Main Menu

The death of Judge Dredd by John Wagner

Started by Trout, 18 February, 2013, 10:52:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout

Well, I waited a couple of days to see if the news of this had circulated online, but it seems nobody's repeating it yet. So, given that it can't be a secret when it was said to a crowd of 150 people at an event which was open to the public, here we go.

John Wagner wants to write the death of Judge Dredd. He said so on Saturday at his Glasgow Film Festival talk, which also featured Colin MacNeil and was hosted by John McShane. John (Wagner) said he had asked 2000AD editorial if he could write Dredd's death scene and was told no. I got the impression the reply was polite horror.

However, Alex Garland has provided another suggestion. He told John he should write the death of Dredd then leave it with his will. That strikes me as an elegant solution, although one that I hope we do not see for many, many years.

Finally, some notes for the internet rumourmongers:

This does not mean John Wagner wants to kill off Dredd. It means he wants to write a particular story which, knowing John, won't be as simple as it looks.

Rebellion are demonstrably not planning to kill off Dredd.

There was never any suggestion that any comic was under threat in any way.

There is no suggestion of any antagonism between any of the parties involved in these conversations.

This does not mean you are getting a sequel.  ;)

- Trout

ming

This I like.  Seems level-headed and a good solution to a rather tricky problem. 

Colin YNWA

Yeah I've always liked the idea that as John Wagner goes so does this Dredd. It'd be great (but as you say lets hope not for a long time) if Mr Wagner could prep a script that as and when is pulled out to be used to mark the death of Dredd.

JOE SOAP

He expressed his desire to kill Joe last November in Tripwire magazine:

http://www.tripwire-magazine.com/?tag=judge-dredd

I mentioned the idea on another Death of Dredd thread that Carlos and John should do the story and lock it away. It could be written in such a fashion that could accomodate other writers being able to write stories leading up to it if the time were ever to come. Set it in a period when Dredd is considerably older.

JOE SOAP

Current estimates of Dredd's age among fans of the comics sit at approximately 73 years old, which begs the question: how can he still be able to move? John knowingly, and with a smile, answers, "The way things are set up [in Dredd's world], with clones, brain transplants, all sorts of things, anything could happen. And you've got to remember that we're talking over a hundred years in the future – seventy is the new forty."

Would John ever kill the character? "Alex Garland suggested I should write the 'Death of Dredd' story and leave it with my will," says John. "But I might write it before though. I might talk to [editorial] about it and see if I can convince them to let me kill him. Whether or not I want to...I don't know. But if he does die, it should be me that writes it. I think I could do it so that it didn't hurt the character. But that would be my worry."

Spaceghost

It's inevitable that Dredd will die one day, such is the nature of the story progressing in real time. I think the strip could survive the death of the big man with a transfer of focus to an ensemble of Dredd's proteges, Beeny, Rico, Giant etc.

When he does go, John should write it.

How depressing for a Monday morning. Still, good news about us definitely getting that sequel though, eh? ;p
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Albion

He mentioned this in the pub before the Dredd screening in London too.
I wonder how Dredd's death would happen. On duty during a routine day? Saving the city from another disaster or villain? Drown in the bath? Slipping on a hottie wrapper and getting hit by a mopad?
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

Richmond Clements

For me, a grand death saving the city wouldn't work.
Dredd's death would have to be utterly meaningless to give it any poignancy.

Proudhuff

and his ringing endorsment of the Minty Film was great to hear too, but not the non-response from Rebellion/DNA to Mr Wagner's enquiries on their behalf
DDT did a job on me

Dunk!

Give Dredd his Alamo?

Makes sense to me.

Worked with Dark Knight Returns and no one thinks Batman is ever coming to an end.

Would love to read it.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

Taryn Tailz

I'm sure it was on this very forum that someone once suggested Dredd should be killed by some young kid who has never fired a gun before, who just happens to get lucky.

I do think that could work, but it would be a very bold move to do something like that.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 18 February, 2013, 12:06:36 PM
Dredd's death would have to be utterly meaningless to give it any poignancy.

I suspect we'd get something a little more than just shot down in the line of duty.

Proudhuff

True, but there are still half a dozen Dredd clones to get thro
DDT did a job on me

JOE SOAP

There's also the bigger picture stuff that's been hinted at from America through to Fargo's last words in Origins and of course Dredd's relationship with his mutie cousins. They hint at an ending, of sorts.

hippynumber1

There has to be an end to the 'Dredd' we know and it must be written by Wagner. This doesn't mean the character won't/can't continue...