Main Menu

PROG 1813 UNDER THE HAMMER

Started by JUDGE BURNS, 29 December, 2012, 11:26:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

That was a very strong start to the year.  Particularly loved seeing Hammerstein's Da stomping around the 'Briggan - how many of those bloody ghost estates I worked on over the years!

If I had one request to make of Tharg it would be to slot stories like this week's (excellent) Dredd into some sort of flashback context - basically just note that it's set in 2133 or something.  I know it goes against the grain, but I'm just finishing my re-read of 2012's Progs*, and trying to square this story with Dredd's 'waving the daystick/40 year men weeping openly' internal monologues in 'The Cold Deck' is hurting my head.

*Which project I would strongly recommend to anyone.  The best year for non-stop thrillpower since the '80s, without question.  Plus it helps keep stuff like Strontium Dog freshly simmering.

The Prodigal

Quote from: TotalHack on 04 January, 2013, 10:22:48 PM
That was a very strong start to the year.  Particularly loved seeing Hammerstein's Da stomping around the 'Briggan - how many of those bloody ghost estates I worked on over the years!

If I had one request to make of Tharg it would be to slot stories like this week's (excellent) Dredd into some sort of flashback context - basically just note that it's set in 2133 or something.  I know it goes against the grain, but I'm just finishing my re-read of 2012's Progs*, and trying to square this story with Dredd's 'waving the daystick/40 year men weeping openly' internal monologues in 'The Cold Deck' is hurting my head.

*Which project I would strongly recommend to anyone.  The best year for non-stop thrillpower since the '80s, without question.  Plus it helps keep stuff like Strontium Dog freshly simmering.

As someone who jumped on only a year ago I have been planning to do this as a celebration of when comics became enjoyable for me again. Progs are now out and in a pile ready to go.

NapalmKev

Cover: looked ok until a clumsy mate sat on my Prog!

Good Prog all round; but Ampney Crucis stands the tallest at the mo. Great art and characters.

Not a massive fan of 'Red Seas'. I don't hate it, but it just doesn't do much for me at all. Will persevere.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Alien Goodness

Still waiting for the digital edition to come out  :(

TordelBack

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 03 January, 2013, 02:31:09 PM...the fact we have a story ignoring Chaos Day YET AGAIN really grates. (Benefit of the doubt, though - the Chaos Day/Trifecta business must have been a scheduling nightmare and maybe this was meant to run much earlier.)

This one is annoyingly out of place certainly, but have there been many others?  In the Prog at least, the only other one that really stood out for me during my 2012 re-read was the second Maitland tale with the unfortunate Boob Art, and not only it did reference DoC in its Weimar cabaret allusions, but I can forgive anything that served as the covert lead-in to Trifecta.  If anything I think the fallout from DoC has been pretty relentless.

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 03 January, 2013, 02:31:09 PM
2:Being shellshocked (which I have been told repeatedly by caption boxes and dialogue balloons, but have yet to see any actual evidence of).

Was it not more 'being exposed to the mind-frying reality of Interdimensional Elder Gods feasting on the souls of the wounded' that had Ampney out of sorts, rather than yer  actual PTSD/concussive shock syndrome itself?  In which case, it has been addressed, repeatedly.

DrJomster

Just taken a look at an iphone version of the cover downloaded from the apple newsstand. It's immediately clear to the eye what's going on unlike (for me at least with my dodgy old eyes) the printed version. Think it's cos it's brighter on screen than the print version ended up coming out. Thought I'd mention it to any punters out there considering going digital.

Looks great in fact!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Mardroid

Yes! Clickwheel has been updated!

'Twould be nice if it were accessible for mobile devices (technically it is, except you can't really see very much or access the comics). Would save me downloading to the laptop and porting to the tablet but... well, it's kind of fun doing that stuff, so never mind.

Goaty

Finally got prog today, bloody ClickWheel!

As something interesting,the opening of the Judge Dredd 1st page is very simliar to the opening of Dredd film with Dredd getting ready...?

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Goaty on 07 January, 2013, 04:48:15 PM

As something interesting,the opening of the Judge Dredd 1st page is very simliar to the opening of Dredd film with Dredd getting ready...?

Apart from the fact that [spoiler]it's not Dredd[/spoiler], you mean?

Goaty

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 07 January, 2013, 05:00:53 PM
Quote from: Goaty on 07 January, 2013, 04:48:15 PM

Apart from the fact that [spoiler]it's not Dredd[/spoiler], you mean?

Yep! I was should said that [spoiler]different Judge[/spoiler] but simliar set up...

Proudhuff

or the start of that Arnie film, (without the old man refs)
DDT did a job on me

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Proudhuff on 31 December, 2012, 02:12:20 PM
...and Stront, a real tale out of time, there's nothing wrong with it just no threat, we all know how it ends...

We do?! You realise these are no longer the flashback tales, m'dear chap?
@jamesfeistdraws

Link Prime

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 07 January, 2013, 06:08:13 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 31 December, 2012, 02:12:20 PM
...and Stront, a real tale out of time, there's nothing wrong with it just no threat, we all know how it ends...

We do?! You realise these are no longer the flashback tales, m'dear chap?

It'll probably end in retinal detachment for me, considering i've done nothing but roll my eyes in derision at this series.

Alien Goodness

Yay! Digital version now available  :D

The Adventurer

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK