Main Menu

Dredd - Box Office

Started by MattJW, 02 September, 2012, 09:44:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

painbros22

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 25 September, 2012, 05:10:33 PM
Quote from: chuffsteruk on 25 September, 2012, 04:59:51 PM
Pretty good.Piracy is rife there too, so I'm pleased it hasn't leaked online yet.

Only if they have 2D prints.

There is a filter they use so 3D movies become 2D, similar to the reverse 3D glasses. Approx 1.30 mins after Resi was released a cam hit the web, sometimes the pirates do this as a statement against Hollywood "release shit and we will cam it straight away". Its no secret that many of these release groups are populated by members of Anon.

CraveNoir

PsychoGoatee

Interesting article. In it they say it was primed to be a hit Rated-R action movie, and you see it called an action movie a lot. To me, it doesn't really watch like an action movie. It's more in the genre that Dirty Harry is to me, a crime thriller.

It's tense, in that we want to see the Judges survive these encounters, but it's not really played in an action movie way until very late in the film. I'm not sure how to put it, but the kind of retro violent cop movie it was, rather than an "action movie", doesn't really play by action genre rules of what satisfies the audience.

But then again, I do see others calling it an action packed movie. Maybe how you view the tone and what makes it "action" or "un-idealized violence" is up to the individual. It seems to play more on tension than having say complex action pieces or choreography.

Anyways, I love the movie and am about to go see it again now, but I can at least say I can guess why the usual action movie audience might not all find what they're looking for. Plus without a typically likeable or wise-cracking protagonist. The movie sets higher standards for itself which in a way makes it less easy for it to please the masses.

judge devs

Quote from: James Stacey on 25 September, 2012, 04:06:21 PM
Quote from: judge devs on 25 September, 2012, 04:05:23 PM
Quote from: PsychoGoatee on 25 September, 2012, 03:44:30 PM
Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 25 September, 2012, 03:42:14 PM
So the russians dig it then!

Almost exactly 1/3rd of the screens as in the US, and almost exactly 1/3rd of the money. So, it's pretty much the same reception. Yes, this math post was probably my nerdiest.  :P

Before we give each other a headache lets just stick to 'the Russians dig it'.  :)

But now I think about it 100% better as a proportion of the population is right.

That doesn't add up as they have less then half the population. That proportionally makes it 50% better. I think. :-*
If they have 1/2 the population its 100% better. I think. :-*

radiator

It seemed to have far more action than Dredd '95, which has remarkably few action scenes when you examine it - and I understand why it's being marketed as a straight action movie. I would personally put it in the same genre as Robocop etc etc - that sweet spot of sci-fi, action and satire.

I think what really carries the film is the pacing - which to me perhaps made it feel more action-packed than it actually is. It's got a great sense of pace to it and the film is carried along by a series of beats which starts with the very first shot of the film - some of them are action beats, but others are great exchanges of dialogue, bugout violence or fx or whatever. It's why it's so fun to watch with people who haven't seen it before and actually seems shorter and more perfectly formed each time you watch it.

judge devs

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 24 September, 2012, 09:35:33 PM
That's in 9 territories (Resident Evil is playing in 74 at the moment and has grossed around $140 mill).

I assume that those 9 are UK, RoI, US, Canada, Russia and Spain as I've heard people refer to screenings in all those but what are the other 3? I'm guessing France and Germany are two.

We're also hearing lots about people in the likes of Denmark, Holland, Aus, NZ and SA all waiting for it to come out have you got any idea what the global release schedule is?

MR. ELIMINATOR

I think there is too much focus in reviews on the fact that it is a 'faithful comic adaptation'. Yeah, that's good, but for people who aren't in to comics, or are sick of comic book movies, it might put them off. Dredd is such a great film I think it stands well on it's own even if you knew nothing about the character it was based on.

There's no super powers or anything, it is just a bad-ass action film.

I think the closest comparison I saw, can't remember where, is 'Robocop meets Die-Hard with better music'. Yeah, there is more to it then that, and you can argue that Robocop borrowed elements from Judge Dredd in the first place, but to people who don't know I think it is a pretty good description.

MR. ELIMINATOR

Also, I was thinking, do you think that film distributors would go for a sequel even if the first instalment didn't perform well, if a big name joined the crew? Like  a big star as the villain, or big name Director?

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: radiator on 25 September, 2012, 06:18:25 PM
It seemed to have far more action than Dredd '95, which has remarkably few action scenes when you examine it - and I understand why it's being marketed as a straight action movie. I would personally put it in the same genre as Robocop etc etc - that sweet spot of sci-fi, action and satire.

I think what really carries the film is the pacing - which to me perhaps made it feel more action-packed than it actually is. It's got a great sense of pace to it and the film is carried along by a series of beats which starts with the very first shot of the film - some of them are action beats, but others are great exchanges of dialogue, bugout violence or fx or whatever. It's why it's so fun to watch with people who haven't seen it before and actually seems shorter and more perfectly formed each time you watch it.

I can agree the most has a great pace with those beats, but just how I look at it more as a crime thriller, I don't really consider most of them "action beats". Take say, the scene with the gas. Or the scene where the guys in the room are on slo-mo.

It's fun from a plot sense to see how they overcome their enemies, but they don't overcome their enemies through an action scene, aka dodging gunfire back and forth, stylish flashy stuff, etc etc.

There is that later on, but yeah. I love that, it's interesting to see how they'll get out of each situation, and it's unique in that I don't think we've see a movie like that in quite a while. Reminds me a bit of John Carpenter movies.

locustsofdeath!

It's a shame that IDW's Dredd comic didn't hit shops, say...a year before the film. Just to raise awareness amongst US comics buyers.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: judge devs on 25 September, 2012, 06:19:31 PM
Quote from: JOE SOAP on 24 September, 2012, 09:35:33 PM
That's in 9 territories (Resident Evil is playing in 74 at the moment and has grossed around $140 mill).

I assume that those 9 are UK, RoI, US, Canada, Russia and Spain as I've heard people refer to screenings in all those but what are the other 3? I'm guessing France and Germany are two.

We're also hearing lots about people in the likes of Denmark, Holland, Aus, NZ and SA all waiting for it to come out have you got any idea what the global release schedule is?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1343727/releaseinfo

JOE SOAP

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 25 September, 2012, 06:27:21 PM
Also, I was thinking, do you think that film distributors would go for a sequel even if the first instalment didn't perform well, if a big name joined the crew? Like  a big star as the villain, or big name Director?

If no profit is made, then no, I don't think so.

flintlockjaw

It's been a long time since I posted...but for what it's worth. Here's what Mike Gallagher for the ComicGeekSpeak podcast had to say in response to the B.O. numbers. Mike worked in the theater industry for 18 years and was also manager of one of the huge movieplex places over here in the states.

"1 N End of Watch ORF $13,152,683 - 2,730 - $4,818 $13,152,683 $7 1
2 N House at the End of The Street Rela. $12,287,234 - 3,083 - $3,985 $12,287,234 $10 1
3 N Trouble with the Curve WB $12,162,040 - 3,212 - $3,786 $12,162,040 - 1
4 2 Finding Nemo (3D) BV $9,641,474 -42.2% 2,904 - $3,320 $30,175,449 - 2
5 1 Resident Evil: Retribution SGem $6,701,803 -68.2% 3,016 +4 $2,222 $33,469,530 $65 2
6 N Dredd LGF $6,278,491 - 2,506 - $2,505 $6,278,491 $50 1

I would not say that Dredd flopped, tanked, sunk.
It's a comic book movie of a character that either A. the average american has never heard of or B. the average American only knows from the stinkified Stallone film.
It is also a rated R film.
AND
this is September, the worst month of the year for films.
Trouble with the Curve opening at $12 mil is not a blockbuster. Far from it.
As kids are back in school and summer spending is over, any movie opening is going to struggle to get more than $3-$4 mil opening weekend.
Given all the factors running against Dredd (notice I didn't mention 3D) It is doing solid business.
Take that for what you will. It's not like I know this stuff.
Oh wait..........
"

JOE SOAP

I pretty much agree, Flint. Dredd is finding its legs, however long they may turn out to be.

PsychoGoatee

He does raise good points. I do disagree on one bit though, January is always referred to as the dumping ground for movies.