Main Menu

Prog 1803 - Splashdown

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 29 September, 2012, 08:50:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Green

Trout

Rog69

A very strong prog this week, loved the Hammerstein swamp thing cover.

Dredd - Superb stuff, this is really scratching my itch for some meaty post DoC progression in Dredd's world. Hershey tearing a strip off Dredd was a classic moment. The story was so dense I actually went back and counted the pages, it felt like we got a double helping of Dredd this week.
As a meg non-reader, can someone fill me in on Bachmann and the "Family man" story refereed to in the Thargnote?

ABC's Lovely art but the story isn't really doing it for me.

Brass sun Great stuff, this has pulled me in from the start, any other week and this would be my top thrill.

Twisted Tales OK. I do like these but I think they would be better if they were shorter, I always have to stop myself skimming over the last couple of pages to reach the end.

Pete Wells

I forgot to say, I loved how the swamp vegetation made the panel boarders in ABC's this week, supoib!

JUDGE BURNS

The only recent time I remember tea and biscuits was when DREDD visited his neice Vienna,   but it can't be her.

I will have to dig into my archived progs/case files to read the stories after the Cal storyline.  Happy reading for me today :-)

Richard

Not sure about the opinion that not much happened in Brass Sun. The main bad guy got killed off, I thought he was going to be her nemesis in the final episode and now pretty much the whole cast of this story had been wiped out in this and last weeks' episodes.

Keef Monkey

Nice to get a Saturday prog after my postie stiffing me last weekend!

Cover - I got a bit excited looking at this, just because Hammerstein looks so badass.

Dredd - This was fantastic this week, so much intrigue (I can't work out who the biscuit man is but I'm very, very looking forward to finding out. Also the missus was terribly pleased that Judge Fish got a mention as she's a big fan). Hershey's smack talk was just brilliant, and really well handled. I actually chuckled out loud at the "if you'd rather storm into my office at random and blackmail me with that badge you'll never give up", shaking my head and saying to myself "he really does doesn't he". Plus it's nice to be reminded now and then that Hershey is the Chief and Dredd, as legendary as he is, is still lower on the food chain.

ABC Warriors - I'm enjoying this partly for the gorgeous art and partly because with it being Hammerstein off on his own there's no opportunity to waste several pages basically introducing the characters again and giving them all a line each. It's become such a Mills-ism that when it happens I squirm a bit, and it happened 2 weeks in a row on this run. This is good vintage thrills and I'm liking it a lot.

Brass Sun - This has been great, there's some lovely world-building still going on, but not at the expense of pace. It's properly rattling forward with a nice big event every week. Brilliant.

Twisted Tales - I used to really like these, but the last couple have been a bit of a struggle. I just can't work out what's going on for the majority of the panels, which I didn't find a problem on the earlier tales. I usually just piece it together from a small handful of panels, this week I could only really follow the last page and it had a nice playful twist to it (whereas I didn't feel it went anywhere unpredictable last week). These are great when I can follow them, but I just can't at the moment.

Grey Area - I like Grey Area a lot, it manages to cover quite a wide range of stories and this diplomatic immunity thing has been a nice spin on it.

coastguardjackuk

A wonderful prog only slightly marred by the Byrne droid's offering. The crazy duck one last week was brilliant I thought but this week, well I kind of gave up when I thought that thing was climbing into that bigger thing's arse. will re-read after reading other squaxx theories today.
Dredd was amazing wasn't it. Best for a good few weeks. The inter-play between Dredd and Hershey was absolute class. Grey Area is next best for me. Really great story and I hope it runs and runs. I like Brass Sun and am prepared to give it more than the benefit of the doubt.
Building up a nice crust since 1969...

opaque

Cover -Lovely, we're having a great range recently

Dredd - Lovely to have the organisational structure gone over. This is certainly the sort of thing we need to see now after DOC. And you have the evil ones in charge as they are the ones that can get things done when necessary.

ABC Warriors - Back to the original stories. Very nice.

Brass Sun - It's getting there, but it's taking up a lot of space. Nice artwork but it's very bare for me.

Twisted Tales -Sorry but we've had too many of these now. I like the quality of the artwork but it's practically the same thing each time. Can we get away from the rat/mole people?

Grey Area - I'm wondering where this is going now really.

I, Cosh

That man and his fish = Cap'n Skank.
We never really die.

Eme

[spoiler]theres something about the wordage of the voice to dredd that is familiar, childish or young or something, the 'glowing friend' makes me thing of a computer ( that block whose AI went odd, maybe, or even the imaginary horned/angel/baby friend of that dodgey judge many years back.). Even that classical music reference to me seems intentional and a clue..., wish my memory wasnt so bad ;)[/spoiler]

I, Cosh

Quote from: Eme on 02 October, 2012, 08:55:13 AM
Even that classical music reference to me seems intentional and a clue..., wish my memory wasnt so bad
It's a line from Birdhouse in Your Soul by They Might Be Giants. Possibly the most annoying song in he history of popular music.
We never really die.

Mikey

Quote from: Cactus on 29 September, 2012, 12:12:28 PM

It's funny you should say that. When they tried to [spoiler]arrest the ambassador[/spoiler] I thought to myself "this is the big story that Grey Area's been lacking." I take it you didn't see it that way?

Well, yes at the minute. So far it's had a tight focus despite the premise and the investigations have been relatively quickly resolved. There's plenty of threads to pull from those investigations but I as yet don't see them all combining into something,well, bigger than the sum of it's parts. It's a minor point because I also like the fact it's being given time to develop the world and characters from 'low key' beginnings - something that I think Mr Abnett is very adept at, so maybe I'm anticipating a Kingdom style stealth Thrill from it.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

James Stacey

Quote from: The Cosh on 02 October, 2012, 10:35:19 AM
Even that classical music reference to me seems intentional and a clue..., wish my memory wasnt so bad
It's a line from Birdhouse in Your Soul by They Might Be Giants. Possibly the most annoying song in he history of popular music.
which is oddly playing on the radio this very minute.

Eme

Quote from: The Cosh on 02 October, 2012, 10:35:19 AM

just had to watch the video :)