Main Menu

Prog 1824 - Back of Beyond!

Started by JamesC, 16 March, 2013, 09:47:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Montynero

Dredd was exciting. I personally quite enjoy seeing artists' different take on the lawmaster, which is hard to draw. Got a bit confused by all the new vehicles in a derelict MC2. Overall, I like the way this fleshes out Dredd's world.

Dandridge was my favourite this week. I enjoy these type of decadent shenanigans, as readers of Death Sentence will attest, though the stories and worlds are satisfyingly different. Good to see Alec back in the prog.

Survival Geeks was a funny and well written debut, as you'd expect from Rennie and Beeby. Art was a bit Time Flies in places, but it looked cool and the storytelling worked really well. Entertaining!

Stickleback was great in both art and script. I'd have liked it more if it was five or six pages. The extra strory space seemed a bit decompressed, with a set up and explosion that would otherwise have fitted into a normal episode. Wouldn't mind a bit, perfectly valid storytelling, except it means four stories not five. When the prog hasn't got five stories in it I feel it's missing something. I went to read the last story and got all disappointed.

Anyway, I read all the excellent annotations on here from Eamonn and others and then reread the last two stories again, and found lots more to enjoy. So thanks for that. Good value.

Can't wait for Zombo!!

Mabs

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 20 March, 2013, 03:25:52 PM
Is that not Hammerstein's 'new' head on the hat rack?

I thought it was a Storm Trooper helmet, but it does look very much like what you've cited but the colouring is wrong.  :-*
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Fisticuffs

Think the sword next to the SG-1 Jaffa-cake staff weapon is Arwens sword from LOTR. http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Hadhafang Also you see in one the next page that the model is indeed Joe Pineapples, and not, as I originally thought, a warhammer 40K Vindicare. *removes nerd hat*

Tombo

Quote from: Mabs on 20 March, 2013, 02:27:39 PM
Quote from: James Stacey on 20 March, 2013, 01:32:13 PM
From memory there was a Stargate SG1 Jaffa staff weapon on the left of the pic.

Yes it was! I don't know how i could've missed that.  :-\

You both also missed the lightsabre alongside them, for shame!

Mabs

By Yoda's green ears - you're right! And i call myself a Star Wars fan boy (or man).. :(

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Albion

The whole Prog was drokking zarjaz. Loved every page.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

The Adventurer

Great Prog!

Dredd was a good little action piece. I'm not super hot on Dandridge as a strip yet, I'm not sure if I ever will. But this was good enough. Survival Geeks... for some reason I can't stop thinking this could be the new Bec & Kawl that the Prog desperately needs IMO. If it ever comes back after this run. Great art style.

And Stickleback. Whoa mama, things sure have changed for our ol' Pope of Crime, eh?

Next week. ZOMBO. Yesssss.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

The Adventurer

Also, by my count this is the 3rd run of 3rillers, yes? Presumably they'll be two more 3riller runs this year. I wonder if we'll see a 3riller trade next year some time. I'm really digging the format, not all of them have been amazing, but I'm liking them a bit more then Future Shocks as a proving ground for concepts and creators.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

hippynumber1

Quote from: Mabs on 20 March, 2013, 05:15:09 PM
Quote from: hippynumber1 on 20 March, 2013, 03:25:52 PM
Is that not Hammerstein's 'new' head on the hat rack?

I thought it was a Storm Trooper helmet, but it does look very much like what you've cited but the colouring is wrong.  :-*

The colouring's 'wrong' because the curtains are closed so the light is filtered blue? Maybe? :-\

Fisticuffs

One thing I did notice in Dredd - What's with all the facial hair on the H-Wagon Judges? Is it a reference/in joke to something? Are Judges even allowed facial hair? Dunno. *scratches head*

As for the helmet in the bedroom, no way is that a Stormtrooper helmet, looks nothing like one. Probably something obscure from Blakes 7 or Dr Who or something.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Fisticuffs on 20 March, 2013, 09:17:55 PM
As for the helmet in the bedroom, no way is that a Stormtrooper helmet, looks nothing like one. Probably something obscure from Blakes 7 or Dr Who or something.

It's Hammerstein's Ro-busters head.
@jamesfeistdraws

Mabs

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 20 March, 2013, 09:33:43 PM
Quote from: Fisticuffs on 20 March, 2013, 09:17:55 PM

It's Hammerstein's Ro-busters head.

Yes it is! Good spot there Dark Jimbo!  :)

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Bat King

Quote from: Molch-R on 19 March, 2013, 03:40:51 PM
Quote from: vzzbux on 18 March, 2013, 01:38:53 PM
Cudos to the Carroll Droid for pandering to us moaning bastards by dotting the i's and crossing the t's from that final panel from the other week.

Worth pointing out that this episode was written and drawn well before the previous issue ever even reached the Nerve Centre, so it was pretty much the plan all along ;)

I was going to mention that too. The line up of this Prog will have been long settled before we read Wolves. The chaos don't rustle these stories up between Progs...

My review is here - http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/2013/03/21/2000ad-prog-1824-general-release-200313-spoilers/

And there is a link in there to my review of Wolves that discussed Mega City Two background in brief.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Proudhuff

Anyone thinking the lizard people in Stickleback could be linked to the lizard people we saw in Red Seas a couple of stories back? along with the Dinos from under the earth...
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Proudhuff on 21 March, 2013, 10:17:18 AM
Anyone thinking the lizard people in Stickleback could be linked to the lizard people we saw in Red Seas a couple of stories back? along with the Dinos from under the earth...

I do wonder about all this. We all (or should I just say I rather than speak for others?) seem to be waiting for the Edgiverse explode, or should that be implode, into one interconnected 'event'. There are so many hints about that happening. Maybe he's just teasing us though and allowing the subtle interplays just stand rather than thrash it all out?

That or all the different stories are set on different planets in the Brass Sun world, that's my latest!