Previous topic - Next topic

Beaky Smoochies

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 09 October, 2012, 10:14:41 AM
Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 09 October, 2012, 08:01:07 AM
Quote from: Beaky Smoochies on 09 October, 2012, 05:20:31 AM
How do you know the production budget for Dredd was $35m specifically, Joe sir,
'Cos Alex told him, I suspect!
True.

Ah, I see now, good enough... would that be $35m before or after the 25% rebate on production costs from the South African government, then?  I still stand by my assertion that a Dredd sequel would or could be done in the relative short-term if it racks up enough on the home release market, I still think it's improbable but not impossible, but time will tell...
"When the people fear the government there is tyranny, when the government fear the people there is LIBERTY!" - Thomas Jefferson.

"That government is best which governs least" - Thomas Jefferson.

Dreddzilla

The Adventurer

No justice in this world.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

hippynumber1

IndigoPrime

Quote from: MR. ELIMINATOR on 09 October, 2012, 07:43:13 PMThe people funding this film must have known it was a risk financially, but for some reason they went for it
Because it was a calculated risk. The script was solid, and they were creating something for which they thought there would be enough demand. At the cinema, it turns out that wasn't the case, for whatever reasons.

QuoteIf they don't make their money back, instead of cutting their losses they could do another one?
If you're in a hole, why would you dig deeper? Also, although Dredd had to battle against the Stallone movie, a second new film so soon would now have to battle against that and a fairly poor box-office showing. Indie or not, I don't see why anyone would take such a crazy risk with many millions of dollars.

QuoteThe first film was massively well received, and raised awareness
To some degree, but not by that much. It's pretty clear many people avoided Dredd because they didn't know what it was, despite the positive reviews and advertising.

QuoteWishful thinking I know, but I don't think it's too crazy to think a sequel could still happen. Even if it takes several years before they even start trying to make another one, that's still cool with me.
I think if we're astonishingly lucky, there's a slim possibility the same team (or most of it) could reunite for a sequel if the rental market went absolutely bananas for Dredd. But I still think we're going to see another Serenity—strong sales, strong rentals, some vindication, but no chance of another movie. I hope I'm wrong, but I just can't see the business case for firing up a second Dredd movie.

The Adventurer

Anyone afraid of a series of rubbish direct-to-DVD Dredd movies could follow if the DREDD 3D home video ends up a sleeper hit?

Although... if handled correctly, could work. With the right focus.

You know. Not like Starship Troopers has ended up.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Richmond Clements

Quote from: The Adventurer on 10 October, 2012, 10:02:31 AM
Anyone afraid of a series of rubbish direct-to-DVD Dredd movies could follow if the DREDD 3D home video ends up a sleeper hit?

Although... if handled correctly, could work. With the right focus.

You know. Not like Starship Troopers has ended up.
Let's not start worrying about these things quite yet...

Michaelvk

I did ST3.. It was awful.. Which is a shame..
You have never felt pain until you've trodden barefoot on an upturned lego brick..

James Stacey

Compared to ST2, ST3 was quite good. Bag of wank compared to ST1 though.

Proudhuff

Does anyone know the up to date figures?
DDT did a job on me

chuffsteruk

Quote from: Proudhuff on 10 October, 2012, 11:16:22 AM

As of yesterday, Dredd had made $12,812,235 in the US.

Proudhuff

Quote from: chuffsteruk on 10 October, 2012, 11:20:01 AM

gah! that's not good news is it?
DDT did a job on me

Spaceghost

Quote from: Proudhuff on 10 October, 2012, 11:22:45 AM
Quote from: chuffsteruk on 10 October, 2012, 11:20:01 AM

gah! that's not good news is it?

No, it's awful. All throughout the production of this film I've been confident that it was eventually going to do well. This is worse than I ever imagined it could be. Totally depressing considering the film is so bloody good.

Don't mean to wallow in the mire, I'm sure everyone feels the same.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Dash Decent

It will be interesting to see how well the IDW comic does, in light of the U.S. response to the movie.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

radiator

Yep, safe to say with those figures that there will be no sequels (and frankly I'd prefer no sequels at all to straight to DVD sequels - and I'd like to think that there are contracts in place to prevent that from happening).

It's sad - very sad, but as others have said we should be grateful that a film like DREDD can still be made at all in the age of Taken 2, Underworld and Resident Evil.

I've seen an alarming amount of people on Twitter saying Dredd was 'boring', and I've come to the conclusion that what they mean is that it didn't have loads of ludicrously staged and choreographed OTT action scenes, because it seems empty spectacle is what the majority want to see above all else in these type of films.

I've been watching Red Letter Media's reviews of the Resident Evil series, and having never seen any of them before (I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole) I'm genuinely staggered at what passes for an action movie these days. If this is what the new generation has grown up with no wonder they didn't respond to Dredd. Their loss.