Main Menu

Current TV Boxset Addiction

Started by radiator, 20 November, 2012, 02:23:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

edgeworthy

The Outpost
Quote"The Outpost follows Talon, the lone survivor of a race called Blackbloods. Years after her entire village was destroyed by a gang of brutal mercenaries, Talon travels to a lawless fortress on the edge of the civilized world, as she tracks the killers of her family. On her journey to this outpost, Talon discovers she possesses an extraordinary and mysterious supernatural power that she must learn to control in order to save herself and defend the world against a fanatical religious dictator."
Yes, its very, very silly, but its fun.
And so much better than The Rings of Power

PsychoGoatee

Quote from: Hawkmumbler on 14 May, 2024, 05:34:23 PMSPACE BATTLESHIP YAMATO: STAR BLAZERS 2199

A reboot of sorts to the original Yamato movie series with elements of the assorted sequels, spin-off and reimagining that came out in the intervening 40 years sprinkled in for good measure, but very much its own beast with its own story to tell.
Like my recent run of Gundam marathons, I had intended to pace myself at two episodes a day as a 2nd daily workout tonic. Ended up binging the whole twenty-five episode run in three days.
If you've found yourself with a space opera sized whole in your heart of late and need something to plug the gap, I'm not sure I can recommend it highly enough.

Very cool! I'm 8 episodes in, been watching a couple here and there lately. And always happy to read your Gundam reviews! Lotta anime to check out for sure.

Hawkmumbler

Superb! Starblazers 2199 was really quite excellent, I'm very much excited to dive into the sequels 2201 and 2205, though theres a bit of me that feels the first season is so well contained an expansion of the narrative would feel superlative.

Glad you liked my outliers opinions on SEED also, it's a great if highly compromised show. Likewise I'm excited to dive into its own sequel, Destiny, later in the year.
That being said, reading the absolute shambles that was the behind the scenes production of that show I'm expecting a train wreck of the most entertaining degree.

Hawkmumbler

Sticking with Cosmic Era shenanigans: Mobile Suit Gundam SEED C.E. 73: Stargazer at just three 15-20 minute episodes feels agonisingly at least as half as long as the story demanded and indeed deserved.
On a surface level it serves as a supplementary piece to SEED Destiny, occurring concurrently with the events of the latter two thirds of said show (I assume, theres some ominous cameos in this which kind of relegate it to such a niche) yet Stargazer succeeds entirely in defining itself as a story within that broader narrative. Genuinely has some of the coolest sci-fi tech in recent fiction, the titular mobile suit is an all timer ('yo, what if we took this semi-autonomous bipedal killing machine and used it for space exploration rather than, you know, killing people') and behind a cavalcade of bloodshed and misery (as hopeful as its ultimate message is, this is still Gundam, the bodies hit the floor hard) the final few minutes has some genuinely moving and romantic space operatics.
Had this been feature length, could have been an all timer for the genre not just this little pocket of a specific franchise, as it is C.E.75: Stargazer is just really damn great and another reason why I feel bad for 20 years of dogma not letting me enjoy SEED for what it is.