Main Menu

Judge Dredd Gamebook: Countdown Sector 106

Started by Pete Wells, 29 July, 2012, 12:53:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nick Robinson

Nick Robinson

Quote from: TordelBack on 29 July, 2012, 02:27:28 PM
Mobile computing dinosaur here.  Does this game only work on the iPad, or if at some unimaginably glorious future we were able to spring for a cheapo Android tablet could we participate?

IPhone and iPad only at the moment, although hopefully this will have an android version at some point in the not too distant future.

Nick Robinson

Quote from: Bolt-01 on 01 August, 2012, 09:01:36 AM
Is one of the artists really named 'German Ponce'?
Yes. And it is his real name too. (Although his full name is a tad longer he has used German Ponce ever since I first became aware of him years ago).

Nick Robinson

Another review from Gamezebo.

http://www.gamezebo.com/games/judge-dredd-countdown-sector-106/review

Getting very positive feedback on the book so far, which is always 1. a relief and 2. makes me break out in a huge grin!

shaolin_monkey

I had been waiting for such a long time for this to come out, and I have not been disappointed.  It is great!  I won't discuss the story for fear of spoilers, but I will say even in easy it's tricky! My dice rolls are rubbish!  Also, I'm pretty sure I've messed up quite a few cases now, and not got all the arrests I should have.  It's a great read though!

dweezil2

Great fun! I don't own an I-Phone so pursuaded the wife to download it on hers so I could play it!

Now she's not getting it back!  ;)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Al_Ewing

Finally finished it! Lots left incomplete, mind, so I'll likely pop back for a second go on one of the long train journeys I have to do next week. I ended up pumping all my Sector House time into Lawgiver skill, which left me constantly looking for reasons to shoot people...

I did end up doing a lot of sneaky re-rolling - jerking my phone about at the exact second the dice landed on a number I didn't want. You could only do that once, which was a nice touch.

Great stuff! Looking forward to the next one.
Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

vzzbux

Is it just for apple. Seem to be missing a trick by limiting these and not extending to android pads.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Nick Robinson

For those who are interested I'm working on a sequel (simultaneous release for Android and iphone). Although it does take place after the first gamebook (and references it in places) it is entirely self contained. Updates will be available made on Twitter #JudgeDreddTheDark:

http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=2722

Also the Android version of Countdown Sector 106 should be early next year.

Pete Wells

YES!!!! That's brillaint news! I loved the first one. The Dark eh? Would this be The Dark Judges???

Excited!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Nick Robinson on 04 December, 2012, 11:08:48 AM

Also the Android version of Countdown Sector 106 should be early next year.

That is fantastic news!

The Bissler

I finally got around to investing in this today.

As everyone says above it is great fun and, best of all, true to the universe that we all know and love.

I don't quite understand how the game mechanics work, particularly in terms of how much damage you suffer but I still found it very enjoyable.  The one thing that caught me out was that I expected to be able to use a med pack to heal myself between encounters, next time I'll know that's not the case.

I was definitely foolhardy, wading into a Juve gang armed only with a day stick early on in the story, but I was trying to play it as Dredd would, he would want to show he was better than street punks.  I also always tried to challenge perps as that felt like the Dredd way.  There were options to shoot people in the back and so on but that just didn't sit right with me... Maybe I'm too much of a fan to play this the way it probably should!

Next time I'll be a little more cautious and play differently!

The very slight quibbles were that there could have been more variation in the music and the Dredd voice effects were a bit naff.  You can switch those off though so it wasn't a big deal.  I agree that it would have been nice to see some art by established JD artists but I thought that the art was ok if not exactly breathtaking.

Overall I felt it was of a very high standard!  I'd recommend it to anyone else who has been thinking about giving it a look.  For 4 quid it's a steal and there are a lot worse ways to spend your time and money! 

Roll on the sequel!

Theblazeuk

I enjoyed! But yes, playing as Dredd authentically will get you dead very quickly unless you're very lucky with the dice rolls.

Bubba Zebill

Judge Dredd : The Dark (Gamebook)
http://tinmangames.com.au/blog/?p=3105

The Bissler

Many thanks Bubba!   I had missed that thread so it was great to look through it and see some of the art you've been working on - outstanding!  I'm even more excited about the sequel book now!  :)