Main Menu

Dredd - Box Office

Started by MattJW, 02 September, 2012, 09:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

painbros22

I think they contain political content but are not political, Not The Nine O Clock News was random stuff not just politics. Brasseye was a satire of the media. The Thick O It now that's political in my eye's.

PreacherCain

Quote from: Something Fishy on 29 September, 2012, 03:01:23 PM
it's a bloody shame.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2012/09/25/will-dredd-3d-finally-kill-the-comic-con-myth/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

They have a point.  Comic Con tells us nothing about how ordinary folk will take to things. Promote it poorly at your peril.

That myth has been debunked for a while now. After both

PreacherCain

it's a bloody shame.

http://spinoff.comicbookresources.com/2012/09/25/will-dredd-3d-finally-kill-the-comic-con-myth/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

They have a point.  Comic Con tells us nothing about how ordinary folk will take to things. Promote it poorly at your peril.

That myth has been debunked for a while now. After both Watchmen and Scott Pilgrim bombed. In fact, I don't think anything that has got rave reviews at Comic-Con has done well in wide release.

JOE SOAP

District 9 first screened at ComicCon.

Steve Green

But if 2 out of the 3 Comic-con darlings bombed, you would question it...

Not sure how Suckerpunch went down there...

Gonk

Quote from: painbros22 on 30 September, 2012, 09:20:17 PM
Not even Larry Sanders no. Spoiled to death with things like The Frost Report, Not The Nine O Clock News, Brasseye. Only The Daily Show works for me, that is a funny show, but stuff live Saturday Night Live leaves me cold. Not an anti american thing, i just don't like american satire that much.

I always thought G.W. Dubya Bush was a hilarious comedian. 
coming at a cinema near you soon

The Sherman Kid

Quote from: PreacherCain on 30 September, 2012, 10:25:05 PM
it's a bloody shame.

Can it really be said its 'tanked' already?10 mill so far and still running...and it is R rated.Still time yet.

That myth has been debunked for a while now. After both Watchmen and Scott Pilgrim bombed. In fact, I don't think anything that has got rave reviews at Comic-Con has done well in wide release.

IndigoPrime

So we finally went before the film vanished locally—smallish screen in our local Showcase, with precisely six other people in the 7:30 screening. Mrs G and I both slightly woozy afterwards, but, fortunately, neither one of us is sick (although she's worse for wear than I am).

Overall, Mrs G liked the film at hated the 3D. She thought the film would have been better without it, but other than that, she thought this was interesting, she liked Anderson a lot, and she much preferred it to the last Batman film (which, to be fair, she disliked in a fairly big way). Me, I thought I was going to end up not liking it a huge deal—there was an odd 'dip' maybe a third of the way in; but after that, it really just built to the end, and I thought it was a very good film. I also liked the city—in many ways, this was precisely how I imagined MC-1 to be, and it still had some nice dark humour buried in there (the food court announcements in particular).

Also, did anyone spot the map on the schoolroom wall? Looks like they redrew in big-o-form the one from Anderson: Shamballa—I definitely spotted Ciudad Barranquilla on there!

The Sherman Kid

#Indigo -Been a real revelation that so many seem to have a real physical problem with 3D.Glad you enjoyed the film anyway.

blackmocco

Went to see it again this morning. It got moved to the smallest screen. I was the only person there so I just took it as my own private screening. It was supposed to start at 10.15. By 10.25, nothing was happening so I had to go ask them to start the movie. Sound was good but smaller screen meant some of the sound channels weren't there. No cleaning droid in the cafeteria, no bike commands to the crowd. Pretty sure it'll be gone next week. Frustrating to see Looper take $21 mil. No doubt it's a good movie but still smarts a bit seeing Dredd get ignored.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Dreddzilla

Just finished looking at Boxoficemojo and Dredd finally made it to the 10 million mark.
:'(

Stan

As always, it's all on Denmark.

shaolin_monkey

It looks like the 9pm showing this weds will be the last chance to see it in Cineworld Cardiff.   :'(

Michaelvk

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 01 October, 2012, 10:37:46 AM
It looks like the 9pm showing this weds will be the last chance to see it in Cineworld Cardiff.   :'(

Lets make it go out in style then.
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

norse_sage

Quote from: Borntohula on 30 September, 2012, 09:07:11 PM
Quote from: painbros22 on 30 September, 2012, 08:59:50 PM
American satire does nothing for me, its too damn obvious. Judge Dreck, har har. MAD only worked in cartoons that said nothing, the whacky stuff, that worked, but the satire was like a David Letterman monlogue.
I actually have the complete collection of Pyton, from first to last.
If anything, they are better to today, as piece of history and how they caught the zeitgeist of the time.

Did you have the Pyton magazine in Denmark in the 90s? They published some truly great parodies, for example "Teenage mutant ninja burgers".

I read it when I was young and stupid, and I still can't shit symmetrical because how hard I laughed.