Main Menu

Prog 1843: Under Pressure

Started by Jim_Campbell, 27 July, 2013, 12:03:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tombo

So no one else noticed the typo on Sin-Dex this week - page 3, fourth panel down "I'm going to things messy for you"  Is there a "make" missing or should it read "I'm going to messy thing up for your"?

Dark Jimbo

I've wracked my brains, but I just can't work out what's supposed to be funny about Marshall Art Macarthur (or whatever his name is) in Sin/Dex. I wouldn't normally care, but after four weeks of being told repeatedly how funny it's supposed to be... anyone?
@jamesfeistdraws

Tombo

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 01 August, 2013, 08:32:49 PM
I've wracked my brains, but I just can't work out what's supposed to be funny about Marshall Art Macarthur (or whatever his name is) in Sin/Dex. I wouldn't normally care, but after four weeks of being told repeatedly how funny it's supposed to be... anyone?

Martial Art

Frank

Quote from: Tombo on 01 August, 2013, 08:34:14 PM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 01 August, 2013, 08:32:49 PM

Martial Art

+ Field Marshall Douglas MacArthur. Two-way punning represents a new height/nadir in the Abnett canon.

Dark Jimbo

Knew once I asked it would be something obvious.  :-[
@jamesfeistdraws

Hawkmumbler

Glad to see Sensative Klegg come back. And is this the first time we've actualy seen a Klegg live an aquatic lifestyle?

ChickenStu

Really enjoying 2000AD at the moment. The Ten Seconders is boss.
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

dweezil2

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 02 August, 2013, 11:00:54 AM
Glad to see Sensative Klegg come back. And is this the first time we've actualy seen a Klegg live an aquatic lifestyle?

Big fan of Sensative Klegg too!

Great to have him back-maybe Dredd will give him full Judge status by the end!   ;)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

M.I.K.

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 31 July, 2013, 09:17:29 PM
Quote from: rogue69 on 31 July, 2013, 09:10:41 PM
Defoe has one of the best lines in ages "how dare you sir? we can't be satanic. We're British"

Surely a knowing nod to one of cinema's greatest lines - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-goD4ps7IcU

Yup. Thought that straight away. I get the the impression from the Nerve Centre that Tharg hasn't seen it.

Mabs

A magnifcent cover by Carl Critchlow! I love the use of colour and the style of the artwork itself, with the tentacled horror having a go at Dredd. That hand at the bottom is great, signifying that it already has a victim and Dredd is maybe next.

Judge Dredd: Scavengers Part Two

More enjoyable stuff from the Morrison & Critchlow droids. Critchlow's artwork in particular, is marvellous. It was great to see Sensitive Klegg making an appearance. I was under the impression that he was rescued by the Judges near the end of Trifecta, right when Frank was too. In fact I remember Frank making sure Klegg gets on the rescue ship, so I was surprised to see him still aboard the sunken God City. Nonetheless it was a welcome sight and a funny one to boot. Really looking forward to the next instalment.

Defoe: The Damned Part Eight

Tharg was right, the " we're British" line was very funny indeed. As was Gallow's showing off his 'Codpiece"! That panel alone was absolutely hilarious. There was some interesting developments in regards to Damned Jones' shady past, and a gasp inducing ending too. Gallagher's artwork is still of the highest order that we have come to expect. The opening page was absolutely gorgeous, with the close up of Mrs Hopkins and Defoe at the end very impressive aswell. Leigh Gallagher is like the Sergio Leone of art. 

Sinister Dexter: Last Rights Part Three

This was also another enjoyable Thrill, in what was the conclusion to Sin Dex for now. Great artwork by Simon Davies and fun script by Dan Abnett. And a great and bloody finale too proceedings too, welcome to Generica indeed. I wasn't too excited when this new series started but it has been nothing less than superb, hence I look forward to its continuation in the near future.

Age of the Wolf III:  Wolfworld Part Four

This may be the weakest Thrill in the Prog right now, but I must confess I did derive a little enjoyment from this episode, but only slightly. Its strongest point is no doubt Jon Davies-Hunt's excellent artwork, and the last few panels were excellent.

Ten Seconders: Godsend Part Five

Very interesting devolopments are afoot in this episode, not least Paul Malloy's god like powers and his re-moulding of earth as he see's fit, but with devestating consequences. The opening few pages depicting this moment is breathtakingly rendered by Edmund Bagwell. And we also see follow up with the other characters caught up in this calamity, namely Kane and co, ending with a great last panel. Superb stuff. As for Malloy, it seems that anyone who takes on god like powers turns into a massive tit, as is Malloy right now. He asks the question what we would do if we were given those powers, well I for one would leave Damage, the likeable "brute" as he calls him,  the hell alone! 

So an excellent Prog to wrap it up, and like last weeks instalment- very close to perfection.

4.5/5
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie