Main Menu

1833: The Dark Pside

Started by Tjm86, 18 May, 2013, 11:23:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Does anyone else remember when Grant used exactly the same philosophical debate mixed with WWF as the basis of a reasonably amusing Anderson one-off? Although I suppose if I was going to complain about writers treating the same material in different ways I'd have to choose between Halo Jones 3 and DR & Quinch Get Grafted. Nice to see Cass getting some pals to riff off. Let's hope some of them can survive long enough to make it work.

Burns' art is a really nice fit for the backwater, seemingly lower tech environment of this new Sin/Dex run. I'm a bit disappointed that Moses is back again rather than having a completely clean slate but I'll reserve judgement until I see what Abnett does with him.

Thought this was an interestingly talky installment of Stickleback. I'm intrigued to find out who the mysterious figure at the end is; Detective Bey from the first series is surely overdue a reappearance.

Leaving Zombo the highlight of the Prog again as it so often is. Daft dialogue and loony art is a winning combination here.
We never really die.

johnnystress

Really disturbing Anderson tale...looks promising

Pop Culture Bandit

Dredd - Really enjoying this slow-burner with the multiple narratives. I think Sorvino's statement at the end is a red herring and I'm putting all of my creds on [spoiler]Echavez[/spoiler] being the Dredd clone! Oh, and I think this case is going to affect Dolman more than he's letting on, especially if Dredd goes zero-tolerance on Falcon. Looking forward to their inevitable clash!

Sinister Dexter - Slightly surprised by the [spoiler]Moses Tanenbaum[/spoiler] reveal, although I'll be honest, I didn't know his status at the end of the last storyline. What exactly happened to cause this Witness Protection? I'm starting to wonder whether I'm going to need to read up on the past few stories. Can someone give me a brief description of how the two Moses' story resolved itself?

Cadet Anderson - Intrigued by the storyline, although I was shocked by the graphic nature of it. It's a good thing that a more realistic artist wasn't used to depict this one - those [spoiler]chopped-up babies[/spoiler] drawn by someone like Arthur Ransom would have been tough to read. Love Ezquerra's artwork, as always, even if it doesn't quite fit the tone.

Stickleback - Basically the gang sit around a fire (of sorts) and reminisce, while the mysterious threat begins to develop around them. Despite the large amount of self-referential moments, this wasn't as disorientating for me (as a new reader) as it could have been.

Zombo - Still feeling a bit cold on this one - I'm getting the gist of the story and who I should root for, but I just don't think I care. Hopefully the next series is 'back to basics' and isn't so entrenched in continuity and seemingly inscrutable references to earlier adventures for new readers.

Here's a link to a more detailed review - http://popculturebandit.blogspot.com/2013/05/2000ad-prog-1833.html

The Adventurer

Was there a holiday in the UK this week? Because Prog 1833 didn't make it to my iPad today, or the digital shop. What's up?

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

JOE SOAP

Quote from: The Adventurer on 22 May, 2013, 04:24:35 AM
Was there a holiday in the UK this week? Because Prog 1833 didn't make it to my iPad today, or the digital shop. What's up?

It's not out till Wednesday.

The Adventurer

... I could of swore that my 2000 AD issues turn up around noon Tuesday (US EST Time)

I might be crazy.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

ChickenStu

Haven't had a chance to look at this yet, but I'm really looking forward to the new Cadet Anderson thriller.
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

Hawkmumbler

This new Dredd tale is really doing it for me. It's a different look at how a sub-group of the judges coped during the crisis, and the perspective of the cadets is an altogether more human view than that of Dredd or Dolman. Not everyone got out alive, and those who did are extremely unhappy. That's class writing, especially the interlude with the Mutant family. The level of sympathy I mustered for them in there short appearance is either testament to Carroll's skill as a writer or my bleeding heart. And the art is superb!

Fisticuffs

Prog finally arrived in the post yesterday, a cracking read again, with Dredd the strongest entry by far. Agree with the comments about Zombo from Pop Culture Bandit, apart from the funny 'ammo' joke it's just an impenetrable mess for me.

Bat King

Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

gdwessel

Dredd - Very nice gruesome reveal there.

Anderson - Eh. Evil concept but it just felt flat to me.

Sinister Dexter - Well THAT didn't take long for the whole witness protection thing to fall apart.

Stickleback - Honestly, skipped it.

Zombo - Still think this is the top thrill at the moment. The right balance between extreme violence and comedy.

ChickenStu

OK. Stickleback and Zombo just ain't working for me. The Dredd and especially the Anderson strips were very disturbing. Liking the look of the Sinister Dexter tale. Dig the humour of it.

Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

Bat King

Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Hawkmumbler

Quote of the week. "Aim for the brain! That's the thinky bit!"

DrJomster

I liked "...is this what happens in the men's loo?"

Class!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.