Main Menu

Doctor Who - Season... Spring 2013

Started by Colin YNWA, 01 March, 2013, 11:07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg M.

Solid opener, I thought. A bit more measured than Moffat's increasingly hyperactive output, and very much for the better in that respect: he's been very guilty of trying to cram far too much in of late, but I felt his command of pace was much better in this one. For all that folk like to cite Moffat and RTD as being somehow dialectically-opposed in terms of show-running style, I reckon there was a fair dose of Russell in that one - it reminded me quite a bit of 'Rose'. Ms. Coleman is yet to make her mark though - at the moment she's just 'smart and sassy with typical Moffat sitcom dialogue', rather than a unique character, but I'll give it time. (What's the odds that the lady in the shop who gave her the Doctor's number was [spoiler]River Song[/spoiler]?)

Goaty

I wonder if anyone notice the author of the book, would send you over-exciting!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Greg M. on 30 March, 2013, 09:01:16 PM
(What's the odds that the lady in the shop who gave her the Doctor's number was [spoiler]River Song[/spoiler]?)

You gotta think that ain't you. We know [spoiler]she's back for one story[/spoiler] this season, alas.

opaque

Not amazing but a pretty good starter episode although it's actually the 7th episode of course.

I think there needs to be some 2 parters again as everything seems to get introduced and dealt with really quickly.

DrJomster

Great fun! Hadn't noticed the author of Summer Falls. Good spot!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

Greg M.

My favourite bit of the episode was some quality gurning from Smith whilst on the motorbike - like a young Joe Dredd...

...or possibly Les Dawson, it's difficult to say.

Daveycandlish

An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Link Prime

Quote from: Greg M. on 30 March, 2013, 09:24:45 PM
My favourite bit of the episode was some quality gurning from Smith whilst on the motorbike - like a young Joe Dredd...

I think I made a similar face when they shoehorned the "Doctor Who" line in again...

Ah, I hate being old & cynical.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Greg M. on 30 March, 2013, 09:01:16 PMWhat's the odds that the lady in the shop who gave her the Doctor's number was [spoiler]River Song[/spoiler]?

Nah, the description was "lady in the shop", not "old lady in the shop".

Grant Goggans

BAH.  BBC America cut the "next time" trailer in favor of the tenth commercial for "Orphan Black" that they'd aired in the previous two hours.  (That show follows Who at 9 pm.)

I enjoyed that a lot.  I do wish the directors would start telling the Moffat girls to SLOW DOWN and stop being sassy motormouths, but I suppose that it's too late for that at this stage.  When "Companion talks too fast" is your only real complaint, I think that makes the episode a winner.

Zarjazzer

I enjoyed it but it seemed so rushed. Bits of the bike going up the Shard reminded me of Ghost Rider. Not perhaps a good thing.Generally though pretty fun, good to see U.N.I.T at the end.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

vzzbux

Recorded this last night. Came down this morning and Robbie was watching DR Who. Me thinking that it was an old one on Dave sat down to watch it with him. He had watched most of it and it was near the end and I was thinking I dont remember this one. The sudden realisation that this was last nights episode had me running out the room. Curses I now have a whole episode to watch from which I know most of the ending.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Steve Green

Quote from: Link Prime on 30 March, 2013, 10:48:48 PM
Quote from: Greg M. on 30 March, 2013, 09:24:45 PM

I think I made a similar face when they shoehorned the "Doctor Who" line in again...

Ah, I hate being old & cynical.