Main Menu

JUDGE DREDD: IDW #13 'French for Black''

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 27 November, 2013, 05:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Warwick Davis is, Judge Dredd.

Sorry, I feel like a prick now.

SmallBlueThing

It really shouldn't give me any pleasure whatsoever to see that- but fuck me, it really does. To think that there are PAID COMIC ARTISTS out there who are that shit, well, it just makes me want to ring up every single one of you who contribute time and again on here and give their lives to monumental comic art, but haven't yet "cracked it" and say "look at the standard IDW have- you are already so far past that it's gone past funny, through horrifying and back into funny again." Just keep submitting to the companies, because THEY KNOW you are good enough, and are purely waiting for the right opportunity to employ you, or waiting to run out of shit artist mates from college who they want to give jobs to first.

The proportions! The uniform! The pose! The detailing! It's the shittest picture of Dredd I've ever seen! IDW- what an absolute bunch of shysters they are.

SBT

Molch-R

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 30 November, 2013, 07:14:55 PM
IDW- what an absolute bunch of shysters they are.

Criticism is fine, but please refrain from using language like that. It does you no credit.

Mabs

Oh my dear grud, I only just saw this..........I'm lost for words!  :o
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

COMMANDO FORCES

My blank sketch covers are ready to be filled. Now to decide on who to ask from the droids if they would be up for this challange!

blackmocco

Quote from: SmallBlueThing on 30 November, 2013, 07:14:55 PM
It really shouldn't give me any pleasure whatsoever to see that- but fuck me, it really does. To think that there are PAID COMIC ARTISTS out there who are that shit, well, it just makes me want to ring up every single one of you who contribute time and again on here and give their lives to monumental comic art, but haven't yet "cracked it" and say "look at the standard IDW have- you are already so far past that it's gone past funny, through horrifying and back into funny again." Just keep submitting to the companies, because THEY KNOW you are good enough, and are purely waiting for the right opportunity to employ you, or waiting to run out of shit artist mates from college who they want to give jobs to first.

The proportions! The uniform! The pose! The detailing! It's the shittest picture of Dredd I've ever seen! IDW- what an absolute bunch of shysters they are.

SBT

Well here's the problem, SBT: In the almost ten years I've been here at Family Guy there have been numerous attempts to get a FG comic up and running a la what Bongo is doing (quite successfully) with The Simpsons. One publisher managed to get three issues of utter crud produced and when the artwork found its way over here for approval, half the staff of the show was roped in to do as much artistic damage control as possible before the head honchos got wind of it. Not just terrible versions of the Family Guy characters, just plain terrible artwork fullstop. Absolutely ghastly and far below the standards of what IDW are currently publishing (although that is in no way defending the artwork you're referring to...!).

Since then, another company has come in, secured the rights and failed miserably at pulling the whole thing together and the reason for both these failures are centered around the same thing: Money and time. As a whole bunch of people on these boards can testify to, illustrating a comic is hard work. Designing characters, vehicles, hardware, buildings, composition, styles, thumbnails, sketches, pencils, inks, color and lettering and then pulling it all together takes time and money and these were the two factors neither of the two companies I'm referring to were remotely interested in. Half the FG staff were willing to illustrate these comics for these companies but the money mentioned and the deadlines they had in mind weren't worth anyone's effort and energy and the companies went with the cheapest nastiest options they could find instead resulting in disaster.

I'm not suggesting IDW are as inept as these other companies but I AM suggesting that the pay rate is probably not that great and with a strip as detail orientated and stylized as Dredd, it's probably put a lot of better and more capable artists off taking the reins.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

JOE SOAP

IDW produced Judge Dredd: Year One, Judge Dredd v Mars Attacks and City of Courts (which is looking more and more like a total classic and an equal to 2000AD for quality) plus an impressive shelf full of the very best prestige, deluxe artist collections Dredd has ever got, so no, IDW are not shysters- they're pushing Dredd and 2000AD material in a way it never has been in the US.

More power to them.

dweezil2

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 02 December, 2013, 08:41:05 PM

IDW produced Judge Dredd: Year One, Judge Dredd v Mars Attacks and City of Courts (which is looking more and more like a total classic and an equal to 2000AD for quality) plus an impressive shelf full of the very best prestige, deluxe artist collections Dredd has ever got, so no, IDW are not shysters- they're pushing Dredd and 2000AD material in a way it never has been in the US.

More power to them.

Wholeheartedly agree!
Savalas Seed Bandcamp: https://savalasseed1.bandcamp.com/releases

"He's The Law 45th anniversary music video"
https://youtu.be/qllbagBOIAo

blackmocco

More power to them.

This. I rag on that main title as much as anyone on here but the side titles have been as good as anything in the prog or meg and I've made no secret of my unhealthy, possibly deviant, love for their artist collections.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Link Prime

IDW are not shysters

Some of their non-2000AD related titles are the best comics being produced in the US right now; Locke & Key and Transformers Regeneration One are excellent productions in every possible way.
I've also picked up the first issue of Wraith: Welcome to Christmasland, and it too is top class.

I'd say I read more IDW titles in 2013 than Marvel or DC.