Max tries to shoot Nux's arm off to free the cuffs. It's pure fluke that Max has loaded a duff cartridge.[/spoiler] I think that's a pretty scary scene in retrospect.

It's a real glimmer of the old Max - when he handcuffs the biker to the burning car at the end of the first film and gives him a hacksaw, telling him he'll get through his own flesh quicker than the steel of the handcuffs.
@jamesfeistdraws

Keef Monkey

It does feel very brutal and callous that moment, one of those points where you feel the cinema tense up because they're about to see something a bit brutal!

Think it works great in conveying just how survival-focused the character is. He's almost like a feral animal in Fury Road, survival instinct is all that's left [spoiler]until he obviously finds some humanity to claw back once he meets Furiosa. The fact that his immediate instinct when the shotgun misfires is to start chewing Nux's hand off really punctuates that! There really is some brilliant character development in the movie, and it gives the action the weight it needs to be as impactful as it is (nothing makes an action movie feel more empty than a lack of proper motivation).[/spoiler]

The Adventurer

QuoteYeah, Aunty Entity came to mind several times when writing that lengthy post about Immortan Joe. They've got very different approaches but both her and Joe are essentially trying to do the same thing in response to the global catastrophe.

Yes, they're both trying to subvert human freedom for their own personal gain in the short term. If you think anything either has done is to help humanity survive long term, you're not really paying attention. Anything that looks like it benefits the whole is just bread and circuses to keep the populus from revolting.

We actively see Entity supressing any challenge to her power by the way she deals with Master Blaster. Master's trying to keep the power on for humanity's benefit, Entiry only sees it as another way to control people.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: The Adventurer on 22 May, 2015, 04:11:15 PM
QuoteYeah, Aunty Entity came to mind several times when writing that lengthy post about Immortan Joe. They've got very different approaches but both her and Joe are essentially trying to do the same thing in response to the global catastrophe.

Yes, they're both trying to subvert human freedom for their own personal gain in the short term. If you think anything either has done is to help humanity survive long term, you're not really paying attention.

I'm not saying they're nice people - and freedom's a nice luxury for a civilised person with a full belly. But what would it even mean in that world, beyond the freedom to starve, alone, out in the desert? The unwashed masses of Bartertown and Citadel aren't prisoners, after all - they can leave any time they like. Aunty and Joe would probably both say 'If you think you can find better, go get it.'
@jamesfeistdraws

The Adventurer

There are quite a few levels of comfort between being crushed to death by a brutal dictatorship and dying 'free' in a radioactive desert.

The refinery guys from Road Warrior were getting along just fine before Lord Humungus and his gang turned up to kick their sand castle over. They were working together as a community of equals working toward the long term survivability of the group. And when push came to shove they fought and sacrificed for one another.

And Freedom should never be a luxury.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Professor Bear

Quote from: The Adventurer on 22 May, 2015, 04:11:15 PM

Yes, they're both trying to subvert human freedom for their own personal gain in the short term. If you think anything either has done is to help humanity survive long term, you're not really paying attention. Anything that looks like it benefits the whole is just bread and circuses to keep the populus from revolting.

You are describing Western capitalism.

blackmocco

I believe that's the point Miller is making.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

CAN1F

In thunderdome there is a war boy in that

ThryllSeekyr

Put simply, I don't support feminism all the way, not to the point when women are like monsters walking all over men to get what they think they need. In fact I don't support feminism at all, because in this day and age and as far as I am concerned  I think they reached the platue (No more climbing for them!)

It's like we have always been living in woman's world. None them seem to be helping me out with my problems.

Anymore power to them is surplus to demands.

I've never been familar with that word you used.....

Quote from: ProxianMisandry does exist - just more at an individual level, and nowhere near the scale that Mysogyny does. TS seemed confused that Mad Max had a Misandrist agenda, instead of being a slightly feminist movie.

Not confused at all, I just haven't seen the film yet and heard on internet video I was playing while looking at something else that this film is strong on that woman's thing and I thought I would add that while it may be great on some levels. I don't want to see anybody like myself become matryed or a victim to this. Naturally.

Why>????

Because I'm a guy largly ignored by women.

Hawkmumbler