Main Menu

I'm not enjoying the prog these days - and I know why.

Started by The Enigmatic Dr X, 15 September, 2013, 02:07:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheldipez

Quote from: JamesC on 19 September, 2013, 08:16:29 PM
The 3riller format is something that's really worked well IMHO. The three episodes allow a Future Shock type story a little room to breathe without giving writers the opportunity to waffle (for want of a better word). I can't think of any 3riller that would have benefitted from being stretched out over 6 episodes, which is presumably what would have happened with these pitches before the introduction of the 3riller format (if they ever saw the light of day at all)?

The 3rillers have all been great so far; they have room to breathe, have a proper beginning, middle & end and don't have a chance to outstay their welcome. I think everyone I've read I've came away wanting more. So yeah; more please!

Grant Goggans

Well, on the plus side, The Red Seas, Age of the Wolf and - after an epilogue episode in December - The Ten-Seconders have all concluded this year, and I'm pretty sure that this is the final Damnation Station.  I'd actually like Tharg to commission not quite so many brand new ongoing series to replace these four, but mix in some one-off serials and 3rillers, and pick up the pace and get some of these once-every-18-monthers back in the prog more frequently.

13school

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 19 September, 2013, 12:59:12 PM
Quote from: 13school on 19 September, 2013, 11:45:29 AM
I'd dread a prog filled with long-running soap operas

What part of anything anyone has said has led you to believe that was being suggested?

Cheers

Jim

I may have chosen the term "soap opera" unwisely (in fact, I'm sure I did) - but my personal preference thrill-wise tends towards bursts of Pat Mills-type insanity (or more recently, thrills like Zombo and Shakara). I read 2000ad in large part for the ideas on offer - not that the stories or characters aren't important, but crazy concepts and plenty of them will always be my first love.

So a prog that's heavy with character-based drama and plot twists, while often a good read, isn't always my ideal prog.

JeffreyMT

Hi.
Long time reader, part time poster!
I read the review thread on this notice board to make up for the irregularity of the letters page, this weeks prog excepted!

I think Grant Goggins and the Enigmatic Doctor X encapsulate a lot of the frustrations I feel with 2000AD nowadays. I wouldn't advocate 26 week thrills but I would like to see another strip running for 26-30 weeks a year with episodes of varying length.
Off the top of my head I think Aquila, Absalom, Grey Area, Sinister Dexter and Dandridge all have enough going on their respective worlds to be able to achieve this. This was the format used for Cabbalistics Inc and it was enough to make it one of my favourite strips of the last 10 years, despite the incomplete ending.

Regards, Jeff

Mabs

Quote from: sheldipez on 19 September, 2013, 09:25:01 PM
The 3riller format is something that's really worked well IMHO. The three episodes allow a Future Shock type story a little room to breathe without giving writers the opportunity to waffle (for want of a better word). I can't think of any 3riller that would have benefitted from being stretched out over 6 episodes, which is presumably what would have happened with these pitches before the introduction of the 3riller format (if they ever saw the light of day at all)?

The 3rillers have all been great so far; they have room to breathe, have a proper beginning, middle & end and don't have a chance to outstay their welcome. I think everyone I've read I've came away wanting more. So yeah; more please!

Yeah same here too, more please Tharg!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Proudhuff

Quote from: Mabs on 20 September, 2013, 04:28:13 PM
Quote from: sheldipez on 19 September, 2013, 09:25:01 PM

Yeah same here too, more please Tharg!

Given that Futureshocks are now down to a almost unworkable 4 pages, the 3rillers seem to be the way to go for new writers BUT aren't they Tharg invite-only?

DDT did a job on me

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Proudhuff on 21 September, 2013, 11:42:00 AM
Given that Futureshocks are now down to a almost unworkable 4 pages,

What's unworkable about that? In the past, Future Shocks have been three, one-and-a-half and even one page.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Proudhuff

one page intro, two to tell, one to twist, yes it can be done, but how well? given that nearly every twist and turn has been used. I think even our best writers would struggle to create something genuinely new and fresh within the striaght jacket of four pages, perhaps that shoould be the challenge to comics big names, instead of ongoing ever expanding strips?
DDT did a job on me

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Proudhuff on 21 September, 2013, 01:00:41 PM
I think even our best writers would struggle to create something genuinely new and fresh within the striaght jacket of four pages

I'm sorry, but I think that's utter nonsense. The absolute first thing anyone wanting to write for 2000AD should learn is how to tell a concise, punchy story before they're let anywhere near a longer run. If they can't tell a decent story in three, four or five pages, then there's no reason to suppose they'll do any better with fifteen, twenty or forty pages.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

GordonR

You can easily fit a Future Shock into four pages.  Cutting out a page of what's often relative waffle would probably benefit the format.

Proudhuff

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 21 September, 2013, 01:06:05 PM
Quote from: Proudhuff on 21 September, 2013, 01:00:41 PM
I think even our best writers would struggle to create something genuinely new and fresh within the striaght jacket of four pages

The absolute first thing anyone wanting to write for 2000AD should learn is how to tell a concise, punchy story before they're let anywhere near a longer run. If they can't tell a decent story in three, four or five pages, then there's no reason to suppose they'll do any better with fifteen, twenty or forty pages.

Cheers

Jim

Agree that is the case for new writers starting out. 
But I can think of a couple of chaps who appear in the Prog who, to be truthful, would struggle to pass the four page story test now. Bitter moi? probably  :D

DDT did a job on me

Dragonfly

Some of Alan Moore's best work for the prog were Future Shocks, surely the greatest being Chrono Cops (okay that was a Time Twister but it's the same thing!), and many of those were under four pages! One of the best things he has ever done was the six page Greyshirt story How Things Work Out in Tomorrow Stories issue 2. Almost Watchmen like in it's complexity.
I would hazard to suggest that a writer who struggles to tell a story in four pages would struggle with twenty, you've just got to get rid of all the extraneous detail!

Proudhuff

again agreed GG, that AM story just keeps giving with each re-read. Dare I say that most 'easy reach' twists have been used up and its tougher now to find a new slant?

Also while I'm making enemies here, its often inexperienced artists who are put on these ( so the can gain experience and try out I Know) however due to their nature these tales really need the best storytelling and art skills.

DDT did a job on me

Skullmo

I think all new artists should have to draw an Alan Moore future shock as their test :D
It's a joke. I was joking.

Hawkmumbler

The future shock in the Night Zero floppy is a perfect example of how to make a great story in three pages.