Main Menu

'The Daredevils' 1983

Started by Montynero, 02 July, 2013, 07:27:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Montynero

Bit of a long shot - but anyone got any idea where I could buy some of these magnificent artifacts? Sounds like the best comic ever.

http://www.comics.org/issue/35940/

Charlie boy

They were great, my older brother had a stack of them and I used to read them in secret to avoid his wrath.  Unfortunately, eBay is probably the best option but I'm guessing you've already thought of that and know people will be charging all kinds.

ming

I have the first issue of that (or had; haven't seen it in years now I come to think of it).  On a related note, the min-80s Marvel UK Captain Britain run had some outstanding stuff in it and would be well worth tracking down...

http://www.comics.org/series/3069/covers/

SuperSurfer

That was a brilliant comic. Amongst all the reprints, some excellent home grown material came out of Marvel UK. Keep on meaning to revisit Night Raven from Hulk Weekly.

I loved those Paul Neary covers.

Colin YNWA

That was such a great comic. Alas never owned it myself but borrowed the issues off a friend at school way back and devoured them.

I did look into buying them a while back but they were pretty hard to track down and eBay is the best opinion. A few issues are available at Silveracre, but you will pay Silveracre prices for them.

In the end I contented myself with having the material elsewhere, well must of it. Was it in Daredevil's Alan Moore did that DD parody which was very good as I recall?

QuoteOn a related note, the min-80s Marvel UK Captain Britain run had some outstanding stuff in it and would be well worth tracking down...

There's a run on eBay at the moment but they're after £65 which seems steep?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Marvel-Comics-CAPTAIN-BRITAIN-Vol-2-No-1-14-UK-Rare-Second-Series-BRONZE-AGE-/170764094321?pt=UK_Books_comics_Magazines_UK_Comics_ET&hash=item27c2554b71

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 02 July, 2013, 12:49:12 PM
Was it in Daredevil's Alan Moore did that DD parody which was very good as I recall?

Yep.

It was a high quality comic, though the Moore Captain Britain run does start from Mighty World of Marvel and crosses over into Daredevils which ends up as Captain Britain after Moore finishes his storyline, if I remember correctly.

Charlie boy

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 02 July, 2013, 12:49:12 PM
Was it in Daredevil's Alan Moore did that DD parody which was very good as I recall?
That was brilliant- can't recall whether it's DoirDevil or DoyDevil. Starts with him standing on a dead dog in the gutter with a prostitute beside him. "Standing on a fur rug, I smell perfume. I must be in the Playboy mansion..."
And PigsEye! Behold as he disembowels somebody with a cotton bud!

SuperSurfer

"STAN LEE HAS NOT YET BEEN TOLD ABOUT...
GRIT!
FEATURING –
DOURDEVIL
THE MAN WITHOUT A SENSE OF HUMOUR"

http://akirathedon.com/blobblog/comic-its-alan-moore-frank-miller-pisstake-dourdevil/

Montynero

Thanks, chaps. Those Davis covers are indeed wonderful - but not the comics I'm looking for. Hopefully Daredevils will show up on Ebay soon.

Some more highlights from Russell Willis' Tumblr:

http://stufffromunderthestairs.tumblr.com/post/25027067968/it-seemed-like-alan-moore-had-marvel-uk-create-the

"It seemed like Alan Moore had Marvel UK create The Daredevils so that there was a paid outlet for his astonishingly prolific creativity. In the 3 issues shown here he's responsible for

• A "Sexism in Comics" article

• An Inside Comics piece sub-titled "Stan Lee: Blinded by the Hype"

• Loads of fanzine reviews

• A Night Raven text story with illustrations by David Lloyd

• A 4-D War story strip drawn by David Lloyd

and, oh...

• Captain Britain with Alan Davis

At the time he was also writing V for Vendetta and Marvelman for Warrior (to name just two) and working for 2000AD... (Gary Millidge's Alan Moore Storyteller details all this much better than I can).

The Daredevils was a great buy. You got Alan Moore on Captain Britain and anything else that took his fancy, plus reprints of Frank Miller's Daredevil and Stan Lee and John Romita's Spider-Man... not bad.

The piece on Stan Lee is quite remarkable... remember as you read these quotes from Moore that they are being published by Marvel Comics in 1983...

"Gradually, however, it became clear that Stan Lee was no longer even marginally associated with the line of comics that had made him a very rich man. Oh sure, you get 'Stan Lee Presents' at the top of every splash page and the odd guest-spot of embarrassing geriatric gibberings from the man himself..."

"[Lee] had an influence on the medium which is as benign as it is poisonous."

"[Marvel editors saying that fans only wanted the illusion of change] sounds perceptive... it is also, in my opinion, one of the most specious and retarded theories that it has ever been my misfortune to come across."

Moore closes the piece with: "Stan Lee, in his heyday, did something wildly and radically different. And as far as I'm concerned, his vacant throne will remain empty until we come up with someone who has the guts and the imagination to do the same. Any offers?"

There being none, Mallard Moore promptly picked up the gauntlet he had thrown down.  I imagine even he had no idea of the effect he would have."