Main Menu

Malta Comic Convention

Started by Richmond Clements, 14 October, 2012, 10:47:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

TordelBack

Richmond Clements

Cheers man. I'm going to King's Landing, baby!

Professor Bear

Who is that baffled Chinese wizard they've got in that photo?  Is he going to the con to kill Jack Burton?

maryanddavid

Jammy B. Have a great time, Malta supposed to be great.

Richmond Clements

Richmond Clements

I know... I was doing the next line!

Jim_Campbell

Whatever you do, do not swim in the sea.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Link Prime

Love Valetta, you gotta check out 'Aarons Kitchen' for dinner one night Richmond- unbelievable food!

GordonR

Don't forget to visit the charmingly named The Pub (Archbishop Street, Valetta) where you can relive Oliver Reed's last moments by drunkenly arm-wrestling some British sailors before suffering a massive and fatal heart attack.

Recommended - Valetta, all of it. The Three Cities. The silent city of Mdina. The catacombs in Rabat, and nearby St. Paul's Church.

Not recommended - the Popeye Village. Malta - the place where they preserve as a tourist attraction the set for a decades-ago flop film that absolutely no-one remembers, yet immediately tear down the Ancient Rome/Collosseum set for Gladiator. Well done, lads!

Richmond Clements

Popeye Village you say?
That sounds magnificent! Never mind yer beautiful medieval buildings and centuries of incredible history! POPEYE VILLAGE!

GordonR

Surely you remember 1980 box office smash Popeye, the film that almost ended Robin Williams' early movie career and pretty much trashed director Robert Altman's for the next 12 years? The Maltese certainly do, since they've kept the set standing for 32 years.

Unfortunately, no-one saw fit to similarly preserve the set for the (also Malta-filmed) 2002 box office smash Swept Away, starring Madonna and directed by Guy Ritchie.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: GordonR on 16 October, 2012, 02:52:52 PM
Surely you remember 1980 box office smash Popeye, the film that almost ended Robin Williams' early movie career and pretty much trashed director Robert Altman's for the next 12 years? The Maltese certainly do, since they've kept the set standing for 32 years.

Unfortunately, no-one saw fit to similarly preserve the set for the (also Malta-filmed) 2002 box office smash Swept Away, starring Madonna and directed by Guy Ritchie.

I do indeed remember it. In fact, I'm pretty sure I saw that movie in the cinema at the time... it was shit even then.
I have not had the pleasure of seeing said Madonna film, however.

But as I said: King's Landing!

radiator

I went to Malta very briefly a few years ago, but only to get to the neighbouring island of Gozo, which you can reach by ferry. Well worth a visit - lovely place, tranquil and largely unspoilt compared to Malta itself.

The Dothraki Wedding scene was filmed at the Azure Window, which is in Gozo.

Gorgeous red sand beach on the north of the island.

The 'capital' Victoria is a lovely little town.