Main Menu

Links to film reviews and reaction posts

Started by a chosen rider, 12 July, 2012, 11:37:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CYCLOPZ

MR. ELIMINATOR

I think 'a brutal sci-fi killfest' is a pretty good quote. They should put it on the poster.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Actually, that is probably my favourite review so far haha. They sound really upset!

CYCLOPZ

Yeah You're right

QuoteScreenwriter Alex Garland can't be bothered to express any doubts and goes back to basics: Dredd is a great guy, performing his civic duty of kicking ass and blowing people apart.

Sounds Just the ticket!  :D

darnmarr

Everything positive but the Daily Mail?-RESULT!

SmallBlueThing

Hang on- im the very last person in the world to defend Tookey. He is a massive, mental arsehole of the first order. But, in all honesty, that review sounds about right: surely the movie IS missing the satirical comedy of the original comics? Garland has said exactly that right here. And that is Tookey's point- it's violent, celebrates Dredd's character without satirising what he does, and isnt particularly well-developed. Im sure when i eventually get to see this next year, i'll agree.

For Tookey, that review is very sane. He doesnt claim it'll bring about the fall of civilisation or that it has magical satanic mind-bending powers. And he cleverely netes any chance of getting ironically quoted on the poster, by describing it as making The Wild Bunch look like something no one has heard of. He's learning.

SBT

The Bissler

If there's anyone you don't want to like this film it's the Daily Mail.  I'm absolutely delighted they hate it - and that every other newspaper review I've read rates it highly!

Buttonman

The Sun - Alex Zane - 4/5 All the usual points present and correct!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/sftw/4525248/Alex-Zane-reviews-Dredd-3D.html

Telegraph gives 3/5 but concludes 'it's really rather good. Can't see it online yet.

Buttonman

This is the Daily Record review in full - not worthy of my linking powers!

"THE much-loved 2000AD character Judge Dredd received a woeful movie makeover in 1995 with Sylvester Stallone seriously miscast as the futuristic lawmaker.

This reboot isn't much better, more resembling a straight-to-video cheapie than something that you might expect to see in the multiplex.

Karl Urban plays the ­perma-helmeted Dredd who, with his new psychic partner, lays waste to a lawless apartment building controlled by drug lord Ma-Ma (Lena Headey).

Dredd's biggest problem is its sheer anonymity, while writer Alex Garland has said there are plans to make two sequels.

There deserves to be a law against that."

ming

Heh, sorry I didn't see that had already been dropped in - curse my relatively-early-morning enthusiasm...

:)

Goaty

Daily Mirror got same review as Daily Record?

Middle class shit?

W. R. Logan

Will be listening to see what Kermode says this afternoon.

@KermodeMovie: Today's flagship @wittertainment includes reviews of Anna Karenina, DreDDD, St George's Day,Night in the Woods, Lawless, plus BILL FORSYTH!