Main Menu

Prog 1808 - Judge Klegg

Started by oshii, 03 November, 2012, 10:33:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strontium71

...because I hate you.

Mikey

I imagine you ain't seen nothing yet,younglings. (It clicked with me this week)

It was always going to be tough to follow last week as has been said,but by Jovus I think they pulled it off! Love how The Three have bounced back off their (first) convergence-all in top form too,with Low Life winning by a head bump. Brilliant stuff, I'm loving it!

ABCs was superb this week too with a dark and angry undertone,just like good Mills should be.

And Brass Sun is still just wonderful. Seems wrong to give it only one line,but there's only so many ways to say I love it.

The greatness continues, Tharg. Keep 'er lit.

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

vzzbux

Maybe the whole thing is a big set up to weed out Bachmann. With corrupt Judges close to the top being an integral part of the chaos bug succeeding and the Sinfield debarcle before hand a third strike so soon may be a bit too much.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Pete Wells

For the young 'uns who don't get the Bachman Turner Overdrive reference, let's rock!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7miRCLeFSJo

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Pete Wells on 05 November, 2012, 11:48:18 PM
For the young 'uns who don't get the Bachman Turner Overdrive reference, let's rock!:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7miRCLeFSJo

Aw cripes, I love that song! Turns out I do know their stuff after all then, just somehow missed catching the band name all these years.
@jamesfeistdraws

Pete Wells

The song was a running joke on the Harry Enfield Show. Smashy and Nicey, two 80's style Radio 1 DJ's (shown higher up in this very thread), used to play it over and over again, with the preface "Let's Rock!"

Mikey

Quote from: Pete Wells on 05 November, 2012, 11:48:18 PM

Also covered regularly by The Almighty in their early live shows, pop pickers!

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Banners

Quote from: Mikey

Also covered regularly by The Almighty in their early live shows, pop pickers!

M.

And by The Icicle Works (available on the Live At The Albert Lark Lane 7").

Proudhuff

They were the reason we fought the punk wars! In my day yadda yaada... contd page 65
DDT did a job on me

Goaty

Woohoo! This prog appears on digital in ClickWheel today! awesome!

That is great prog, need to re-read all again!

Love Flint's Lawmaster!

zombemybabynow

Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Dark Jimbo

Does anyone else now hear a rough approximation of the Dredd soundtrack thumping away in the background while Joe does his monologing?
@jamesfeistdraws

Proudhuff

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 07 November, 2012, 03:30:58 PM
Does anyone else now hear a rough approximation of the Dredd soundtrack thumping away in the background while Joe does his monologing?

Nope,  in my world its a Tom Waits' instumental
DDT did a job on me

a chosen rider

Cover - Must confess that this doesn't quite work for me; something about the head-on perspective just seems weird.

Dredd - As last week, superb in every way.  I love the reference to the perp having seen Cal's Kleggs on the vid as a three-year-old - really drives home the depth of history at play here.  Also love the idea of Dredd being able to understand but not condone Judges suffering emotional breakdowns; underscores both how far he's come emotionally and the ways in which he hasn't changed.  Is Henry Flint's art getting even better?  I do believe it is.  Madness.

ABC Warriors - Wow, the [spoiler]blood[/spoiler] here comes across as unexpectedly and impressively nasty.  And that final splash page is great.  Overall this series has been very much up and down, but this is a really strong instalment without the usual squinting past flaws to see it that way.  Thumbs up!

Brass Sun - This continues to be beautiful, but I must admit I'm starting to get a wee bit bored with the constant twists and turns; I'd like to get a clearer sense of the stakes and where this is all heading sometime soon.  Still enjoyable stuff, though.

Low Life - D'Israeli's sensitive Klegg face in the first panel is the best.  Is it me, or is that Murd the Oppressor among that group facing Frank at the end?  ...I struggle for things to say about this strip, because it's simply just delightful in every way.  I could read whole progs of nothing but Dirty Frank's adventures.

Simping Detective - Love that panel of Point meeting the simps at the bottom of page one.  Coleby's art continues to grow on me more and more each week.  I also kinda love that the simps' dialogue is basically the equivalent of that Blackadder episode where he was trying to convince people he was mad by interjecting the word 'wibble' every so often.  I do find it very hard to believe that Mega-City law allows any sort of diplomatic immunity and special exemptions for religions, though.

Always sets a great tone for the prog when Dredd's on top form, and it's even better when everything else is too.  Fabulous stuff.
On Twitter @devilsfootsteps

Frank

Quote from: a chosen rider on 07 November, 2012, 11:01:50 PM
ABC Warriors - Wow, the [spoiler]blood[/spoiler] here comes across as unexpectedly and impressively nasty.  And that final splash page is great.  Overall this series has been very much up and down, but this is a really strong instalment without the usual squinting past flaws to see it that way.  Thumbs up!

This week's Warriors pisses over everything else from some height. Crap gag about Hammerstein breaking The Resolute Desk (i) aside, this episode really allows Langley's art to do what it does best; big, bold images which are configured for maximum shock value. When you want a splash page of a robot blowing the brains out of the President of the United States, Clint's breezy disregard for subtelty and understatement are positive advantages. If someone in editorial deliberately scheduled the killing of a charismatic, deceptively sympathetic Commander-in-Chief with blood on his hands to run this week in particular, they deserve a medal.

The knowing humour of that final page had me in fits of giggles; both writer and artist are clearly having a lot of fun here, and if the ability to pull off this kind of humour without undermining the drama is a rare talent in a writer, it's even more rare for the artist not to step on the gag with artwork that either buries the gag or plays it in far too broad a manner. Mills's method of choosing his artists carefully, tailoring his script to suit their talents, and making sure they're sympathetic to the nature of the story he's telling, has paid off brilliantly here.

(i) is there some significance to a character whose people have been figured as slaves or African-Americans destroying something hewn from the timbers of a British anti-slavery frigate?