blackmocco

"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

COMMANDO FORCES

Goaty will be upset that you beat him to posting the full trailer :lol:

Goaty

That's awesome trailer and so funny.

Well it out in Jimmy whatever Show in USA last night so some people gotta to sleep, thanks BlackMocco for it!

Goaty

radiator

Really looking forward to this, looks demented and fun.

Steve Green

Yeah, looks like fun - I've never read the comic, but good to see something different instead of yet another Spiderman or Batman or Superman...

Jim_Campbell

Yeah. OK. I was really looking forward to this, right up until the I saw the whole trailer. The tone is a little too post-modern, clever-clever, with an "Ooh, he calls himself 'Starlord'" sneer on its face that puts it at odds with the tone of all the other recent Marvel movies.

It could just be the trailer, but this doesn't fill me with a desire to see the film.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

mimikeke

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 February, 2014, 08:28:33 AM
Yeah. OK. I was really looking forward to this, right up until the I saw the whole trailer. The tone is a little too post-modern, clever-clever, with an "Ooh, he calls himself 'Starlord'" sneer on its face that puts it at odds with the tone of all the other recent Marvel movies.

It could just be the trailer, but this doesn't fill me with a desire to see the film.

Cheers

Jim

from what I hear they are deliberately trying to do something different in tone.  same with Winter Soldier and trying to make it feel more like a spy thriller.

JOE SOAP

It might not be translating well because of the trailer but the humour is falling flat, looks great otherwise.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: mimikeke on 19 February, 2014, 08:38:46 AM
from what I hear they are deliberately trying to do something different in tone.

I get that. But the trailer suggests that the tone is, at least in part, mocking: "A raccoon — WTF?!" "He calls himself Starlord?!"

Here's the thing about the characters in the Marvel universe: they're all stupid. The other Marvel movies have admirably managed gloss over this basic fact by concentrating on their virtues. They've found room for humour — in Tony Stark's cynicism, in the fish-out-of-water potential of Cap and Thor — but not by means of pointing out that the characters are fundamentally silly.

If that's the route they're going down, I think it's a mis-judgement. It will certainly make for a film that I don't particularly want to see.

I'm sure there will be more trailers and/or clips between now and release to help us make a better judgement, but if this what they want to put front and centre to help us form our first impression, then that impression worries me.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Radbacker

well I like Slither and Super so count me in for this, Gunn always brings the humour (which is maybe over stated in that preview) but he also always brings the hurt so I think we may be in for a bit of a surprise here. I think the movie may be a bit more serious that the tone of the trailer suggests (mind you that's just going of Gunn previous lower budget work, maybe Marvel have told him to make it light and fluffy)

CU Radbacker

Professor Bear

The teaser released the other day was visually impressive and had me psyched, but the tone of the full trailer is painfully unfunny and comes off as ashamed of its own genre trappings where previous Marvel films seemed knowing and confidant.  I had hopes this would be an entertaining pastiche in the way the Stargate movie was, but it looks like it wants to be the new Pluto Nash (complete with really bad panto-level comic timing), which to me seems a big step backwards for superhero films - Marvel efforts especially.

Plus is it just me or is the Starlord actor really poor?

radiator

I don't particularly see much difference to the knowing, irreverent way they treated Thor - the more cosmic/fantastical side of Marvel movies work best with a large dash of humour, and primarily selling this as a comedy seems to make a lot of sense - I'm sure they'll be an equal amount of badass action and visual wonder in the actual film.

And Chris Pratt is a great comedic actor.

Goaty