Main Menu

RoboCop - Murphy's Law

Started by JOE SOAP, 07 July, 2012, 10:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

It's hard to see the point in remaking a good film.  But I suppose it's been done successfully in the past - Scarface and Cape Fear spring to mind - so I'll keep an open mind.

The skinhand does grate though, as does the fact that he looks much more like a man in a metal suit than the original did.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

locustsofdeath!

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 06 February, 2014, 03:05:53 PM
It's hard to see the point in remaking a good film.  But I suppose it's been done successfully in the past - Scarface and Cape Fear spring to mind - so I'll keep an open mind.

The Thing and The Fly also come to mind. But for whatever reason, those films (and the ones you mentioned) seemed more personal, less cold heartless "Hollywood".

That said, I'm still going to give this new Robocop a chance (despite my utter contempt for the HAND).

Theblazeuk

I would be up for more The Thing style remakes. Taking old, old SF movies that couldn't do a concept justice and making them freakily horrific (though the Thing was panned at release from what I gather) or whatever suits.

Not straight remaking with CGI where understatement was fine, as seen with Day The Earth Stood Bored by Keanu Reeves. Or yet-another-invasion-of-the-body-snatchers (you can't beat Donald Sutherland, give it up).

Shouldn't just remake the movies of the 70s and 80s. Be more adventurous! I'd love a new THEM!

Goaty

That is problem with many latest Hollywood films always got fights include CGI...

Theblazeuk

CGI is a useful tool. It'd be insane not to use it.

But a mix of CGI and physical effects is the best.

JamesC

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 06 February, 2014, 05:19:17 PM
I would be up for more The Thing style remakes. Taking old, old SF movies that couldn't do a concept justice and making them freakily horrific (though the Thing was panned at release from what I gather) or whatever suits.

Not straight remaking with CGI where understatement was fine, as seen with Day The Earth Stood Bored by Keanu Reeves. Or yet-another-invasion-of-the-body-snatchers (you can't beat Donald Sutherland, give it up).

Shouldn't just remake the movies of the 70s and 80s. Be more adventurous! I'd love a new THEM!

It'd be a brave studio to take on a serious Creature Feature remake. It's a genre that's been mocked so much that it take a fantastic product and a marketing genius to have an audience take it seriously.

A genre I'd like to see revisited, with the budget and talent to do it justice, is Sindbad/Arabian Nights films.
The stuff they could do these days with genies and magic carpets would be wonderful. There's loads of scope in terms of tone as well - light comedic adventure and dark creepy mystery both work equally well.

JamesC

Saw the new Robocop today. Loved it. Just as good as the original I reckon.

golledge100

Would you say it is suitable for a 7 year old who is used to 12A movies James? I'm contemplating taking my son. He has seen Avengers Assemble and loved that but he would've been a bit of a wreck watching Batman.

JamesC

Quote from: golledge100 on 08 February, 2014, 09:14:45 PM
Would you say it is suitable for a 7 year old who is used to 12A movies James? I'm contemplating taking my son. He has seen Avengers Assemble and loved that but he would've been a bit of a wreck watching Batman.

It's quite talky and a bit heavy in places - I'd imagine a 7 year old may get a little bored.
In terms of violence, it's not really graphic or gory but it's still rather shocking at times.

Apestrife

There are some stuff in it that could be bit heavy for a 7 year old. Showing Alex's lounges (with him breathing heavily, which adds quite a bit) and brain (at one time shown while undergoing surgery).

Not as gory as the original, but still icky in it's own way.

And while I'm at it, might I add that I quite liked it. A solid 3/5. Cool that it managed to things by itself, without repeating too much plot, onliners and what not. It dropped some serious steam towards the end, but picked it up almost immediately afterwards Robocop & c/o became heroes again, especially the very last scene. Can't say the pg 13 stopped it from being a good action movie.

willthemightyW

It was alright, felt it lacked a bit of heart, whilst also (ironically) trying to give it all a bit too much heart. I'll just say I liked it, nowhere near as much as the original, but it was good. Didn't have as much of a sense as fun as it needed (the partnership of murphy and louis-played by the guy from the wire- was really good) and robocop looked hilariously dumb when he was running imo. The is a really, reaaally cool visual in it where [spoiler]murphy is hooked up to a frame, and its just his face, his lungs in some weird kind of plastic tupperware thing, and his disembodied hand linked to his brain, he  just looks like floating body parts and it was very impressive and actually kinda horrific[/spoiler] so really good job on that.
Also Michael Keaton was great.
Will
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

HdE

Quote from: Apestrife on 08 February, 2014, 10:29:08 PM

There are some stuff in it that could be bit heavy for a 7 year old. Showing Alex's lounges (with him breathing heavily, which adds quite a bit) and brain (at one time shown while undergoing surgery).

Ugh - really? That's turned me off the movie completely. Call it a quirk, but I'd be happier watching the OTT violence of the original over seeing that.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Apestrife

HdE: Yeah, I also find the splatter in the original easier to watch hehe.

It can be said that there's nothing cruel about scenes, not like the Robocop 2's making of a cyborg or elysium's scene where Matt Damon gets a exoskeleton grafted to his body (really disliked that one.).  The scene with his innards in jars even benefits from it being shown since you really get an idea what goes on inside Murphy's head. And "brain surgery" is them plucking away from it. But they're still scenes that made people go "oh". If you seriously don't like organs on display then the film could be a bit testing.

ZenArcade

We were talking about old Sci Fi novels on the What're you reading thread. The Frederick Pohl novel Man Plus really gets into the guts (pun intended) of creating a cyborg. :-[
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

HdE

Well, that's it for me, then! I'm officially consigning the remake to the list of films I'm never going anywhere near. It may well be a decent little movie in its own right, but it doesn't sound like my idea of a good time.

Silver lining: I feel a bit more inclined to buy the remastered edition of the first movie now!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/