Main Menu

WANTED: Your 2000AD / UK comic anecdotes for charity book!

Started by Stegron, 08 February, 2014, 06:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: Stegron on 14 February, 2014, 12:40:27 AM

'The Unexplained' magazine used to have much the same effect on me - I'll never forget their article on Spontaneous Human Combustion, or the accompanying photos *shudder*

Was that the first issue with the free flexidisk of 'voices from the dead' - supposed recordings of ghosts randomly picked up on old recordings? That was very disturbing.

Alski

2000AD has a lot of memories for me, but perhaps one of the most significant was prog 101 from february 1979. AT ten years old, Pat Mills' writing and Dave Gibbons artwork on Ro-Busters ("The Terra Meks" final part) made me realize that a comic could make you cry. As Charlie, the giant, friendly robot of Northpool (why did these people never use real place names?) saved his city and was subsequently betrayed, only to rise again in triumph to the strains of "You'll Never Walk Alone"... well, that was emotional.
"Cool Stuff You Will Like"

Music, Comics, Books, Video Games, TV and Film reviews/articles.

http://cool-stuff-you-will-like.blogspot.co.uk/

shaolin_monkey

Comics have rarely scared me or freaked me out, but I will always remember some panels by Jose Ortiz.  I believe they were in the Thirteenth Floor, but not sure if it was while that strip was in Scream, or after it's move to The Eagle.

Anyway, it was the usual type of story - people get stuck on ther Thirteenth Floor, and Max the computer creates horrible worlds for them to live through or (more often than not) die in.  The freaky panels of one particular story saw a group of unfortunates trying to escape goblins, which reached up from under the sand or mud and pulled them under. 

The horror of either suffocation under the earth or being torn apart by subterranean humanoids was too much for me - I've treated mud flats and sandy beaches with suspicion ever since. 

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 14 February, 2014, 01:57:24 PM
Comics have rarely scared me or freaked me out, but I will always remember some panels by Jose Ortiz.  I believe they were in the Thirteenth Floor, but not sure if it was while that strip was in Scream, or after it's move to The Eagle.

Anyway, it was the usual type of story - people get stuck on ther Thirteenth Floor, and Max the computer creates horrible worlds for them to live through or (more often than not) die in.  The freaky panels of one particular story saw a group of unfortunates trying to escape goblins, which reached up from under the sand or mud and pulled them under.

Are you sure you're not mixing up Thirteenth Floor with House of Dæmon written by Wagner/Grant and beautifully illustrated by Ortiz...?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Jon

The horror of either suffocation under the earth or being torn apart by subterranean humanoids was too much for me - I've treated mud flats and sandy beaches with suspicion ever since.

I REMEMBER THAT!

Suddenly flooded back in vivid detail - though I think I'd convinced myself it was from House of Daemon.

Must've been Eagle then, I never read Scream.

Jon

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 February, 2014, 02:03:48 PM

Are you sure you're not mixing up Thirteenth Floor with House of Dæmon written by Wagner/Grant and beautifully illustrated by Ortiz...?

Cheers

Jim

Ah, maybe I was right after all. Didn't realise that was Wagner and Grant, my favourite thing for ages. Well, that and Doomlord.

Jim_Campbell

Worth mentioning in passing that Hibernia Comics (according to their FB page) are preparing to launch a collected volume of 'Tower King' from Eagle, by Hebden and Ortiz, which suggests it's not beyond the realms of possibility that they could do a 'House of Dæmon' volume, although I'm not sure of the respective page counts...

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

James Stacey

Stegron

Quote from: Dandontdare on 14 February, 2014, 08:33:50 AM
Quote from: Stegron on 14 February, 2014, 12:40:27 AM

'The Unexplained' magazine used to have much the same effect on me - I'll never forget their article on Spontaneous Human Combustion, or the accompanying photos *shudder*

Was that the first issue with the free flexidisk of 'voices from the dead' - supposed recordings of ghosts randomly picked up on old recordings? That was very disturbing.

Yup, that's the one - I made it about halfway through that flexidisc before switching it off. Never went back...

hippynumber1

I remember standing in a newsagents reading through Starlord - the sequence where the woman bites into the fruit and then drowns in its juices horrified and fascinated me in equal parts. I remembered it vividly long after I'd forgotten where I'd read it...

shaolin_monkey

Cheers

Jim

You are absolutely correct!!!  Thanks for pointing that out.  That's my fairground-mirror memory at it again!  ;)

Stegram, here is my amended recollection:

Comics have rarely scared me or freaked me out, but I will always remember some panels by Jose Ortiz.  I am reliably informed these were from 'The House of Daemon', which ran in The Eagle in 1982.

The owners of a newly built house get stuck in a nightmarish maze created by 'Daemon', a supernatural entity, who creates horrible worlds for them to live through or (more often than not) die in.  The freaky panels of one particular story saw a group of unfortunates trying to escape goblins, which reached up from under the sand or mud and pulled them under.

:D

Emp

Much like SpaceGhost, the death of Wulf was a bit of a shock to me, but the death of Sam Slade was a terrible thing!
Never had the same appeal when it was the female version...and by that time it had been mishandled by certain individuals who shall remain nameless (though not for long i bet).

Bazooka Joe

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 14 February, 2014, 04:10:37 PM

Cheers

Jim

You are absolutely correct!!!  Thanks for pointing that out.  That's my fairground-mirror memory at it again!  ;)

Stegram, here is my amended recollection:

Comics have rarely scared me or freaked me out, but I will always remember some panels by Jose Ortiz.  I am reliably informed these were from 'The House of Daemon', which ran in The Eagle in 1982.

The owners of a newly built house get stuck in a nightmarish maze created by 'Daemon', a supernatural entity, who creates horrible worlds for them to live through or (more often than not) die in.  The freaky panels of one particular story saw a group of unfortunates trying to escape goblins, which reached up from under the sand or mud and pulled them under.

:D

The Tower King and House of Daemon have stayed with me all my life.

Anyone remember a tv show on BBC called The Enchanted Castle? Some children put on a play and made an audience of stuffed dummies who all came to life and chased them. That absolutely scared the bejeebus out of me.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Gypsum on 14 February, 2014, 10:30:34 PM

:o

Oh my god. That's it. That's the page!!  It's exactly as I remember, and it's still so freaky !!!

Thanks for that! I really appreciate... I think!!   :o

Trout

Quote from: Alski on 14 February, 2014, 01:12:15 PM
2000AD has a lot of memories for me, but perhaps one of the most significant was prog 101 from february 1979. AT ten years old, Pat Mills' writing and Dave Gibbons artwork on Ro-Busters ("The Terra Meks" final part) made me realize that a comic could make you cry. As Charlie, the giant, friendly robot of Northpool (why did these people never use real place names?) saved his city and was subsequently betrayed, only to rise again in triumph to the strains of "You'll Never Walk Alone"... well, that was emotional.

I had the opportunity to tell Mr Mills that the final pages of the Charlie story always make me blub, and he was genuinely thrilled. He actually slapped me on the back.  :)