Main Menu

Guess who's the artist

Started by Fatboydale, 08 December, 2012, 03:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Pretty much everything about that says Zenith Bk1/2 era Yeowell...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Frank

Quote from: Supermarine Troutfire on 08 December, 2012, 04:01:38 PM
Steve Yeowell.

Yep; for the jawline, flat top, eyes and shadows around the face. Some of the reflective surfaces look Alan Davis-y, as does the kneepad design and boot, but the design of the wee telly they're watching is very different to the kind of solid tech Davis was putting into DR & Quinch - which is around the time I'm presuming this is from. Yeowell's answers to those droid questionnaire's in the Eighties annuals suggest he would be more inclined to insert Trek references into (fanzine?) artwork than the older Davis too.

James

Cushion and cross hatching on the porthole wall and boot sole day Steve Yeowell

Colin YNWA

TordelBack

I see the Davis vibe in the lighting effects, but those boots scream 'Yeowell'* to me.

*Making it difficult sneak up on anyone.

vzzbux

I am looking at an 80's Higgins.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Neil McClements

Fatboydale

Mike Hadley ....

Would have been a wrong guess
A very Young Steve Yeowell from 1986 , think it was for Harris comics .... his boots was the clear give away , yet again i am astounded ....well done all ... 

Judge Fish

I liked the file name by the way.  :lol:
Bloop.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Fatboydale on 09 December, 2012, 01:43:20 PM
A very Young Steve Yeowell from 1986 , think it was for Harris comics ....

Harrier, I reckon -- I was writing for them c1986 and my first exposure to Steve's work was via their 'Swiftsure' anthology title (I think) from which it was immediately obvious that he was a future pro. My own efforts were bumped to an issue that never saw print of their other anthology, Avalon, by the work of one Mr Nigel Dobbyn who was likewise instantly recognisable as someone with pro-level talent...

Some of the stuff Harrier didn't publish was more interesting than most of the stuff it did -- not belong before they ceased publishing, they ran a house advert for a mini-series called Abraxas written by one G. Morrison, for example. They were also the original publishers of Redfox, notable primarily because its creators set up Valkyrie Press to take over publishing the title, which also published the first complete run of Luther Arkwright.

Cheers!

Jim

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 December, 2012, 01:55:03 PM
they ran a house advert for a mini-series called Abraxas written by one G. Morrison, for example.

Actually, 1997 interview with Abraxas artist Tony O'Donnell here and a couple of bits of art here.

Cheers!

Jim

Frank

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 09 December, 2012, 02:03:16 PM
1997 interview with Abraxas artist Tony O'Donnell here and a couple of bits of art here.

" I think my parents were a bit mystified by my career choice but they did support me. I do remember that they seemed really pleased when I was working as a part time lecturer of illustration at Clackmannan College. This was, after all, a proper job which they could explain more easily to friends and neighbours"

Thanks for the link, Jim. I was at Clacks College when O'Donnell was interviewed for that position, and he was good enough to show me his portfolio and tell me a bit about working in comics while he waited to see the head of department. Years later, when I saw the names Grant Morrison and Tony Daniel alongside each other on a Batman comic, I did wonder if they'd renewed their collaboration ... and deracinated O'Donnell's name to reinvent him as a superhero artist in the US.

Alski

"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/