Main Menu

John Wagner Interview

Started by GordyM, 19 July, 2012, 08:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judo

Quote from: rog on 22 July, 2012, 11:58:23 PM
Wow, that was a great interview and what a cool guy Mr Wagner is! Thanks for setting this up, filming it and for the link :D

Great to hear him being so positive about the Dredd film too, I know it's all been in print before but good to hear it straight from the man himself!

On a sidenote it always amazes (and pleases) me how many Scots are influential in comics!
we are epic in every way but Johns american x
Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.

M.I.K.

Technically, yes, but I'm sure he's said in the past that he doesn't really think of himself as such.

Judo

maybe just the american citizenship, passport and lovely drawl... but a very Scottish sense of humour! x

rog

Quote from: Judo on 23 July, 2012, 12:27:26 AMwe are epic in every way but Johns american x
Is he! :-[ Oh I stand corrected ooops!

Does he live in Scotland or something then? He sounds more Scottish than American to be honest, and the lovely line in self deprecation he does is surely not from the US of A?

I should just Google this really but hey there'd be no discussion and I'm a lazy sod at heart ;) :D

Pete Wells

Quote from: GordyM on 22 July, 2012, 11:27:41 AM
It was a god damn pleasure interviewing Mr Wagner. A really, really nice guy and after the filming he hung around to chat for awhile. Difficult to keep it together while talking to him - just wanted to bow down Wayne's World style ("We're not worthy! We're not worthy!").

See Gordy, you are a much better man than me. Half way through, I'd have burst into tears, hugged him and spent the next 6 hours telling him how much Dredd means to me. Pathetic I know!

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: rog on 23 July, 2012, 11:10:05 AM
Does he live in Scotland or something then? He sounds more Scottish than American to be honest, and the lovely line in self deprecation he does is surely not from the US of A?

Yeah, I don't detect a hint of an American accent in John's speech, nor would I expect to given that his family moved to Scotland when he was 13.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Judo

He spent the years that matter most in scotland but has lived all over uk and now he's an english famer boy I think.  I didnt notice til John said so but you can hear him elongating his vowels - very Ohio way of speaking.

Gordy you were hilarious all con and making me laugh lots cos every time I looked at you, you had THE BIGGEST SHIT EATING GRIN EVER.  Gordy sold out most his own comic, won the best new comic award and interviewed John Wagner.   Give Gordy a tip of the cap x

rog

Aha, yeah thanks for the info there guys, and I did end up checking on Wikipedia too lol.

So he's as good as Scottish I reckon :D

The Prodigal

How refreshing it is to see a supremely capable man having an air of genuine humility and down to earthedness.

Well done John Wagner. An impressive fella in every respect.

TordelBack

As Arthur Wellsley, tool of the East India Company, Butcher of Arguam and active anti-semite, was apocryphally wont to remark of his Irish origins, "Being born in a stable does not make one a horse". 

(Mind you if your ancestors back to at least the 16th C are born in the same stable, and you take up a stall in the stable's House of Commons, the evidence for horsiness is mounting...)

Judo

I'd still like john if he was living in a gutter - just a lovely man :) I have a transcript of a Colin Macneil interview from when he was still at art school circa 88/89 that a friend did for a dissertation.  I'll maybe ask Colin if it's Ok to post it as thanks to all the lovely tooth board people who have helped me with various things... you all know who you are ;) x x

Judo

sorry guys, he says you can see it if you reaaaally want but he'd rather not as he is a little embarrassed by his younger art school student self hahaha.   Such a shame but nae joy Im no posting it if Colin's no keen x

GordyM

Quote from: Judo on 23 July, 2012, 12:02:05 PM

Gordy you were hilarious all con and making me laugh lots cos every time I looked at you, you had THE BIGGEST SHIT EATING GRIN EVER.  Gordy sold out most his own comic, won the best new comic award and interviewed John Wagner.   Give Gordy a tip of the cap x

Thank you! That shit eating grin was equal parts all the fun of the Con, having enough Rocket Fuel coffee and energy drinks in me that I could vibrate between dimensions and a wee house party on the Friday night that took an unexpected turn for the fantastic. It still crops up from time to time. :D
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

Cactus

Loved the interview Gordy. Thanks for sharing it.  :D
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

Judo

haha thats awesome Gordy - whens your next issue out?   dunno if theres any excuses to go drinking comic events soon but i hope so x