Main Menu

The death of Judge Dredd by John Wagner

Started by Trout, 18 February, 2013, 10:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Joe's a Fargo clone.  There's only one way any of 'em go: suicide by cop

More precisely, in the end they all degenerate in some way, and inevitably force Joe to put a bullet in them (Rico, Kraken, Nimrod).  Or in this case, do it himself (as Fargo tried to do, the horny rascal).

Ya gotta admire His Piscine Majesty though.  "Catchy thread title, can open, worms everywhere, bye bye I'm off to Canada!"

mygrimmbrother

Colin YNWA

There's so many potential deaths for poor old Joe and each of them has merit in my mind for different reasons.

There's a bit of me that wants him popped off my a corrupt colleague as trouble in the Department has been such a fundamental part of Dredd stories for the longest time. It'd also set the platform for some sweeping changes to aid whatever new character comes in to 'replace' him.

Or maybe he's killed in the Cursed Earth after taking another Long Walk. Kinda a statement about the City never getting him, but it being really the be all and end all of his life.

Or have him die a 'mundane' death either in the course of a regular patrol, or even in some kinda traffic accident or the like.

It defo shouldn't happen in some kinda epic, for some reason just doesn't feel right to me. For him to have some kinda heroic death also strikes me as wrong. I'm be happy for it to be a one off and it must come as a complete surprise (which I guess limits my second one!).

Steve Green

credo

To me Dredd has always been more of a symbol for the City and the system, rather than a real character. He says it himself - He Is The Law. So, any death has to be as a consequence of the death of the system, or the loss of the city to the cursed earth (a triumph of Chaos over Order that Pat Mills would not doubt be chuffed with). Given a suitable metaphorical ending to the system or the city, he could even just leave with the long walk ...

hippynumber1

Now, The Long Walk works so well for me; Dredd 'dies' as the system he represents does. He walks off into the desert never to be seen again...  Essentially, the end of 'Unforgiven' with Dredd. The world has no room for men like him...

Keef Monkey

I was at this talk too! It was great, and I particularly liked his jokier answer before he got down to the meat of it.

It went something like "Well, in the 22nd Century 70 is the new 40, so by the time Dredd's age becomes a real issue I'll not be around to worry about it."

A good day, was great to meet the legend himself!

Trout

Quote from: TordelBack on 18 February, 2013, 12:57:34 PM
Ya gotta admire His Piscine Majesty though.  "Catchy thread title, can open, worms everywhere, bye bye I'm off to Canada!"

Mwa haaaaa haaaaaaaaaaaa!

Proudhuff

Quote from: Keef Monkey on 18 February, 2013, 02:10:01 PM
I was at this talk too! It was great, and I particularly liked his jokier answer before he got down to the meat of it.

It went something like "Well, in the 22nd Century 70 is the new 40, so by the time Dredd's age becomes a real issue I'll not be around to worry about it."

A good day, was great to meet the legend himself!

doh! you should have joined us after chatted with John and Colin, had a couple o pints and that charming man GRennie turned up too... as far as I remember   :-[
DDT did a job on me

Keef Monkey

Really, I didn't spot you guys. Had to rush off afterwards unfortunately, but did stay long enough to get a Case Files signed and grab a photo which was cool.

Although, I did only have Case Files 1 on me but really wanted to get Colin's autograph so asked him if he would sign it anyway. He seemed happy to do it, but as I walked away it did strike me that might be just about the most annoying thing you could ask an artist to do. Hopefully no offence was caused, I just couldn't pass up getting to sign something!

Sounds like you guys had a good one :)

JayzusB.Christ

All I can say is, I can't WAIT for this sequel Trouty has promised us is going to happen.  In fact, I would probably be heartbroken for life if it turned out not to be true, but of course the Trout wouldn't make up stuff like that.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Link Prime

I have given this some thought before, and I genuinely thought that Wagner would already have written this script to be used 'as and when' as Colin put it.

Its the only way to end this incarnation of Dredd.

Spikes

Dredd should be killed by being crushed under a falling retcon machine, which then brings him back to life..

Dark Jimbo

Dredd should eventually die (however long the strip goes on for) and when it happens, Wagner and only should write it.
@jamesfeistdraws

Molch-R

Quote from: Proudhuff on 18 February, 2013, 12:07:16 PM
but not the non-response from Rebellion/DNA to Mr Wagner's enquiries on their behalf

Beg pardon?