Main Menu

Best thing to put on toast?

Started by I, Cosh, 15 May, 2013, 12:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

I realise that cheese is going to be hard to beat here but let's see how imaginative we can be.

We can all agree that toast with lashings of thick, creamy butter is delicious. For a delicious breakfast, little is needed beyond the addition of an egg or two. Poached, boiled (with the egg chopped up on the toast rather than soldiers) or scrambled are all excellent choices. In fact, I reckon I would be perfectly happy to eat something egg based at every meal for a week without getting bored. I digress.

Let's get a little more esoteric. The other day I'd had a large, late lunch so was only in the mood for a light kitchen supper. Searching the cupboards for inspiration I came across the perfect solution. Not something  I have often but it always hits the spot. Two slices of white bread toasted and buttered. A splash of lemon, salt and pepper to taste.

Crack open the tin of crabmeat, apply liberally to the toast and season as required. Delicious.

So, what could be better than that? Sardines also good, but not the winner.

For the record, I think jams, marmalades and similar sweet spreads should be reserved for children and the senile. Essentially, if you're in possession of a set of adult teeth you should have a more discerning palate.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Get some egg mayo under that cheese and you got a real winner.

Oh and since I'm from Sheffield (these days) you gotta add a dash of Henderson's too.

Now stop waffling (no pun intended) about toast and get on with belittling my opinion about Red Seas will ya!

Goaty

Link Prime

I'm normally all about the savory Cosh, but the best slice of toast is in fact;

- Thick fresh white bread, lightly toasted.
- Generous spread of Mascarpone cheese.
- M&S raspberry jam.

HEAVEN.

Recrewt

Best thing I ever had on toast was a full english breakfast!

Trout

Curry sauce, preferably when it's from last night's takeaway.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Wrong. The answer is beans, black pudding and cheese
You may quote me on that.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 15 May, 2013, 12:49:28 PM
Hmm. Egg mayo and cheese would probably be my number 1 baked potato filling but I'm not sure about toast. Unless you're suggesting putting the egg on first then melting the cheese? In which case you may be some sort of demented genius. I sometimes like a thin layer of pate under my toasted cheese but this is worth investigating.

Quote from: Goaty on 15 May, 2013, 12:54:03 PM
How about some baked beans?
By no means a bad suggestion (particularly with the addition of some cheese and a dash of worcestershire) but perhaps not that exciting.

Quote from: Trout on 15 May, 2013, 01:08:20 PM
Curry sauce, preferably when it's from last night's takeaway.
Now we're getting somewhere! I normally use the leftover poppadoms/naan/prawn crackers for this but I like you're style. As an aside, my dad used to enjoy a slice of toast drenched in vinegar. And he wondered why he got ulcers.

All other standard breakfast items mentioned above are better served with raw toast (aka bread) or a roll.
We never really die.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Cosh on 15 May, 2013, 02:00:29 PM
Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 15 May, 2013, 12:49:28 PM
Hmm. Egg mayo and cheese would probably be my number 1 baked potato filling but I'm not sure about toast. Unless you're suggesting putting the egg on first then melting the cheese? In which case you may be some sort of demented genius. I sometimes like a thin layer of pate under my toasted cheese but this is worth investigating.

Demented genius it is then. Yeah its basically a tuna melt but with egg not tuna... and Henderson's relish, but you wouldn't use that for Tuna Melt that's just be so Barnsley.

von Boom

Quote from: El Pops on 15 May, 2013, 01:27:59 PM
Wrong. The answer is beans, black pudding and cheese
^Win.

As an alternate I'd go with brown sauce, smoked salmon, poached eggs.

radiator

Olive tapenade.

or

Smoked Mackerel pate.

Too middle class?

The Doctor Alt 8

The Doctor Alt 8

For me tuna with melted chease... especially mexiacna cheader...

Daveycandlish

Gentlemens Relish (not a euphenism! It's anchovy paste) with a poached egg on top
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Rog69