Main Menu

RoboCop - Murphy's Law

Started by JOE SOAP, 07 July, 2012, 10:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JamesC

This looks very much like a man in suit where the old went to pains to try to give the illusion that it was a wholly robotic body with a human element.

James Stacey

More shots here. http://www.blogto.com/film/2012/10/photos_of_the_new_robocop_being_filmed_in_toronto/

Yeah looks too much like a man in a suit and not enough like a robot.
Maybe they should call it maninsuitocop

Professor Bear

Quote from: JamesC on 10 October, 2012, 11:48:13 AM
This looks very much like a man in suit where the old went to pains to try to give the illusion that it was a wholly robotic body with a human element.

I gather the idea is that in the context of the film story he is a man in a robot suit, but becomes more actual robotic over time for... reasons and stuff.

radiator

The original Robocop suit was made of plastic and probably looked like crap out of context.

How much of what made it convincing was things like sound effects?

Judging things by leaked stills is pointless.

James Stacey

Was I the only one that spent the day following first viewing Robocop walking around making pneumatic stomping noises as I walked  :lol:

JamesC

Quote from: radiator on 10 October, 2012, 03:39:34 PM
The original Robocop suit was made of plastic and probably looked like crap out of context.

How much of what made it convincing was things like sound effects?

Judging things by leaked stills is pointless.

The first film was clever in that it showed parts of the body disconnected - like the robot arm demo. There was also the leg holster which helped sell the idea that the leg was totally robotic.
The design was modular showing very definite amoured sections connected to an underlying robotic chasis.
I've seen the RoboCop suit in real life and can confirm that it still relies heavily on a decent actor moving a certain way and sound effects. The moment that happens though, it's very convincing.

I'm sure that the new film will do wonders with sound effects and may even show elements of the body in isolation but there is no getting way from the fact that it looks very much like the types of suit we are used to seeing characters wear in films like GI Joe or games like Crysis.

Cursed Earth Dweller

Quote from: James Stacey on 10 October, 2012, 01:32:59 PM

More shots here. http://www.blogto.com/film/2012/10/photos_of_the_new_robocop_being_filmed_in_toronto/

Yeah looks too much like a man in a suit and not enough like a robot.
Maybe they should call it maninsuitocop

Looks more like something out of the Metal Gear Solid.

Mabs

I'm not impressed at all. It does look like a man in a suit. I don't know how much will be CGI-ied and if the end result will be better than what we see, but from first impressions it does not bode well at all. And what the hell is up with his hands? Is that how he's meant to look?  He looks like a fu*king joke!  :-X
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Cursed Earth Dweller

You know looking at that pic again it seems the crowd around him don't look all that impressed either, maybe not even aware that he's there.

Michaelvk

I like it, and looking forward to seeing it all in context..

Remember that other movie we saw stills off of a while ago? That one turned out okay..  ;)
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

MR. ELIMINATOR

Judging on what I read about the director having most of his ideas turned down by the studio, I have a feeling this gonna end up being pretty mediocre.

JOE SOAP

Mardroid

Interesting design. Kind of.. creaturish*. Which probably is appropriate considering they way they've gone with the redesign of Robocop. (I still prefer the previous look.)

*Yep a new word.

Michaelvk

That's.. Interesting.. I kinda like it.. Though it's safe to say it's got an action figure safe riding position.
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

MR. ELIMINATOR

So I am guessing this isn't going to be ultra-violent like the original?