Main Menu

Bit annoying!

Started by Judge Fudge, 23 September, 2012, 09:01:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mabs

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 06 November, 2012, 12:12:37 PM
I tried to warn the Empire mods at the start, but was basically told to go away and mind my own business - so drokk them, I say!

The Empire forum is really great, but their only problem is the constant influx of spammers and trolls. I feel if they had a similar system to yours it would really help to cut down on these twats.  but its still going on even as we speak....
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Judge Savage

Its all good, this is the standard on a lot of message boards. You start off slow and move your way into the big kids pool . lol Just glad to be here

Proudhuff

Quote from: Judge Savage on 07 November, 2012, 02:55:25 PM
Its all good, this is the standard on a lot of message boards. You start off slow and move your way into the big kids pool . lol Just glad to be here

welcome!! come on in the water loverly... and most of us don't even bite!!  ;)
DDT did a job on me

Rusty

Quote from: Trout on 06 November, 2012, 12:46:37 PM
It's the lesser of two evils. Trust me: nobody wants the bad times to come back. The person we're referring to has a mental illness, in a way that is very specific to this comic and this message board. He kills forums. We won't let him try to kill this one again.

Anyone who's new has this thread to say hello and to prove they are human. Hello, new people!
If it's the same prick I've noticed on certain message boards regarding comics and film, then I'd say he's a bit of a head case too. Does he constantly go on about Garland being a hack and that the film was poorly written?

Surely if you're deemed to be a spammer or a troll, then you should get a ticking off for doing so, then if you persist a ban is warranted? Can the mods not just check the IP address of new posters and tell where they are from? I suppose a proxy server could circumvent that?

Frank

Quote from: Rusty on 08 November, 2012, 11:23:32 PM
It's the lesser of two evils. Trust me: nobody wants the bad times to come back. The person we're referring to has a mental illness, in a way that is very specific to this comic and this message board. He kills forums. We won't let him try to kill this one again.

If it's the same prick I've noticed on certain message boards regarding comics and film, then I'd say he's a bit of a head case too. Does he constantly go on about Garland being a hack and that the film was poorly written?

You're a very perceptive young man, Rusty.

Rusty

Quote from: sauchie on 09 November, 2012, 12:04:51 AM

LOL so that is him. Jesus, he's persistent, isn't he?

Andy Smart

I signed up a couple of weeks ago, waited to post my opinions on the prog and now it seems I've got to prove my humanity before I'm allowed to say anything. Slightly frustrating but I guess it's probably necessary given what I've seen on other boards/social spaces.

Anyways: Hi I'm Andy, I'm an animator and my first prog was 838.

Andy Smart

In more not-a-spam-bot news:

It had an Armoured Gideon cover, contained a Garth Ennis Muzak Killer story, Firekind, Purgatory and probably the first Tharg's Terror Tale which gave me the chills and affected me more than any other comic strip (I was 8 at the time)

Trout

Quote from: Rusty on 09 November, 2012, 12:24:36 AM
Quote from: sauchie on 09 November, 2012, 12:04:51 AM

LOL so that is him. Jesus, he's persistent, isn't he?

It's more that he's mentally ill. If it wasn't such an anti-social illness we might feel sorry for him.

MercZ

Quote from: Andy Smart on 09 November, 2012, 02:27:09 AM
I signed up a couple of weeks ago, waited to post my opinions on the prog and now it seems I've got to prove my humanity before I'm allowed to say anything. Slightly frustrating but I guess it's probably necessary given what I've seen on other boards/social spaces.

Anyways: Hi I'm Andy, I'm an animator and my first prog was 838.

I'm not entirely sure what are the standards as to when the noobs are allowed to mix with the general populace. Is this by approval from moderators/admins or is there a certain post and/or forum time threshold? I've noticed I can post in some of the general sub-forums now when I originally couldn't. Or at least I think I couldn't. It's all muddled to me now.

Judge Fish

That was one of the general points I was trying to make earlier. It's not that anyone objects to going through a screening or assessment type process, but without any indication as to what the requirements are to prove ones-self, or even a rough approximation on how long doing so could generally be expected to take, it is like being caught up in some kind of limbo, without having any idea when, or even if, you'll move on to the next phase of existence.
Bloop.

Rusty

Can't the newbies at least be allowed to update their avatar? I feel naked without one. Internet forums in general usually tend to follow the same rules regarding newbies. Low post count and lack of avatar = lower life form to be treated with caution, or sometimes not very seriously.  :lol:

Was there a spammer on here the posted rude pics in his avatar or something?

Richmond Clements

I have brought this to the attention of mods with more superpowers than me.

FinH

Quote from: Judge Fish on 09 November, 2012, 11:12:05 AM
That was one of the general points I was trying to make earlier. It's not that anyone objects to going through a screening or assessment type process, but without any indication as to what the requirements are to prove ones-self, or even a rough approximation on how long doing so could generally be expected to take, it is like being caught up in some kind of limbo, without having any idea when, or even if, you'll move on to the next phase of existence.

Anyone have any light they can shed on this, as I've been wondering the same thing? I also agree with the fella who was asking about new members being able to post an avatar: it sort of feels like we're considered so below the radar and inconsequential that there's no point visually distinguishing us from one another...

Mabs

Quote from: FinH on 10 November, 2012, 01:30:51 AM
Quote from: Judge Fish on 09 November, 2012, 11:12:05 AM

Anyone have any light they can shed on this, as I've been wondering the same thing? I also agree with the fella who was asking about new members being able to post an avatar: it sort of feels like we're considered so below the radar and inconsequential that there's no point visually distinguishing us from one another...

Damn. Something needs to change here...and while you're at it please please have a proper edit button - those are my only gripes with the forum.  :-\
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie