Main Menu

JUDGE DREDD: IDW #18 "The American Way of Death - Part 2"

Started by COMMANDO FORCES, 09 April, 2014, 06:10:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GordonR

Quote from: Judge Olde on 30 April, 2014, 10:29:21 AM
With some of the amazing work in other US titles, the art droid(s) working on this IDW nonsense seems to be on full malfunction. I can't imagine this making the mid 20's for issues & sadly it's one comic I'd like to see go. But then, where does that leave Dredd with the US audience. I hope a lot of them new already to leave this well alone & read 2000ad. . .

That's a rather odd thing to say. I've never read the IDW Dredd comic because...well....I'm not remotely interested. But to actively want it to be cancelled?

If you don't like it, don't read it. And if you don't read it, then what difference does it make to you (unless you find it specifically offensive in some genuinely objectionable way) whether it exists for others or not?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Judge Olde on 30 April, 2014, 10:29:21 AM
I hope a lot of them new [sic] already to leave this well alone & read 2000ad. . .

Why, yes, because we have 37 years of evidence to prove that this happens... oh, no, wait... the exact opposite of that.

IDW have made a better fist of getting Dredd into the US market than any of the previous attempts. I've glanced through it, it hasn't grabbed me, so I've put it back, but if it's working then why in God's name would you resent that, let alone want to see it cancelled?

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Dredging up my take from some other thread, the ongoing IDW Dredd title seems to permit the creation of limited stuff that's far more to my taste, like MC-2.  If - as seems likely - you can't have one without t'other, I'm happy for it to chunder on, even if that means the imminent arrival of Supersurf-OneMillion-with-Chainsaws-mounted-on-Cruise-Missiles or Mayor Dave the Cyber-Kong.  No skin off my chin.

CrazyFoxMachine

I, for one, am looking forward to the Mayor Dave storyline - with about seventy Daves.

EACH ONE MORE MAYORAL THAN THE LAST.

Frank

Quote from: TordelBack on 30 April, 2014, 01:25:24 PM
the ongoing IDW Dredd title seems to permit the creation of limited stuff that's far more to my taste, like MC-2.  If - as seems likely - you can't have one without t'other, I'm happy for it to chunder on, even if that means the imminent arrival of Supersurf-OneMillion-with-Chainsaws-mounted-on-Cruise-Missiles or Mayor Dave the Cyber-Kong

In the IDW universe, Rex Peters drank all the blood of Satanus and had the enormous drumsticks fried Cajun-style.

Before Judge Olde gets too bummed at being berated by two of the forum's big beasts, he can console himself with the knowledge that Tharg makes a chunk of change from licensing the rights to produce US comics to IDW. Even if we don't like the look of them, they're bolstering the resources of The Mighty One and hopefully enabling him to offer terms which could prevent the drain of talent to the US and better page rates.

Regarding the ability of the 2000ad stable to get UK produced work to an American audience, the US release of the Underbelly film tie-in was a rare foray into North American distribution for Rebellion and a definite success - and had the film acting as free marketing - and it sold significantly fewer copies than the monthly IDW Dredd title. The practicality and logic of licensing characters to folk who know the US market and have clout with distributors seems inescapable, for now at least.

Link Prime

I wouldn't actively want IDW Dredd to be cancelled, just given a new (i.e. better) creative team (say...Mike Carroll & PJ Holden) with a firm grasp on the character.

The current run is terrible (IMO obviously).

There have to be some discerning US (or indeed worldwide) comic readers who've tried the IDW Dredd, thought it wasn't up to much, and will leave it at that.

8-Ball

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 30 April, 2014, 02:08:20 PM
I, for one, am looking forward to the Mayor Dave storyline - with about seventy Daves.

EACH ONE MORE MAYORAL THAN THE LAST.

Planet Of The Daves. :lol:
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Bat King

I want to see more Judge Dredd things like Year One, Mars Attacks & Mega City Two from IDW. I'm very happy to see other takes on the setting so long as the character is well served. These three examples were (or are) very enjoyable.

But 6k sales is a figure that can sustain a series in North America so it is ticking some boxes there. And it is essentially the sales there that matter (though sales here help).

I'd like to see a new writer. From what I see of IDW comics I get the idea they Editors give the writers a lot of independence. I have no facts to back that up, just a hunch.
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Link Prime

Quote from: Bat King on 01 May, 2014, 01:12:57 AM
From what I see of IDW comics I get the idea they Editors give the writers a lot of independence. I have no facts to back that up, just a hunch.

From interviews I've read with Simon Furman, Stephen Mooney & Joe Hill, I'd say you're spot-on.

Judge Olde

Okay, cancelled is too strong, a better artdroid (& or creative team) at least. I've been spoilt for the most part at least in the 27 years I've been reading 2000ad. I was just being greedy & wanting more Dredd to read & enjoy & unfortunately IDW isn't it. Sorry to clutter the thread with emotive ramblings. Gets coat ..