Main Menu

Comic adaptations of the movie...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 15 September, 2012, 05:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmallBlueThing

Inspired by talk of the ALIEN adaptation re-release over on another bit of the forum, does anybody out there have a full list of comic adaptations of movies?

And before some smartarse pops up with a "neuhh, go to google"- as if the information being possibly readily available elsewhere negates the pleasure of instigating conversation, also what are your favourites?

SBT

Greg M.

I'm very fond of the 'Creepshow' adaptation - some beautiful Berni Wrightson art on that. It's also more gruesome at points than the film, particularly the bits with 'Fluffy' from 'The Crate' section.

MIKE COLLINS

QuoteAnd before some smartarse pops up with a "neuhh, go to google"- as if the information being possibly readily available elsewhere negates the pleasure of instigating conversation, also what are your favourites?

The adaptation of DUNE by Bill Sienkiewicz has to be seen to be believed. Gloriously insane; Al Williamson's adaptation of FLASH GORDON is just fantastic, in an old school style; if you can find 'em, Alex Toth's work for Dell in the 60s fetched up some amazing movies to comics-- Darby O'Gill and The Little People!-- which give you a clue to the beating heart at the centre of Steve Yeowell's style; my absolute favourite though is the adaptation of 1941 by Steve Bissette, Rick Vietch and their mates-- some pages are just collages of 40s memorabilia and tat. If anything, it's more frenetic than the movie.

hoops

Quote from: MIKE COLLINS on 15 September, 2012, 06:15:47 PMThe adaptation of DUNE by Bill Sienkiewicz has to be seen to be believed.

Cool, never knew about that.

Mattofthespurs

Quote from: Greg M. on 15 September, 2012, 06:14:40 PM
I'm very fond of the 'Creepshow' adaptation - some beautiful Berni Wrightson art on that. It's also more gruesome at points than the film, particularly the bits with 'Fluffy' from 'The Crate' section.

That is a top class adaptation.

JOE SOAP

Trout

Thread of the year. More, please!
(I have nothing to add, I'm afraid.)

IAMTHESYSTEM

The Bladerunner Comic adapted from the Movie was drawn by Al Williamson and still looks good. I still think the comic version of the Film Outland, drawn by Jim Sterenko is a superb art job with some inspirational page designs.

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

JOE SOAP

Working retrospectively:

"Who Goes there?" 1976 comic adaptation (Starstream magazine) of the John W. Campbell Jr. story that Carpenter's the Thing was based on.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Have you ever heard of Star Wars: Age 9? It's great fun. A comic A guy made all by himself back in '77 when he was nine:

You may quote me on that.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 15 September, 2012, 07:17:04 PM
Jack Kirby's 2001: a space odyssey

One of the few 70s Kirby things I don't own in some form or other. Man I would love to get my hands on this. The follow-up series is probably one of the finest post movie based comics projects ever. In fact one of the great comics actually.

Since the great Al Williamson has been mentioned twice already his work on Empire Strikes Back always seem to obvious to get mentioned in this type of tread but is quite exception... well it is Al Williamson!

strontium71

...because I hate you.

CraveNoir

There was a 4-part Bram Stoker's Dracula with great art by Mike Mignola, just before he began Hellboy.
http://draculand.blogspot.co.uk/2009/08/dracula-bram-stokers-1992.html

Richmond Clements

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 15 September, 2012, 07:17:04 PM
Jack Kirby's 2001: a space odyssey

Mr Boo Cook has a rather superb tattoo of a panel from this.

SmallBlueThing

Thankyou, everyone, for contributing to this thread. I cant wait to see what you've put- im on phone, no pics at present- and joe, that 'who goes there?' adaptation must find a home here sharpish! Id forgotten the 'bladerunner' one. Really didnt like that at the time, as the over-reliance on photos annoyed me- but again, i'd love to have a look now.

The Halls of Horror/ House of Hammer versions of various Hammer films also did it for me when i found a box of them outide a junkshop in about 1990.

SBT