Main Menu

Stuff you really should love, but just don't...

Started by mygrimmbrother, 19 October, 2012, 03:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I would extend Firefly to everything Joss Whedon has ever done.
You may quote me on that.

JamesC

Foods that are a 'delicacy' in general.

Lobster? I'd rather have steak.

Oysters? I'd rather have a Big Mac.

Greg Wallace? I'd rather be shit at cooking and punch you.

Daveycandlish

The Battlestar Galactica reboot. I loved the cheesy spandex version with shiny chrome men in suit Cylons but cannot get away with the hand held camera CGI recent take on it. There. I've said it.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

TordelBack

1.  Reservoir Dogs.
2.  Preacher.
3.  Brazilians (the topiary, not the people).
4.  Gin.
5.  Tonic.
6.  Opera.

But I love Greg Wallace.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 19 October, 2012, 05:06:00 PM
The Battlestar Galactica reboot.

Yep. Not just crap, but crap that thought it was cleverer than it was.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

radiator

Think some people are missing the point a bit. It's stuff you feel as if you SHOULD like but don't (I like zombies, i like comics, but dont like The Walking Dead) rather than a random list of things you don't like.

TordelBack

Quote from: radiator on 19 October, 2012, 05:14:36 PM
Think some people are missing the point a bit. It's stuff you feel as if you SHOULD like but don't (I like zombies, i like comics, but dont like The Walking Dead) rather than a random list of things you don't like.

1.  Reservoir Dogs.  I like Tarrantino, I like stylish violence, I hate this.
2.  Preacher.  I like Ennis, I like stylish violence, I just can't warm to this.
3.  Brazilians (the topiary, not the people).  I like naked ladies, so you'd think ladies that are even more naked would appeal even more.  But they really don't.
4.  Gin.  I like most forms of alcohol, and this G&Ts always looks so tempting... but yerrgh.
5.  Tonic.  See above.  So it's not just the gin.
6.  Opera.  So impressive, so dramatic, so beautifully staged.  Why can't I stand a single note?

Professor Bear

Well it is what it is.
Wine - I know beer doesn't taste great either, but wine is like beer into which someone has poured vinegar.  NO.
Chicken - it's not for me.
Simping Detective - haha like Singing Detective but Simping is a thing in Dredd so that pun can at best be a one-off five page story that might be vaguely amusing twenty-six years ago when Singing Detective is a relevant pop cultural element HOLY FUCK THEY ARE STILL MAKING THIS COMIC IN 2012.  Not for me.
Also Galactica reboot for me: obnoxious and ham-fisted, it imitates but never innovates and unlike the one with the creepy monkey robot couldn't pretend to be a kids' show so it could get away with a lack of black people and all the women being sexy robots, which for some reason no-one cared about anyway because at the end of the day it really is only sci-fi.  Also every time Apollo is on the screen I get all tourettes going "FUCK OFF JUST FUCK OFF FUCK OFF NOW YOU ARE AWFUL JUST AWFUL JUST STOP YOU FUCKING AWFUL ACTOR" (see also: female Starbuck).  Though I appreciate it giving Michael Hogan's career a shot in the arm, this doesn't excuse that its premise, cast, and overall story arc is identical to 1980s kids cartoon Robotech.
Greg Rucka's Batwoman comics: a butch, sexually agressive tattooed and pierced bodybuilder with daddy issues is apparently a groundbreaking portrayal of a lesbian.  Okay.
Walking Dead.  Liked the comics until the tv show came out, then the shrill fandom ruined both for me.  But not you guys - you guys are okay.  It's those other jerks I'm on about.

mogzilla

I, Cosh

Radiohead. A band so self-consciously arty and up themselves that their blend of guitars and diluted electronic noises seems almost specifically designed to appeal to me. Yet I just find them a bit dull.

Also agree about Firefly, although that might be more to do with how OTT its supporters are.
We never really die.

Albion

Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Frank

TordelBack

Quote from: sauchie on 19 October, 2012, 06:57:28 PM
Children.

There's a Saville joke in there somewhere, if only I had the heart to pursue it...

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Here's some controversy: The current run of strips in the Meg
You may quote me on that.