Main Menu

Godzilla (2014)

Started by Goaty, 10 December, 2013, 06:11:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HdE

Quote from: Spaceghost on 13 May, 2014, 08:49:43 AM
Not sure I agree with Radiator that it's getting 'middling' reviews seeing as it's at a respectable 88% on Rotten Tomatoes at the moment.

As for this -

Quote from: HdE on 12 May, 2014, 06:45:16 PM
I saw a review elsewhere earlier that criticised the movie for being 'all action and no heart', citing the movie's focus on Godzilla over the human drama as a fault.

I read another review where the main criticism was that Godzilla is barely seen for the first hour and that, despite that, the human cast are not given much to work with and fail to make an impression.

Could you not apply that criticism to a lot of the original Toho movies, though? I happily could, even speaking as a fan.

I'm reminded of Godzilla Vs. Ebirah, where the Big G doesn't show up or get to do anything interesting for absolutely aaaaaaaages.

But, whatevs. This is getting my money on Friday. All will become readily apparent then!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

TordelBack

Quote from: HdE on 14 May, 2014, 06:03:04 AM
But, whatevs. This is getting my money on Friday. All will become readily apparent then!

Yep*.  Good or bad, they've already earned my interest and thus my shekels. 

*Apart from 'whatevs', the use of which I abominate. 

Theblazeuk

Is Ultra-Realistic being used with a wink here?

Ultra-realistic giant monster = falls into pieces as it stands under the weight of its own organs, skin and musculature. Sea of messy bits destroys dowtown Tokyo. Or of course giant monster starves due to caloric inefficiencies; giant monster is lightweight enough to exist and therefore harmless as a paper bag; giant monster is killed immediately after encountering any large caliber weaponry...

:P

Of course I know what you mean though - I can suspend my disbelief over all points and accept that monster lizard is bulletproof, absorbs exponential energy from some unknown source and has a skeletal structure that defies physics. If it can smash things in a realistic way given those points I will be very happy!

Spaceghost

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 14 May, 2014, 10:45:20 AM

Ultra-realistic giant monster = falls into pieces as it stands under the weight of its own organs, skin and musculature. Sea of messy bits destroys dowtown Tokyo. Or of course giant monster starves due to caloric inefficiencies; giant monster is lightweight enough to exist and therefore harmless as a paper bag; giant monster is killed immediately after encountering any large caliber weaponry...

First rate internet pedantry there my good man.
Raised in the wild by sarcastic wolves.

Previously known as L*e B*tes. Sshhh, going undercover...

Keef Monkey

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 May, 2014, 08:49:33 AM

Yep*.  Good or bad, they've already earned my interest and thus my shekels. 

I really like this attitude. It might be great and it might be terrible, but if they've got me interested enough to want to find out then I think they deserve my money for their efforts! It's where a lot of 'I wanted to see if it was good or not' pro-piracy arguments fall down with me.

Looking forward to finding out what this thing is either way!

The Enigmatic Dr X

This film is a prime candidate for Dr X's Godzilla Theory.

I can't find the thread I first posted it on, but it dates back to the 1998 Godzilla.

Long story short, I reckon how much you enjoy a film is determined by the difference between its actual quality and your expectation. This is why "so bad it's good" exists as a concept.

Every film has a quality score - and this is your own subjective score, not a movie review - that you attribute to it once seen. Compare that to what you expected when you sat down, and you get an actual impression.

For example, I liked both Godzilla (1998) and The Proposal (The Sandra Bullock film).

Godzilla

Expectation: -40% (I nearly went home when in the line for tickets)
Actual: 20%
Score: 60%

The Proposal
Expecataion: -70% (I watched it under sufferance)
Actual: -20%
Score: 50%

Compare and contrast:

Phantom Menace
Expectation: 80%
Actual: 30% (it's not that bad)
Score: -50%

The point: Phantom Menace is in my view a better film that the 98 Godzilla, yet I enjoyed the latter more than the former.
Lock up your spoons!

Proudhuff

Quote from: Spaceghost on 14 May, 2014, 10:50:06 AM
Quote from: Theblazeuk on 14 May, 2014, 10:45:20 AM

First rate internet pedantry there my good man.

you know that has it's own thread?
DDT did a job on me

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

HdE

ell, WHATEVS. ;)

TordelBack

Quote from: HdE on 14 May, 2014, 04:18:00 PM

ell, WHATEVS. ;)

Mods!  MODS!  HdE is trolling me something fierce, Mods.  He said a bad word twice... well, a bad something, I'm not sure it was actually a word...

Richmond Clements

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 May, 2014, 04:31:22 PM
Quote from: HdE on 14 May, 2014, 04:18:00 PM

ell, WHATEVS. ;)

Mods!  MODS!  HdE is trolling me something fierce, Mods.  He said a bad word twice... well, a bad something, I'm not sure it was actually a word...

Yeah, whatevs.

Frank

I'm sure the internet pedantry of those who're dishing out negative reviews is absolutely above reproach, but it's also been getting good reviews from some unexpected sources. Warning: the following show is so middle class and middle brow you can hear the corduroy over the radio (fast forward 11 minutes if you have no interest in opera)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b042ztrh

Goaty

Ooh now Netflix USA got old Godzillas;

"Godzilla vs. Monster Zero" (1965)
"Godzilla vs. Mothra" (1964)
"Godzilla: King of the Monsters" (1956)
"Godzilla's Revenge" (1969)

Hawkmumbler

Godzilla vs. mothra is a must. Bloody good sci fi it is. Monster Zero is great fun as well, featuring Rodan and King Ghidora. You can pass on Godzilla's Revenge though. :lol:

HdE

I'll second the notion that Godzilla Vs Mothra is must-see material. Those 1960s movies are where it's at, as far as I'm concerned. When they're good, they're really good.