Main Menu

Prog 1798: Mecha Death!

Started by vzzbux, 25 August, 2012, 09:01:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJomster

Quote from: vzzbux on 03 September, 2012, 08:46:03 AM
The whole plot for Lenny was revenge on Kramer. Miss PSI pointed it out a number of times.

Ok, I've done my re-reading. I remembered there was a large dose of revenge involved but what threw me was I hadn't seen a line in the dialogue previously where Lenny had explicitly said he was going to get his revenge via the gas. Revenge, "a dish best served with a big fat payday on the side", could have been ruining Kramer's career by stealing the loot while she was in command of the team transporting it.

In 1798 where Lenny tells Satellat to stop Kramer and co driving off, "hit 'em before they floor it", Satellat doesn't cut the vehicle in two with the stub gun but cuts a hole in the window to let the gas in. It wasn't immediatley clear to me whether this is Satellat's own doing or part of Lenny's plan that he's previously (and off screen) discussed with Satellat.

However on page 3 Lenny wants to go back to see Kramer, suggesting the latter and he wants to savour the moment. I say this because all Satellat says on page 2 is "Target immobilised" not "Atmospheric integrity compromised" etc. Thus for Lenny to want to go to check out Kramer he must have known the love gas was in her vehicle.

This then leads to THAT panel...

So Does this mean a) Lenny's a real b*stard, b) many boarders end up surprised/dismayed/and worse by THAT panel, c) that I've been trying to sort out the clarity in my head on this for far too long, d) I really shouldn't have to spend all this time tryin to sort out said clarity or e) all of the above?

Anyway... I'm off now back to my padded cell. Just me and 1799, cuddling up for a quiet read... What could possibly go wrong?!?
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Cactus

Definitely e) all of the above.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

COMMANDO FORCES

Here's a linky to see how Dredd came about this week!

Spikes

Dredd - Ahh, this is better - feels more like post DoC. And some very nice art, to boot from the Campbell droid. Much to like in this episode.
Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 05 September, 2012, 03:59:34 PM
Here's a linky to see how Dredd came about this week!

Yes, thought that was you, on the 3rd page CF.

3riller As with last week, quality art, though having only just read this episode, it did seem to be a bit confusing as to what was happening (probably me!), so ill have to re-read it in its entirety.
Still enjoying Aquilla and Ichabod - definitely gonna have to either get the trade or the back issues for this Fella, and last of all Lenny......

..a fun series ive enjoyed immensely, but a more stupendous misstep is hard to imagine. And reading this weeks final episode (prog 1799), doesnt change that - and actually enforces that opinion.

Professor Bear

Three people doing something they normally wouldn't because they've been drugged, someone films it and makes a funny quip about cocks?
Seems that was always going to provoke a response from the readership to me and I'm one of those disappointed it had to see print in the comic.

But... I can't really comment further without knowing something of authorial intent otherwise any reading I might take would be presumptuous on my part and a disservice to Diggle and Smith, who for all we know may have discussed this very issue at length.

Link Prime

Thread resurrection!!!!

Was talking to Andy Diggle at the Dublin International Comic Expo last weekend, and of course I couldnt resist an attempt to make a former Tharg blush!
Andy claimed to be completely unaware of the recent Lenny Zero controversy, and told me he'd never even seen the artwork! The villain!
Having a copy of Prog 1798 on my person (ok, it was in my man-bag!), we had a little chuckle and Andy kindly signed a message for any offended forum users / readers;

CrazyFoxMachine

...he'd never seen the artwork....?

Link Prime

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Link Prime on 04 October, 2012, 01:18:44 PM
So he claimed. Bizarre eh?

Admittedly, my dealings with Tharg's editorial minions predates the ubiquitous use of email, but I didn't see  either the finished pages or the art until my comps turned up.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 04 October, 2012, 01:44:18 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 04 October, 2012, 01:18:44 PM
So he claimed. Bizarre eh?

Admittedly, my dealings with Tharg's editorial minions predates the ubiquitous use of email, but I didn't see  either the finished pages or the art until my comps turned up.

Cheers

Jim

I am given to understand that this is still true today.

Professor Bear

I'm not sure if it's better or worse that he never gave it a second thought.

CrazyFoxMachine

Well he's written "sorry!" and that was the first time he'd ever seen it so it's all fine.

...right?

Frank

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 04 October, 2012, 05:29:56 PM
Well he's written "sorry!" and that was the first time he'd ever seen it so it's all fine. ...right?

I think he was being sarcastic. With good reason.

Link Prime

Quote from: sauchie on 04 October, 2012, 05:46:48 PM
Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 04 October, 2012, 05:29:56 PM
Well he's written "sorry!" and that was the first time he'd ever seen it so it's all fine. ...right?

I think he was being sarcastic. With good reason.

Donc

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 04 October, 2012, 01:10:45 PM
...he'd never seen the artwork....?

Bullshitometre activated!  :lol:

He would have got the prog.