Main Menu

Hope for a Dredd Sequel?

Started by Tarantino, 26 February, 2014, 09:23:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mabs

Quote from: sauchie on 01 March, 2014, 08:00:12 PM
Quote from: Eightball on 01 March, 2014, 07:45:18 PM
Something akin to True Grit or The Searchers.

You're speaking my language, although your actual synopsis sounds more like Red River. Wayne's character in that is very Dredd, although Joe would never have allowed a wee nyaff like Monty Cliff to get the jump on him.

I think the Australian outback can double up as Cursed Earth, esp. if you use The Proposition as visual reference.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

8-Ball

You're speaking my language, although your actual synopsis sounds more like Red River. Wayne's character in that is very Dredd, although Joe would never have allowed a wee nyaff like Monty Cliff to get the jump on him.

They were just the first ones that popped into my head. I just think that more can be done with the Cursed Earth setting than just aping Mad Max 2. You don't get many post-apocalyptic westerns these days. Maybe they are due a comeback.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

8-Ball

Quote from: Mabs on 01 March, 2014, 08:05:38 PM

I think the Australian outback can double up as Cursed Earth, esp. if you use The Proposition as visual reference.

It is a perfect setting Mabs and they could probably get a tax rebate for filming there.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: Eightball on 01 March, 2014, 08:36:04 PM
It is a perfect setting Mabs and they could probably get a tax rebate for filming there.

Not at the moment it isn't. Native Ozzite George Miller upped sticks and went to Namibia to shoot Mad Max: Fury Road because heavy rainfall turned the parts of the Outback where he shot his original Mad Max films into a lush, verdant landscape of wild-flower.

I presume any theoretical Dredd sequel would be returning to South Africa since they have an all ready established relationship with Cape Town Studios and a good exchange rate on their 'dollars'. I'm sure it's obvious but South Africa has its fair share of desert, and, it's closer than Australia.

8-Ball

I suspected that the studios had started to use African countries as production bases for a reason. Oz is awfully expensive these days isn't it. 'Tis a shame though, Karl Urban could have nipped over the water to visit his relatives in New Zealand.

QuickQuag

Failing that, there's always New Zealand itself. Tax rebates AND the government will change its labour laws in your favour if you're a big studio like Warners.

No sandy deserts, but enough blank and arid countryside in Urban's back yard (well, Central Otago) to shoot Westerns (Good for Nothing), post-apocalyptic Max-alikes (Battletruck) and, um, fantasy trilogies.   
The views above are entirely my own. And there's the problem.

JOE SOAP

Quote from: QuickQuag on 02 March, 2014, 06:21:08 PM
Failing that, there's always New Zealand itself. Tax rebates AND the government will change its labour laws in your favour if you're a big studio like Warners.

No sandy deserts, but enough blank and arid countryside in Urban's back yard (well, Central Otago) to shoot Westerns (Good for Nothing), post-apocalyptic Max-alikes (Battletruck) and, um, fantasy trilogies.

They picked Cape Town/Jo'burg for the type of architecture and urban sprawl the cities contain; it also has arid landscapes and a massive new studio. New Zealand doesn't offer all that in one package.

Bat King

Yup. South Africa has what is required at the price that is acceptable.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

QuickQuag

The views above are entirely my own. And there's the problem.