Main Menu

Mad Max - Fury Road

Started by Colin YNWA, 30 June, 2012, 06:44:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Quote from: blackmocco on 29 April, 2015, 03:10:41 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 28 April, 2015, 09:19:31 PM
Not sure if this makes it look any better and the more they try to sneak the plot in the more it looks like it might be bloated BUT, but but BUT can it be anything other than mindbendingly fun? I might make a rare trip to the cinema (to see something other than entertainment for toddlers) to see this.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2015/04/28/mad-max-fury-road-rides-in-with-final-trailer/

Colin, I saw a rough cut of this last summer. If I would voice any non-spoiler-y concerns, I would say it's the opposite of bloated, which kinda comes back to bite it on the arse in the end. It is also, however, absolutely fucking awesome.

Sorry I remember you telling me that before as well when I was whining about that, or some such. Good to hear.

Goaty

Well, well, now that is unexpected, Empire and Total Film rated it 5 of 5 in their reviews, said it best view in IMAX!

radiator

Seems to be getting fantastic reviews across the board. I'm in!

Goaty

100% on Rotten Tomatoes after 16 reviews,

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mad_max_fury_road/

Till Daily Mail...

hazy efc

Im a big mad max fan so i cant wait for fury road. Ive only seen the trailer were you see flashbacks of the original trilogy at the beginning of the trailer it looks fantastic.                       

ming

Quote from: Goaty on 11 May, 2015, 04:54:25 PM
100% on Rotten Tomatoes after 16 reviews,

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/mad_max_fury_road/

Till Daily Mail...

...or the Daily Mirror.  Meh.

Anyway, the opening paragraph of the Time Out review gives a nice indication of the overall impact:

The fourth instalment of George Miller's punky post-apocalyptic 'Mad Max' saga feels like a tornado tearing through a tea party. In an age of weightless movie spectacles, here's a movie that feels like it was made by kidnapping $150 million of studio money, fleeing with it to the Namibian desert, and sending footage back to Hollywood like the amputated body parts of a ransomed hostage

http://www.timeout.com/london/film/mad-max-fury-road

Keef Monkey

The reviews really are incredible, particularly for the kind of film it is. Expected it to get a lot of buzz in cult/genre circles but to see the mainstream press universally adoring it is really something.

Got my tickets booked for Thursday night in IMAX 3D, getting pretty excited.

Krakajac

Caught the 1:00pm session here in Queensland, Oz.

Was pleasantly surprised.  It really doesn't let up.  Was hoping that the movie would retain some connection to Australia - and it does - plenty of Aussie accents (and actors) throughout.

And the stunts.  Wow.  :o

ming

90 reviews in on Rotten Tomatoes now: 99% fresh; 89 positive reviews and then there's the Daily Mirror... Pffft.

I'm so happy to see this being met with such overwhelming positivity from across the board; really very heartening.  I'll be heading out to see this tomorrow with a bit of luck!  :)

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Krakajac on 14 May, 2015, 11:05:36 AM
Caught the 1:00pm session here in Queensland, Oz.

Was pleasantly surprised.  It really doesn't let up.  Was hoping that the movie would retain some connection to Australia - and it does - plenty of Aussie accents (and actors) throughout.

And the stunts.  Wow.  :o

I live in a little town called Ipswich, near the city of Brisbane, South East Queensland.

Wont be able to see this film until another week and a bit has passed, but I have seen this.....

Traffic chaos: Cahill Expressway shut for Mad Max promo

JOE SOAP

Dunk!

There is an "Art of" book, out day going by Amazon, and I hope it includes some of Mr McCarthy's early design work.

Fingers (and claws) crossed.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

Keef Monkey

Forgot about this thread and posted my thoughts in the 'Last Film' thread, I'll just paste them here (but will add that it was great to see Brendan McCarthy's name appear on the end credits. Not sure I knew he was involved, but if anything feels like it's had the touch of a 2000AD creator it's this movie.

Saw it at IMAX 3D last night and was completely blown away. I want to watch it a few dozen more times, there's so much to take in on one viewing, but there were a few times when I was just flattened by the scale of the carnage unfolding. It's properly mental. The highest hopes I had were that it would come close to Mad Max 2, and while it'll take a few more watches to be sure, right now I'm thinking it might be better.

That's the real surprise I guess, that just getting a new Mad Max film is exciting and cool in itself, but the fact that it's quite probably the best Mad Max film was not something I expected going in.

Link Prime

Quote from: Dunk! on 15 May, 2015, 08:31:51 AM
There is an "Art of" book, out day going by Amazon, and I hope it includes some of Mr McCarthy's early design work.

Fingers (and claws) crossed.

Dunk!

DC also have a comic tie-in out next week, apparently co-written by Miller himself; http://www.midtowncomics.com/store/dp.asp?PRID=1420204

blackmocco

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 15 May, 2015, 12:29:30 PM
Forgot about this thread and posted my thoughts in the 'Last Film' thread, I'll just paste them here (but will add that it was great to see Brendan McCarthy's name appear on the end credits. Not sure I knew he was involved, but if anything feels like it's had the touch of a 2000AD creator it's this movie.

Saw it at IMAX 3D last night and was completely blown away. I want to watch it a few dozen more times, there's so much to take in on one viewing, but there were a few times when I was just flattened by the scale of the carnage unfolding. It's properly mental. The highest hopes I had were that it would come close to Mad Max 2, and while it'll take a few more watches to be sure, right now I'm thinking it might be better.

That's the real surprise I guess, that just getting a new Mad Max film is exciting and cool in itself, but the fact that it's quite probably the best Mad Max film was not something I expected going in.

Funny you say that, Keef. I saw a rough cut last summer and felt the movie had more than a few shortcomings. Went in last night and was utterly blown away and like you, about halfway in was asking myself "holy shit! Is this as good as MM2?!" It's a fucking spectacular movie, it really is, and even if it's something that doesn't float your boat in the end, the audacity of the vision and bringing that vision to life in a summer blockbuster so different than anything else out there is to be applauded. Let's just remind everyone again that George Miller is 70 years old...! Loved it so much, we just walked into the next showing and sat through it all over again.

Oh hey, did you spot the Gyrocopter Captain's skull in there...? Haha!

And then tonight, here we go again with the FG crew....

"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com