Main Menu

JUDGE DREDD: IDW #2

Started by sheldipez, 19 December, 2012, 09:27:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dweezil2

Better than #1 and I particularly liked the back up Anderson strip with some lovely Brendan McCarthy art, so at least the title's on an upward trajectory.
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

COMMANDO FORCES

THE GOOD PARTS by Duane Swiercynski and Brendan McCarthy.

This is the Anderson back-up strip and I quite enjoyed this one. I don't know why but it reminds me of stories that I used to read in the annuals and not because they were sub standard. I think it's due, weirdly, to the psychedelic colours on each page.
As for the story, it was a perfect 6 pager that wouldn't have looked out of place in the Meg and it had a decent pay off!

A slight improvement on last months issue and again it's the back-up strip that saves the day. It seems to me that Duane can do a six pager to a decent standard but isn't quite there on the longer strips yet but this Anderson tales has given me hope for the future!

Proudhuff

yeah an improvement... but it could hardly have got worse.

The robot thing is very old hat: Call me kenneth, Narcos etc, the judge gone bad has really been done to death too and a lot better, there are a number of panels that really should have been redrawn and how the feck does 'Joe' gggrrrr work out the perp is justice dept trained? A cynic would argue that with the multi covers and weak interoirs that this is just a money generating thang, hell you want this to work? Put Bolt1 in charge!
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

oh and picked this up in FP edinbra  :D
DDT did a job on me

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Proudhuff on 01 January, 2013, 04:55:50 PM
The robot thing is very old hat: Call me kenneth, Narcos etc, the judge gone bad has really been done to death

What part of this comic not being aimed at existing 2000AD/Dredd fans are you not getting?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 01 January, 2013, 06:00:24 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 01 January, 2013, 04:55:50 PM
The robot thing is very old hat: Call me kenneth, Narcos etc, the judge gone bad has really been done to death

What part of this comic not being aimed at existing 2000AD/Dredd fans are you not getting?

Cheers

Jim

none. but given its been done better before, this was an opportunity for a new and exciting take on the whole Dreddverse or at least life in the big meg, as it is its badly retold versions of old stories so far.
DDT did a job on me

Spikes

For those with orders with DH and are waiting for this to land, ive just had a e-mail from them saying they was posted yesterday.

Daveycandlish

Picked it up in Forbidden Planet today and it's an improvement on #1 - mainly because Paul Gulacy's work isn't in it. My only gripe in the main story is the use of Joe rather than Dredd, but other than that it's pretty good.

Worth a punt even if you hated the first issue as I think it's a vast improvement
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

CrazyFoxMachine

Managed to set up a standing order with the local comic shop - and got me the second issue with Greg Staples cover as well. Still haven't read the first yet - but the art throughout #2 looks strong and Brendan McCarthy's stuff looks wonderful.

dweezil2

Quote from: Judge Jack on 03 January, 2013, 03:21:50 PM
For those with orders with DH and are waiting for this to land, ive just had a e-mail from them saying they was posted yesterday.

Cheers for that, was wondering where the order had got to.

:thumbsup:
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

BPP

The script for Brendans strip made NO sense. [spoiler]if PSI can randomly detect murderers they pass from guilty thoughts the what use is wiping your memory for the escape only to then tell yourself what you did. The next PSI Judge you walk past.....[/spoiler]

Still, least the art was nice. Anyone know if Len O'Grady was (uncredited) assist on the colours? They didnt click for me as well as the Spiderman / Dredd / Zilk colouring.

The main story still does nothing for me, the art choice is wrong, the storytelling clunky. Did like the Anderson mind-reading splash page tho.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

SmallBlueThing

MUCH BETTER. The backup McCarthy strip aside- which I thought was awful- the main Dredd story was actually a pleasurable read. The overuse of "Joe" still grates, and indicates that the writer has never really read the proper strips, but on the whole it "feels" quite like MC1 to me. There's still lots of niggles- the art is occasionally off, and I don't like the shoulder eagles (but then, the artists who can draw a convincing shoulder eagle number about five) or that the nose piece on the visor sits so high up. The smashed visor here drew attention to this and many of the close ups of Dredd later suffered from the same. It's like the artist assumes he sees out of the space BELOW the nose piece- and that's just there for effect. I had the same issues with Jock's art at the start, if I remember right, though not to the same degree.

I had decided to quite brutally give this only two issues before deciding whether to carry on with the floppies or wait for the trade. I think I'll stretch this to three- it's borderline at the moment. Incidentally, I ordered cover A and got cover B (the Greg Staples one). I don't mind, it's much better.

SBT

Spikes

And despite getting an email from DH saying these were posted Wednesday, it still hasnt arrived. These IDW Dredd's do seem to be their Achilles Heel, so when it does arrive (and hopefully in the right cover - im after the Greg Staples variant as well) i think the next one will be ordered from E-bay.

sheldipez

Quote from: Judge Jack on 05 January, 2013, 04:07:15 PM
And despite getting an email from DH saying these were posted Wednesday, it still hasnt arrived. These IDW Dredd's do seem to be their Achilles Heel, so when it does arrive (and hopefully in the right cover - im after the Greg Staples variant as well) i think the next one will be ordered from E-bay.

My #2 arrived today [from DH] along with the rest of this week's releases.

Spikes

Nice that yours has landed sheldipez, but nowt here and im getting tired of waiting TBH.
Especially when other shops, facing the same delays/strikes/xmas post got theirs a good while ago.