Main Menu

Matt 'the other' Wagner

Started by Colin YNWA, 18 March, 2014, 06:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue Cactus

Volume 2 is due for release on 14th September for those who are waiting for it.

sintec

Damn it I'm tying not to buy more books until I finish the DIY that will let me have bookshelves. This however will be difficult to resist (as will a long list of other books, better get that DIY done).

Colin YNWA

Volume 2 is the Christine Sparr stuff I think (I have the original comics) and to my mind  when you get into the art which took me some time, is some of my favourite ever comics.

Blue Cactus

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 26 August, 2022, 12:45:41 PM
Volume 2 is the Christine Sparr stuff I think (I have the original comics) and to my mind  when you get into the art which took me some time, is some of my favourite ever comics.

Excellent! I was wondering what you and other folk here considered the best eras of the strip.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Blue Cactus on 26 August, 2022, 03:52:33 PM
Quote from: Colin YNWA on 26 August, 2022, 12:45:41 PM

Excellent! I was wondering what you and other folk here considered the best eras of the strip.

Read down thread there a load of longwinded blather from me discussing my last re-read.

Blue Cactus

Colin YNWA

Not actually Matt Wagner. Rather I'm here to talk about Grendal Tales - The Devil May Care by Terry laBan and Peter Doherty of these pastues. Its really quite brilliant.

Basically a Shakespearean tragedy cast against a Grendal Klan in Indianapolis about to host the Indianapolis 5000 as the Klan leader falls in star crossed love with a hospital doctor and starts to lose control of his Khan. Its epic stuff told on the small intermit scale and superb.

Peter Doherty's art is hot and dusty as you'd expect and with perfect character work carrys the story immaculately.

I mean it might not be Wagner but its the next best thing. Highly recommended.

13school

Seems Netflix has dumped the Grendel TV series part-way through production (though another streaming service might pick it up and finish it). Not good news.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: 13school on 28 September, 2022, 06:41:22 AM
Seems Netflix has dumped the Grendel TV series part-way through production (though another streaming service might pick it up and finish it). Not good news.

Oh no that's rubbish! I wonder what went wrong???

Blue Cactus

Selfishly I hope this doesn't affect the reprinting of the Omnibi since I just finally committed to collecting the things!

Just started on the first volume last night. It's a strange way to start reading the series, with what is effectively a long recap of a storyline I haven't read, but without any context or info on what Grendel or the Wolf are or why they're enemies etc. Great visuals, although I prefer a more traditional comic approach so looking forward to starting the next section, which seems to comprise lots of short stories with guest artists.

Blue Cactus

Omnibus 3 due out in January by the looks of things.

Colin YNWA

So the latest issue of Tripwire - genre magazine, something I've never picked up has some great content. In that a celebration of Grendel on its 40th Anniverary - wow! This takes the form of an extended interview with Matt Wagner which is worth the price of admission (other good looking content I will get to soon I hope).

Anyway to save you all having to pay the admission - though worth it as I say - the highlight is the reveal (to me at least) that the next Grendel series will be Devil's Crucible an overarching storyline consisting of 3, 4 part minis. They will be a direct sequel to Devil's Odyssey.

Now timing will a little slippy as I get the impression this interview was written prior to the Netflix show being canned as Wagner suggest the release will be delayed pending a 'surprise' relating directly to the telly show.... now we know that's a 120 page (???was it) story tied to thaty telly show and at a guess this will be delayed while the show isn't coming... unless they flip that... who knows... anyway we'll see when the 12 issues start to come out and super excited to see what comes.

13school

Thanks for the update! It's weird to think it wasn't so long ago that Netflix (or any streaming service) canceling a series (ie Grendel) before it was released was a shock, whereas now they're constantly axing things at every stage.

Sadly this leads me to suspect we'll never see it, but fingers crossed I'm wrong.

Colin YNWA

Hey we'll always have the comics!

While I'd love it to happen if it made Matt Wagner happy, the fact one of the great strengths of the comics is the very fact that it plays with the medium in such sensational ways means I wonder how well any show would serve it... we'll have to wait to see if we ever find out.