Main Menu

Prog 1829 - The Beast Unleashed!

Started by JamesC, 20 April, 2013, 10:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grant Goggans

I also think that Ghostship Mathematica should be left alone, but I certainly enjoyed the story, and really applaud the artwork.  Inaki Miranda probably deserves some kind of "most improved artist" medal.  I've never liked Miranda's work on Dredd and actively hate his bloated bodybuilder physique, but this is so many leagues superior in every way.

Everything else is really solid.  Lots of great dialogue in Zombo.

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: Mikey on 24 April, 2013, 02:53:14 PM
Dredd wrapped up well. This was a great introduction to Hamida who I hope will be back soon, and for me definitely one of the more successful Psi stories. Good stuff people!

It wasn't actually Hamida's introduction. She previously appeared in the story "Scream" (Progs 1737-1739).

That full page advert for The Gunheadz looks like a throw back to the kind of strips you'd see in 2000AD in the 90s.

Alien Goodness

Cover - I will "cover" (boom! boom!) this in my comments on Stickleback

Dredd - [spoiler]I was shitting me-self when Hamida got shot! "Not another promising character killed" I wailed. Relieved to find it wasn't so.[/spoiler] The large Judge shoulder pieces are very 80s aren't they?

Dandridge - I think Max Beta is one of my favourite villians. Should another one appear called VHS, I'll always think he's inferior to Beta, Max.

Zombo - Did you understand the plot? Nah, me neither. Did you love the double page Flint spread? Yeh, me too. And have you sunk the song 'Yellow Submarine' from swimming around in your brain yet?

3rillers - Lovely, lovely story and artwork. I'll remember this one for a long time.

Stickleback - I think D'Israeli is a Picasso amongst comic artists. And like Picasso with his cubist artwork, while I appreciate his genius, I don't find his Stickleback artwork easy to look at. For example, I don't think the cover is going to win Pete Wells 'Cover of the Year'. I found the fight sequences very static. Sometimes I have to squint to work out what the pictures are saying. Having said all this, I wouldn't want D'Israeli to stop his experimental approach. I just hope that this style will be confined to Stickleback...

McNulty

Quote from: Dandontdare on 23 April, 2013, 09:34:34 PM
Quote from: McNulty on 23 April, 2013, 09:26:17 PM
Dredd: I must have missed something in Dredd. [spoiler]I thought that the creature erased people from reality when it absorbed them. But then surely all the actions and their consequences should have been erased as well. If the creature did erase Dredd, then would Mega City One even exist at all after that?[/spoiler]

asked and answered above!

Cheers Dandontdare!

Mikey

Oh aye, I know Hamida has appeared before now Tim- I meant this was an introduction in the sense that she was the main protagonist,bit more meat on the bones.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

Taryn Tailz

Quote from: Mikey on 24 April, 2013, 10:48:12 PM
Oh aye, I know Hamida has appeared before now Tim- I meant this was an introduction in the sense that she was the main protagonist,bit more meat on the bones.

Yeah I worked out that was what you'd meant after I'd posted that reply.  :lol:

Hawkmumbler

"Purple Air-Balloon" might just be the best thing ever.

Robert Frazer

The Ghost President is a pretty savvy character. I'd vote for him, if there were any more elctions.
Latest Video - The ESSENTIAL Judge Dredd

Cactus

Quote from: Robert Frazer on 25 April, 2013, 01:37:29 PM
The Ghost President is a pretty savvy character. I'd vote for him, if there were any more elctions.
Have you read the previous series? He was a deranged wingnut when he was alive. I'm voting for the Shadow Party, for evil you can rely on.
I'm a tucker hot seat trucker and I'm voking cheerio, ten-ten!

Goaty

Quote from: Cactus on 25 April, 2013, 03:05:48 PM
Have you read the previous series? He was a deranged wingnut when he was alive. I'm voting for the Shadow Party, for evil you can rely on.

He was based on Donald Trump, (as he kept fired people!)

Hawkmumbler

I would..but Mr.J.V.Satan's cum face scares me.

Frank

That, ladies and gentlemen, is how you do a centre spread. It's got to be my favourite use of the form since the days when John Higgins marshaled the ranks of MC1's democratic movement across the two pages in the middle of my prog, separated from the opposing forces of law and order only by a couple of staples and a paper crease. The mind-expanding scale of that image and the intensity of the vivid colour palette support what the Fab psychedelia and free association of the narrative is trying to do - which is the point, and the joy of great comic art.

This, and D'Israeli drawing monster weirdness.

Robert Frazer

That's just the thing though - Ghost President is not alive and he's changed in more ways than his core body temperate. Once you've filtered out the 1930s-Amazing-Stories-cover-strapline speech, Ghost President is actually making a lot of sense in confronting the terror of the deathworlds by inspiring life and awakening a different spirit in the heart of our own planet through the Conehead Beatles' music. It's a good plan, and so far, it seems to be working.
Latest Video - The ESSENTIAL Judge Dredd

Pop Culture Bandit

Great Prog!

Would love to see more Ghostship Mathematica in the future - moreso than Survival Geeks! These recent Tharg's 3rillers have been really good and from the preview image on the Gunheadz looks to continue this trend.

Here is a link to my blog with a more detailed Review - http://popculturebandit.blogspot.com/2013/04/2000-ad-prog-1829.html