Main Menu

Greysuit will return?

Started by A.Cow, 25 November, 2013, 05:19:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

A.Cow

Whilst perusing through some old progs I came across a "Thrills of the Future" promotion for "Greysuit: Prince of Darkness" way back in Prog 1827 (April 2013).

Unless my memory is playing tricks, I don't recall ever seeing this.  Has this gone to the special Pat Mills section of Development Hell?  Were there "creative differences" with Tharg?

Colin YNWA

Yeah thats a good point. Pat Mills has talked a lot about that returning and still nowt. Maybe its with John Higgins awaiting the art?

TordelBack

Maybe Tharg is hoping we'll forget all about it.  I know I am.

Richmond Clements

I believe John's drawing it at the moment (or was a couple of months ago)...

TordelBack

John Higgins art: 100 points for Gryffintharg.  My least favourite Pat Mills strip: minus 100 points.  Result: The House Cup hangs in the balance.

AlexF

Greysuit isn't a complete waste of space - Mills' general idea to update MACH 1 using a mixture of therapies worked pretty well, I think (aided by that rather sumptuous Henry Flint cover way back http://www.2000ad.org/functions/cover.php?choice=1544&Comic=2000ad), coupled with the visual glory of showing how hyper-trained spies can cause insane amounts of bodily damage (talk about writing to the strengths of the artist!).

Sadly the actual plot details of what Greysuit gets up to are some of Mills' worst, and of all the one-off ideas that he's thrown onto the page to decide to draw out across several epsiodes, the Ginger Ninja is about the very worst ever. I'm actually a bit sorry to have brought the phrase back into people's heads. Sorry.

If was a bit more Spooks meets Bourne, and a bit less 'all powerful men in government are evil paedophiles', I'd be very happy. Seriously Pat, we know you hate authority figures, and that there are lots of good reasons to do so. Got any other plots?

TordelBack

Quote from: AlexF on 25 November, 2013, 10:49:55 AM...the Ginger Ninja is about the very worst ever....'all powerful men in government are evil paedophiles'...

Let's not forget the Balkan sheep-shagging gags. Ha. Ha. Ha.

I love Mills, I truly do, and I think some of his recent work is up there with his very best (all of Defoe, some of NuFlesh and Savage), but Greysuit makes me grind my teeth and mutter. However, I will always support Mills' right to write whatever he wants and get it in the Prog - it's his party, after all, and the hits far outweigh the misses.  I just wish he wouldn't write this.

Trout

Tordel speaks well.

I'd love to see more ABC Warriors, though.

judgerufian

Quote from: Trout on 26 November, 2013, 02:04:18 AM
Tordel speaks well.

I'd love to see more ABC Warriors, though.

Think he dropped the ball on ABC Warriors a couple of Volgan War's ago....though Flesh and Savage are currently very good.

dweezil2

I really enjoyed Greysuit so I'm glad it's coming back!   ;)
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

Proudhuff

Unless Tharg gets EVER copy of those photos and the negatives, Greysuite will return
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Quote from: judgerufian on 27 November, 2013, 09:48:46 AM
Think he dropped the ball on ABC Warriors a couple of Volgan War's ago....

I thought the most recent Hammerstein stuff was excellent, I'd love to see more in that vein.