Main Menu

Recommend Me Some Comics (Please)

Started by radiator, 11 February, 2013, 08:53:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

radiator

So I'm off on a holiday (of sorts) a week today, planning to load up the ipad with lots of comics to read while I'm away (12 hour flight!). Looking for some recommendations, preferably stuff that is available on Comixology.

Some stuff I like:

2000ad
Orc Stain
Prophet
Preacher
Transmetropolitan
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Usagi Yojimbo
100 Bullets
Most Alan Moore
Some Grant Morrison
Mudman
Frank Miller before he went insane
Calvin and Hobbes
Akira
Hellboy

Some stuff I don't like:

The Walking Dead
Brian K Vaughn
Continuity-heavy, mainstream superhero stuff
Most Manga
Recent Alan Moore
The Losers

Link Prime

Based on your lists, I'd try....

Lucifer
The Unwritten
Locke & Key
Severed
Bedlam

Frank

Hardly original and I'm sure you've read them before, but you can never go wrong with Tintin. His globe trotting would fit in well with your own travels and I'd imagine those books would look beautiful on Jobs's etch-a-sketch.

judda fett

If you haven't read them I'd suggest the three 'Kev' books by Garth Ennis, Glen Fabry and Carlos Ezquerra. A few years old still a fun read. He started out as a bit character in The Authority. A fuck up out of his depth ex SAS man. Try 'the Magnificent Kev' and have a good holiday mate.

Professor Bear

Unfortunately, the dollar is at its strongest for nearly 300 years and so this means paying just over three English pounds - instead of something like the thirty pence you would expect - after the exchange rate kicks in for a Nigel Kneale meets Neal Stevenson indy OGN called Babble currently available on Comxology. http://www.comixology.com/Babble/comics-series/9832
I blame Obamacare for this shambles - WAKE UP AMERICA.

Also get your ass over to Comicsy and support FutureQuake by buying their digital-download family special for 50p, featuring work from droids like Arthur Wyatt and Michael Carrol: http://www.comicsy.co.uk/bolt01/store/products/fqp-family-special-01/ Your support and that 50 pence will keep budding 2000ad droids in cheap sump oil for three days, though more likely Bolt will spend it on cider - it's only 50p.

radiator

As far as I can tell, Tin Tin is not available on Comixology.

I've already read the Kev books.

Image seems to be where it's at these days, anyone know any other Image series worth following? I saw one called Revival the other day (about the aftermath of a Zombie uprising) that looked quite interesting, anyone read it?

Colin YNWA

The two Image comics I'd kinda recommend based on your pull list (what I've read of it) and what I've read are The Massive and Fatale. Not sure but both are absolutely fantastic and relatively fresh into their runs and so easy to get on-board with?

radiator

Dandontdare

no idea if they're available on that mechanical devil's engine, but Top 10 is one of my favourite Alan Moore - lighthearted stuff

also, Grant Morrison's Doom Patrol and Animal Man are excellent.

ming

Link Prime

Spaceghost

I don't know if it's on Comixology but I'm really enjoying 20th Century Boys by Naoki Urasawa.

It's 'manga' only in the sense that it's Japanese, without the usual trappings. A brilliant, sprawling epic.

Also, Requiem Vampire Hunter by Pat Mills is great. Back to Nemesis levels of inventive insanity with lovely painted art by Olivier Ledroit.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

radiator

No offense, but I get more than enough Pat Mills through the prog (let's just say I'm not a huge fan).

Will check out Bulletproof Coffin and 20th Century Boys.

I've read some Top 10 which I thought was OK and some Doom Patrol which I didn't really warm to.

Colin YNWA

Bloody hell yeah now its been said Bulletproof Coffin is an obvious one!