Main Menu

Ian Gibson totally misses the point...

Started by Richmond Clements, 20 March, 2013, 09:04:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richmond Clements

I know I keep going on about sexism and the depiction of female characters in comics, but really, this Halo print by Gibson really takes the biscuit... it's as if he does not understand what makes her a great character at all...
http://www.bristolexpo.co.uk/index.php/8-expo-main/163-bcexpo-exclusive-prints-by-ian-gibson-2

TordelBack

Ian is an incredible artist, and obviously he needs to make a living from his great talent, but let's face it, that's just an artfully-done generic cheesecake poster with the name 'Halo' written on it, solely to up the demand.  It in no way resembles our heroine.  I do like the one on the left, though!

Fatboydale

Bunch a puffs ....man up and grow balls ,that image is great , everyone love's naked ladys boobs ...... even better she looks like Halo ....its only a drawing , unless you have the same talent , then you can make a comment ...  ;)

hippynumber1

Oh dear...  I know there's a market for this kind of thing but that's really disrespectful to the character imo.  Halo was a strong, positive, intelligent female character who never had to rely on her sexuality, her background was almost puritanical in its approach to bared skin and we all know how she felt about THAT uniform.  Our Halo would never do this (I know she's not real).  This print pretty much undermines everything Moore and Gibson said about women in comics and Halo Jones as a character.

Fatboydale

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 20 March, 2013, 09:17:36 PM
Oh dear...  I know there's a market for this kind of thing but that's really disrespectful to the character imo.  Halo was a strong, positive, intelligent female character who never had to rely on her sexuality, her background was almost puritanical in its approach to bared skin and we all know how she felt about THAT uniform.  Our Halo would never do this (I know she's not real).  This print pretty much undermines everything Moore and Gibson said about women in comics and Halo Jones as a character.

arrrr how do you know that , the story has yet to be finished !!!! and it only looks like Halo ...

Many women are working in the adult industry and they are also strong interdependent intelligent women ....why not Halo Jones ..??

hippynumber1

The story's finished! Whether we like it or not!

And I'm not, for one second, suggesting that women who work in the adult industry aren't strong, independent or intelligent.  At no point in the story (complete as it is) does Halo indicate any inclination towards the 'industry' and therefore it doesn't happen - the character doesn't exist outside of that story, therefore she never posed topless!  ;)

Fatboydale

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 20 March, 2013, 09:28:31 PM
The story's finished! Whether we like it or not!

And I'm not, for one second, suggesting that women who work in the adult industry aren't strong, independent or intelligent.  At no point in the story (complete as it is) does Halo indicate any inclination towards the 'industry' and therefore it doesn't happen - the character doesn't exist outside of that story, therefore she never posed topless!  ;)

Never say never ..... and somewhere there will be a pile of sketch with boobs and bush .... let me have a quick look ....  ;)

Dark Jimbo

Of the 6 billion people on this planet, exactly one has earned the right to draw Halo Jones however he likes, and that man is Ian Gibson.
@jamesfeistdraws

CrazyFoxMachine

Bloody hell.

This is a misstep and a half. Are we sure it's Halo, though? I know the BCE website says it is, but she looks utterly different. What's that thing in the background?

I don't care if Alan Moore drew it himself on a napkin, it's weird.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 20 March, 2013, 09:32:56 PM
Of the 6 billion people on this planet, exactly one has earned the right to draw Halo Jones however he likes, and that man is Ian Gibson.

Bullshit.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 20 March, 2013, 09:34:28 PM
Bloody hell.

This is a misstep and a half. Are we sure it's Halo, though? I know the BCE website says it is, but she looks utterly different. What's that thing in the background?

I don't care if Alan Moore drew it himself on a napkin, it's weird.

It's Gibson - just be grateful it has a background...

Fatboydale

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 20 March, 2013, 09:35:32 PM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 20 March, 2013, 09:32:56 PM

Bullshit.

Nope your wrong ..... its his ...and he can do what ever he wants ....even draw a penis and balls on it ...

Dark Jimbo

@jamesfeistdraws

Richmond Clements