Main Menu

I've read 2000AD from Prog 1 - now a haunted refugee from IMDB Dredd boards

Started by Samson_k, 24 September, 2012, 10:29:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Samson_k

A fiat full of clowns - like an aborted David Lynch ad campaign...

I went in my Citroen and had the Dredd soundtrack playing and on the way home there was quite a lot of scowling at other motorists and when I bought some milk out of the local shop there was a wee bit of raspy shopping going on.

My missus gave me a row when I got home and told me to grow up.

I'm hoping that she'll have time to come with me when I go again on Thursday.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Samson_k on 24 September, 2012, 07:34:28 PM

I hope you told her that Ma-Ma is not the law in your house, YOU are the law.

SuperSurfer

Welcome to your new home, Samson_k. We are a pretty sane bunch round here.

Like you, I am a prog oner apart from the (quite common) long walk of the 90s. My space spinner's fate was sealed when my younger brother tore it to pieces. Yours had a more poetic finale.

Samson_k

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 September, 2012, 07:40:13 PM
Quote from: Samson_k on 24 September, 2012, 07:34:28 PM

I hope you told her that Ma-Ma is not the law in your house, YOU are the law.

I kind of sort of did - but I waited until she was upstairs and I didn't do it into a PA system - but I think she got the message...

Samson_k

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 24 September, 2012, 07:50:02 PM
Welcome to your new home, Samson_k. We are a pretty sane bunch round here.

Like you, I am a prog oner apart from the (quite common) long walk of the 90s. My space spinner's fate was sealed when my younger brother tore it to pieces. Yours had a more poetic finale.

From the reading I've done it seems like a good forum.

The only reason I didn't give up at all was largely because my dad still wanted to read it and every few weeks I'd get an envelope from home with two or three issues of 2000AD - he would have loved the Dredd film if he'd still been about to be honest.

He disliked the 95 one - 'I'm no watching that big lump playing Dredd - have you seen what he's got going on under his belt.' was a quote that I remember vividly.

I suspect that my space spinner might still be there or the green lady got it in between bouts of stealing kids faces.

sharkeyfinn

Quote from: Dandontdare on 24 September, 2012, 06:38:08 PM
Quote from: sharkeyfinn on 24 September, 2012, 06:26:53 PM
one question? do you suffer with trolls here?

Our mods have Dredd-like sentencing powers, so not so much!  :D. The 'probationary' period seems to weed out most of the bots and total fruitcakes, but if anyone gets out of order, it's a smallish community, so they tend to be reported and removed pretty quickly.

and welcome!
thanks dan thats reassuring ;-) and thanks for the welcome

judge devs

Samson,

Nice introduction on your part. If you thought Dr Who forums were full of precious wankers who can't accept a bit of constructive criticism or an alternative view point then never ever, ever join a forum/message board for any band. EVER!!

I stayed off all message boards for years after being amazed at the rabid fantaticism of these people. This site is the one the few forums that actually has some level head people on it.

Frank

See - IMDB is good for something. Glad it brought you here, Samson (i); and well done for getting a Rod Taylor reference in early doors. Start as you mean to go on, I suppose. Samson's one of the funniest guys I've ever met, and his knowledge of genre is formidable; if he hadn't found his own way here, we'd have had to headhunt him. Chalk another one up to the Jock contingent!

(i) treated yourself to a capital letter here, I see

Samson_k

Quote from: judge devs on 24 September, 2012, 08:52:51 PM
Samson,

Nice introduction on your part. If you thought Dr Who forums were full of precious wankers who can't accept a bit of constructive criticism or an alternative view point then never ever, ever join a forum/message board for any band. EVER!!

I stayed off all message boards for years after being amazed at the rabid fantaticism of these people. This site is the one the few forums that actually has some level head people on it.

I have never dipped my toes into online music fandom - bearing in mind that much as I like various kinds of music I did for quite a long time believe that Brian May from Queen wrote the soundtrack to the first two Mad Max films - so I'd be out of my depth.

I once met a guy who was living in a caravan park in the middle of nowhere as he was hiding from three Whovians - Whovers - never sure - from Castlemilk after he had called Jon Pertwee a big camp ham.

Fandom can be scary.

Samson_k

Quote from: bikini kill on 24 September, 2012, 09:44:07 PM
See - IMDB is good for something. Glad it brought you here, Samson (i); and well done for getting a Rod Taylor reference in early doors. Start as you mean to go on, I suppose. Samson's one of the funniest guys I've ever met, and his knowledge of genre is formidable; if he hadn't found his own way here, we'd have had to headhunt him. Chalk another one up to the Jock contingent!

(i) treated yourself to a capital letter here, I see

Aye - I thought samson sounded a bit submissive and I've gained confidence since those days...

In saying that you've got a whole different angle going on here - bikini kill - if I'd known that you were allowed to change your username to band names on different boards then I'd have been the St Winifred School Choir, Wind and Fire - one of the most disastrous team-ups in music history.

And I do mean to be a productive member of the forum - once I've read loads of threads and know where all the suicidal accountant film buff OCD depressives are hanging out.

adogg4629

I managed to get my GF to come out with me to see this.  We even got a sitter for the kids.  I believe her when she says that she liked it, but a part of me suspects that I'll be stuck taking her to RomComs for the foreseeable future.

Bat King

Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Samson_k on 24 September, 2012, 10:29:22 AM

... to my suggestion that the Rani was and always would be rubbish.

Aha! A man of taste & refinement.

Welcome Sampson. Do be a good chap, pull up a chair & make yourself comfortable.

The Wells boy will be around in a trice with the drinks trolley & some of that bracing Coripiean toot.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Dandontdare

Quote from: Samson_k on 24 September, 2012, 10:13:59 PMI once met a guy who was living in a caravan park in the middle of nowhere as he was hiding from three Whovians - Whovers - never sure - from Castlemilk after he had called Jon Pertwee a big camp ham.

:lol: That's one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

judge devs

Quote from: Dandontdare on 25 September, 2012, 12:13:44 PM
Quote from: Samson_k on 24 September, 2012, 10:13:59 PMI once met a guy who was living in a caravan park in the middle of nowhere as he was hiding from three Whovians - Whovers - never sure - from Castlemilk after he had called Jon Pertwee a big camp ham.

:lol: That's one of the funniest things I've ever heard.

Isn't the easiest and obvious gag about the collective noun for Dr Who fans is Whores?

But you're right that is hilarious  :lol: