Main Menu

Dredd:Blu Ray review

Started by chuffsteruk, 18 December, 2012, 09:42:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Judge Jack on 22 March, 2013, 05:16:49 PM
Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 22 March, 2013, 04:20:49 PM
Mine has arrived and it's great, apart from that 15 rated bit  >:(

Was it cut for its release in OZ, or do they just have a more liberal rating system over there?
Probably because it wasn't quite enough for a R18+, reserved for films that have strong sexual content (some maybe unsimulated, eg Tinto Brasses Caligula) but IMHO was lucky to get an MA15+. regulations are tighter there but not census, if that makes sense. Like if say, animal cruelty is not alloud, it's not like here where its to what degree but wether it's present at all. Speeking from a BBFC point of view i'd say Dredd is a very mild 18 anyway.

Radbacker

I'm pretty sure its not cut here in Oz, we have two different M15 ratings.  M15 (reccoemnded for people 15 or over) is pretty much equive to your 15 or the US PG15 and our harder MA15 (restricted to 15 over unless acompanied by an adult) is like your 18+ and the US R rating (which is 15+ i believ).  Our next harder rating is R18+ which is the US equivilent of NC17, its got to be a pretty gory or secual movie to cop that rating it seems.
Well i rushed out the other night to get my copy and couldn't find one  :(
Got my copy Thursday night blasted home to play it then realised my Blu Ray Player has already been moved to my new house, so now i've got my nice Blu of Dredd and no way to watch it untill i finish shifting Grrrrr :(

CU Radnackler

dweezil2

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 22 March, 2013, 04:20:49 PM
Mine has arrived and it's great, apart from that 15 rated bit  >:(

OK, like Judge Burdis, my Australian copy has arrived and I've been giving it a spin for a week or so, so can make some comparisons to the UK edition.

My over all impression is that it is far superior to the UK EIV edition. I'm not entirely sold on the special edition packaging. The use of the graffiti art on the slip-case is most welcome but that bloody rating sticker is not removable-a particular pet hate of mine.
On to the Blu-Ray case itself. The cover art is the same as the UK edition, but has a bleached out look-giving the slight appearance that the ink was running dry on the photocopier in the printing process (the standard Australian 3D blu-Ray and 2D version have a more conventional cover art-minus the UK's J J Abrams inspired lens flare of course) and still has that ugly ratings sticker plastered all over it, again not removable!
There's also a rather nice glossy and thick carded reprint of the Ma Ma prequel comic, that was seen on the tinternet and The Megazine last year, housed within.

On to the disc itself.

There are three trailers-some cheap looking Jurassic Park III inspired fluff, Sinister and Zero Dark Thirty before we get to the sexy menu.
"Judgement Time" Karl "The Urbinator" Urban announces, while a very pretty Peach Trees block is shown in the background, behind Dredd's imposing visage, while a snippet from the superb Paul Leonard-Morgan score plays throughout.
One of the most suprising things about the disc is that it offers both the 5.1 and 7.1 sound mix of the movie. Interesting,as a certain lawbringer may utter.
Not having a 7.1 sound system I'm limited to 5.1 mix (more on this later).
Also on the menu you can choose English subtitles if required and access the extra features.
These aren't dramatically different to the UK disc, but the two inclusions missing from the UK disc make this version a must have for fans of the comic and the movie.
First is "Mega-City Masters: 35 years of Judge Dredd" this is a fascinating insight into what makes the character and comic so enduring and features a plethora of interviews with the likes of Brian Bolland, Carlos Ezquerra, John Wagner, Alex Garland and Tharg himself!
There's also the sight of an almost humble Mark Millar admitting that he cocked up his run on the character!

The second is "Day Of Chaos: The visual effects of Dredd 3D." This is a far more comprehensive look at the making of the movie and has some informative insights by the FX crew on the subtle changes that were made in post, to give the film its unique look and enhance certain background shots.

On to the film.

Once you've pressed play film, you get the choice of the 3D version or 2D version of the film-for the purposes of this review I chose the 3D version though I can't imagine the PQ quality being very different except it only being in 2D of course!
First up we have the ICON company logo (distributors of Dredd in Australia) followed by the rather funky 3D DTS-HD Master Audio logo and sequence to nearly poke your eye out!
Next, the nearly as funky 3D Lionsgate logo (missing from the UK disc) then on to the movie itself.

From watching the film a couple of times, reading posts from Joe Soap and comparing to the UK disc I can conclude that the print used mirrors the US version, as much as I can tell, with slightly more information either side of the image, wich actually improves the viewing experience considerably in my opinion-the film just appears better framed.
I'd also argue that there is slightly less grain than the UK disc (maybe due to the image not being magnified, as was suggested of the EIV UK disc) and the colour seems to be slightly better balanced, giving the film greater aethetic beauty-again, in my opinion.

The 5.1 mix of the soundtrack is also an arguable improvement. The front speaker sound for the dialogue seems clearer (at least to these Heavy Metal damaged ears) and there also seem more clarity from the surround tracks-I'm sure rear speaker audio was slightly boosted and background effects and dialogue was more audible, so much so, I heard things I struggled to hear on the UK disc.

The disc is compatible with regions A, B and C according to the packaging-though be aware that I played the disc on an unhacked UK region B device.

Overall I'd say that the Australian disc is most desirable, especially as the US disc is region locked, and with the improvement on sound and picture quality it's worth a punt even if you already own the UK disc.

Oh, and it is completely uncut and the same as the UK version, as seen in the cinema and on UK disc and more importantly is still a bloody brilliant film!  :D
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

JOE SOAP

The French 2D edition is still best. Proper 2:40 ratio and less saturated colours.

dweezil2

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 29 March, 2013, 06:17:17 PM

The French 2D edition is still best. Proper 2:40 ratio and less saturated colours.

Ah! Mines still sealed in that sexy MetalPak and I'm too scared to open it!

What's different between the Australian and French picture framing Joe?
Any comparison sites you can link me too?   ;)

Spikes

Quote from: dweezil2 on 29 March, 2013, 06:06:46 PM
From watching the film a couple of times, reading posts from Joe Soap and comparing to the UK disc I can conclude that the print used mirrors the US version, as much as I can tell, with slightly more information either side of the image, wich actually improves the viewing experience considerably in my opinion-the film just appears better framed.
I'd also argue that there is slightly less grain than the UK disc (maybe due to the image not being magnified, as was suggested of the EIV UK disc) and the colour seems to be slightly better balanced, giving the film greater aethetic beauty-again, in my opinion.

Proper 2:40 ratio and less saturated colours.

Isnt the UK Blu-ray/DVD in 2:40:1? Its what's stated on the reverse cover. Have they altered it to 2:35:1, or some such?

dweezil2

Quote from: Judge Jack on 29 March, 2013, 06:32:05 PM
Quote from: dweezil2 on 29 March, 2013, 06:06:46 PM

Proper 2:40 ratio and less saturated colours.

Isnt the UK Blu-ray/DVD in 2:40:1? Its what's stated on the reverse cover. Have they altered it to 2:35:1, or some such?

Both the UK and Australien discs say 2:40:1 but there's definitely more information on the Aussie disc.

I don't have the French Blu to hand.

I'm a dullard when it comes to the minutia of aspect ratios. Joe, anyone want to give me a crash course?  ;)

JOE SOAP

OZ VERSION:

FRENCH VERSION:

You can clearly see the differences in ratio between the two versions: there is more of a gap between Dredd's helmet and the top of frame, and more screen information on both sides of the frame. This is what the 2:40 image should look like and only 2D only discs will have this version.

There is also a sharper, more focussed image onn the French 2D only disc because it's not cropped or realigned to create one eye of the 3D image as on the 3D/2D combo disc.

Also on the French 2D disc colours are more natural, unsaturated and brightness levels are normal meaning normal skintones and detail is not lost or burnt-out.

In conclusion: the US, UK* & OZ 3D/2D combo discs will have lesser quality if viewing the film in 2D and not in 3D which is what the disc's image is primarily designed and optimised for. Buy either the 2D only OZ, German or French discs or the French Metal-Pack which has both versions on separate discs.

The UK version has the most saturated colour than all other versions, which causes loss of detail.

dweezil2

Cheers Joe!

Most illuminating!  :thumbsup:

Spikes

Aye, good stuff. Even aside from having more picture information available, the French BR does look a lot nicer, doesnt it.

Quite a few of these French steelbook editions are up on E-Bay as we speak. Prices, roughly, range from £25.00 to £35ish. Though a few a quite a bit higher. Was this the price people have been paying?

dweezil2

Quote from: Judge Jack on 30 March, 2013, 12:45:18 PM
Aye, good stuff. Even aside from having more picture information available, the French BR does look a lot nicer, doesnt it.

Quite a few of these French steelbook editions are up on E-Bay as we speak. Prices, roughly, range from £25.00 to £35ish. Though a few a quite a bit higher. Was this the price people have been paying?

I bought mine from Amozon France and it seems to have gone down in price since I ordered it.

Not sure what the pounds to euros conversion is:

http://www.amazon.fr/Dredd-Blu-ray-3D-Karl-Urban/dp/B00A2HCHF2/ref=sr_1_1?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1364651110&sr=1-1

radiator

Think I paid about thirty quid.

Watched my French 2D copy the other day - it looks lovely. Tbh I prefer the slightly desaturated feel.

Spikes

Thanks for that link dweezil2 - if my little lappy gadget is correct, then thats about £22.00 for the French edition. I guess its free delivery to the UK using Amazon.fr?  Looking at the relevent pages now (using google translate).

If other peeps on here have been paying £30, then around the £25/30 mark sounds about right for the package.

SuperSurfer

I only just bought the Dredd DVD. I couldn't find it in any shop since it was released (I very rarely buy stuff online as I never know where I will be). 

Last week HMV in Oxford Street had it in stock – upstairs in the chart section at number 11. Not cheap at £12.99 especially as I bought two – one for myself and one as a present (and also to help the cause).

I don't have a Blu-ray player so I got the regular 2D version.

Got to say I was disappointed that there is nothing in the box other than the disc. Is that normal? (I don't remember the last time I bought a DVD.)

As for the picture quality – terrible. Without any doubt the worst I have ever seen on my computer's 23' Apple Cinema Display screen. DVDs usually look superb on it.

What I don't get is why does the online QuickTime trailer look so pin sharp in comparison to the DVD?

Almost feel embarrassed to give such a poor quality DVD as a present. In fact I am considering taking the unopened one back and asking for a refund (which is blasphemy to some no doubt).

Spikes

The picture quality ranges from brilliant and pin-sharp, to very  fuzzy and soft.

Which was the stylistic choice they made for the film, i guess.

I caught the film twice in the cinema. But in 3D only, so it wasnt that noticeable. But it was a shock, initially, to see it at home in 2D.