Main Menu

The Incal by Moebius on Amazon

Started by Skullmo, 02 December, 2012, 07:05:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

Davek

Whats better - Incal or Arzach? (I'm a fan of Prophet and was told Arzach is similar)

Skullmo

I'm a big fan of Incal. If you liked 5th Element you will enjoy it (because they ripped it off)

Andy Smart

Just received my copy today and wanted to say a few words about the edition. First off, this is a brand new UK edition from Self Made Hero. The size is reduced from the French albums and is a similar size to Rebellion's books. It's a rather beautiful, solid hardback with good colour reproduction on shiny paper. It collects all six volumes of the Incal with an extra story at the end.

I'll let you know more once I have a chance to read it.

Skullmo

If it is the same version I got earlier in the year before it went out of print, it also has the original colouring and the nudity.

It annoys me when they re-colour and edit works.

HdE

I've got a copy of this and I utterly hate it.

I'll Ebay it at some point.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

Skullmo

Ancient Otter

Humanoids are re-releasing The Incal as separate, large size, limited edition volumes in 2013, not sure if SelfMadeHero will pick these up.

HdE

Quote from: Skullmo on 14 December, 2012, 08:56:06 PM
Why do you hate it?

Gnng... must... try... to contain... hate... hrrrg!

No, seriously, I bought it after friends had raved to me about it. They'd name dropped a number of other comics I consider to be really - and I mean REALLY - tip-top, unreachable in quality, and told me it was as good as, if not better than those.

And when I read it... my heart sank.

Don't get me wrong - LOVELY artwork by Moebius, and the book really is a beautifully presented product in this edition. But the content is just not for me. I had all sorts of problems with the characters, the story... I just found it all very slight and uninteresting.

I can see why folks love it, though. There's a particular vein of craziness there. But I didn't enjoy it one bit, I'm afraid.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: HdE on 14 December, 2012, 07:05:36 PM
I've got a copy of this and I utterly hate it.

I'll Ebay it at some point.

I'll have it if you don't want it!

Daveycandlish

Quote from: HdE on 14 December, 2012, 10:31:31 PM
Quote from: Skullmo on 14 December, 2012, 08:56:06 PM
Why do you hate it?

Gnng... must... try... to contain... hate... hrrrg!

No, seriously, I bought it after friends had raved to me about it. They'd name dropped a number of other comics I consider to be really - and I mean REALLY - tip-top, unreachable in quality, and told me it was as good as, if not better than those.

And when I read it... my heart sank.

Don't get me wrong - LOVELY artwork by Moebius, and the book really is a beautifully presented product in this edition. But the content is just not for me. I had all sorts of problems with the characters, the story... I just found it all very slight and uninteresting.

I can see why folks love it, though. There's a particular vein of craziness there. But I didn't enjoy it one bit, I'm afraid.

Sold mine on ebay for the exact same reason.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Spaceghost

I got the Self Made Hero collection last xmas and it's a lovely book.

I can sympathise with people who don't like it. There are some fantastic ideas and a few memorable scenes but the story makes not one ounce of sense and it doesn't even try to progress along any sort of logical lines.

The art is, of course, brilliant though.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

HdE

No arguments over the quality of Moebius' fantastic work from me! It was the big draw of the book, and what ultimately persuaded me to part with hard earned money for it.

Speaking of which - sorry I missed your post, CrazyFox! I'll be looking to get a few pennies for it, mind you, plus postage (which I fear will be a killer, considering it's a big heavy hardback).

Sling me a PM if this seems acceptable to you.

maryanddavid

I got this last Christmas and I really did enjoy the artwork and the whole quest side of of it. Translations did jar a little as some the the speech felt wooden. The mix of the slapstick and serious taked a little getting used to, but that seem to be a European comic thing, but its a worthy read.

Skullmo

European translations really do suffer. They need someone like the Asterix translators who are adept in understanding the meaning and who are really good writers themselves.

This is now on amazon for £19 btw with post!