Main Menu

Under the Dome (TV Series)

Started by Ghastly McNasty, 09 August, 2013, 01:16:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghastly McNasty

Quote from: Radbacker on 10 August, 2013, 03:24:38 AM
its not about what caused the Dome, who put it there or why i think it is more about how people behave when put in such a situation and how quick humans can all get Lord of the Fliesey on each other.

Exactly.

Prof Bear, you mention "it takes them seven weeks to think "hey, you think maybe the dead center of the sphere dome might be worth looking at?"  "

I'm sure your not being literal anyway, and you could be talking in terms of episodic weeks, but in the book  the entire Dome event takes place in just 8 days.

watto911

I'm quite enjoying it just for the tv hokum that it is. It's been ages since I read the book and am struggling to remember the finer details. From what I recall, they do seem to have "softened" it for telly. And yes, the ending of the book was naff as was the end of "IT" I loved "IT" then he ruined it with a fecking [spoiler]spider[/spoiler] at the end. The tv version of that book was atrocious imho but have to agree with previous poster about Salems Lot, excellent.
I'm drowning my sorrows, but my sorrows, they've learned to swim

Theblazeuk

They're really failing to keep this thing going at the same pace though as they didn't have the guts to make Junior crazy enough and they are falling prey to the failings of most American TV shows; ensure the status quo is more or less intact by the end of the day. Killing off a couple of people isn't such a big deal.

Professor Bear

Killing people off is cheap drama - good drama is keeping the viewer interested in seeing where the stories go.  Besides, killing major characters off this early only works if they're goody two-shoes types "oh em gee, I cannot believe they have killed off the most obviously good person in the cast" etc, though that has become a cliche in itself of late.

Theblazeuk

Well last episode was probably the best so far. Maybe sooner or later I'll start to care if any of them get knocked off. The only one I actually like is Joe as he's the only one who thinks

ChickenStu

Yeah, I'll give this TV show a pop. With this and Breaking Bad on Netflix I'll soon be getting TWO doses of that bald D.E.A bloke a week!  ;)
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

Theblazeuk

That is exactly how my Tuesday evening went this week. Hi Hank! Bye Hank! Hello Jim!

Goaty

Goaty

Buttonman

I watched the first three and was mostly unimpressed. What has soured me mainly is the news that it has been renewed for Season 2 - I was hoping for 13 parts with a complete story and that's it. Instead it'll rumble on for years until no one is watching with the narrative made up on the hoof.

Weird to see stars of 'Breaking Bad' and 'Bates Motel' is near identical roles to their other shows. I know you could take that as just looking like themselves but I'm sure big Jim was doing Hank's limp at one point!

Charlie boy

I've caught 2 episodes of this and will have to say it's just not for me. Not only does it seem really cheap (and as others have pointed out here already, it's nothing new) but I just find it badly done. Episode 01 had Junior abduct Angie and lock her in a nuclear bunker. Junior and Angie are two characters I don't know from Adam and so feel nothing for, so I can't say what'll happen here is of any interest to me (what is interesting is it's 2013 and just so you know Junior is bad, he wears a leather jacket and carries a pocket knife. I bet he listens to that rock and roll music everybody is worried about, too). Episode 02 had one teenage boy ask his friend about the "drifter" in town "How do you know he's not from around here?" As a joke, I turned to my friend and said "Because he's real cool!" only for the boy onscreen to say something similar.
Obviously the people behind this want you to take it seriously but for the reasons I've mentioned and more, I just can't and it seems unintentionally comical. For me, this show would have been a lot better if the creative team (and cast) from Sunset Beach- a bizarre soap from the US shown on channel5 some years back- were behind it. But they're not and Buttonman's mention of there being a 2nd series only had me think "Oh dear."

ChickenStu

OK, I've seen the first three episodes now. Not overly impressed so far - but it's early days so I'm willing to stick with this and see where it goes.
Ma Ma's not the law... (you know the rest)

DaveGYNWA

3 episodes in, and about half-way through the 3rd I've decided I've got no further interest in it.

[spoiler]It was the weird kid going past the reporter, and her asking where he was going etc....his response immediately screamed "She's going to follow you now" and it just went further wrong from there.
[/spoiler]

Problem is, the wife likes it so it's going to be on in the background.....so it will seep into my psyche somehow.

Plus, the intro - how long are they going to continue [spoiler]milking that cow getting sliced in half[/spoiler]?

[spoiler]Not long, hur hur hur.[/spoiler]
Peas sell. But who's Brian?

Dandontdare

Looks like they've 'done a Lost' with this - what was supposed to be a self contained 13 part story has proved surprisingly popular so it's now a 5+ series make-it-up-as-you-go-along bollocksfest.