Main Menu

Alien: Isolation

Started by von Boom, 25 April, 2014, 02:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Rog69 on 10 October, 2014, 11:59:11 AM
just a couple of minor niggles so far, the save system sucks, can we please go back to games letting us save where we want and having multiple slots please.

The mind the public telephone styled save point. I think they're quaint and I was thinking they're kind of like ATM's (Bank Machines located on the sides of various buildings, mostly outside banks or in side shopping malls. Where you can withdraw your money from or check your bank account!) and I would be surprised if that could be another one of they're functions aside from being a place where you c an save your game;)

I think it's one of those things that make this game attractive and a little more challenging if you believe that not being able to save anywhere you like is a difficult hurdle.

At least this doesn't have the same save system as State of Decay where it will save your game automatically at random times and never when you want it to at all.

BTW I have been playing at toughest difficulty where I think I can only save my game about as much as I have these special points left over or something like that. Anyway, on my second/third go, I got as far as meeting the [spoiler]hostile bald-head Scottish fellow who looks like that well known author and where he took the female lead to his place of abode in the ventilation system.[/spoiler]

von Boom

What has this thread become?

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: ThryllSeekyr on 10 October, 2014, 02:42:41 PM
Quote from: Rog69 on 10 October, 2014, 11:59:11 AM
just a couple of minor niggles so far, the save system sucks, can we please go back to games letting us save where we want and having multiple slots please.

The mind the public telephone styled save point.

I really meant DON"T mind the public telephone styled save pointS.

Another game is currently installing from Steam....hardly wait for this one!

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: von Boom on 10 October, 2014, 02:45:59 PM
What has this thread become?

Let's turn this into a GIF party.

Hawkmumbler

Goaty

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Funny thing is, that's not even the weirdest thing posted on this thread
You may quote me on that.

Keef Monkey

Played a few hours of the story and also the 2 Ripley Edition DLCs, and absolutely loving this. It's just fantastically well put together and does an amazing job of capturing the atmosphere of the movie. It's relentlessly tense, and can be pretty difficult, but errs more on the side of satisfying once you get better at evading the alien.

The art and sound design are stunning - probably the most terrifying and intense section of the game so far had literally nothing happening, just some astonishing sound design and score work adding up to a whole lot of creeping dread.

The main thing I'm impressed with though is how committed it is to the slow burn. Most games/movies would throw an alien encounter in early on (and it must have been tough to pitch the game like this), but this follows much closer to the pace of the movie than that, meaning you have an exceptionally long time for the unease to build up before it starts putting you under real threat. Once it does you never really relax again because you know you're never far from the creature. My one small gripe is that once you aquire the flamethrower it's a bit too easy to send the alien packing, which takes away from the fear somewhat. The ammo is quite limited but not limited enough to deter you from using it.

Still got a lot to play through (apparently it's quite a long game) and really itching to get back into it.

HdE

I've actually started again from scratch, seeing as my PS3 told me there was an update (which has fixed some annoying, noticeable bugs - like Samuels prodding buttons on a previously invisible hand held device.)

It's big on atmosphere, for sure. They've nailed the aesthetic. I've had my first encounter withthe Alien twice now, and it was JUST as terrifying the second time around.

I really think this provides the sort of Alien experience a lot of movie fans have been pining for for a while. The chance to go toe to toe (or rather, AVOID going toe to toe) with the slavering beastie itself? Unmissable.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

ThryllSeekyr

Quote from: Goaty on 10 October, 2014, 06:34:35 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 10 October, 2014, 06:24:42 PM

This. Is. Awesome!!!

Who smarter the one who's part of hive mind or the brute who obviously is only skilled enough to use tech it may have never designed and created the exotic hard ware?

They both seem retarded to me  :lol:

Now here is the Good Game Reveiw - Alien Isolation

ThryllSeekyr

I'm stuck in this game at the moment.

I'm at the place where you can catch those shuttles to some places and two of them are powered down and might need fixing. The only thing I have found is a panel you can rewire. I've tried doing stuff with this, but it doesn't appear to make any difference.

I caught shuttle to engineering section and encountered three or four hostile men with guns and hid and moved away from them. I then had to return and ended up knocking one of them out from behind and took all his gear. While caught the shuttle back to hub-station where I am stuck not attracting the attention of the other guys. The A.I. who sometimes that bad....they were all firing their weapons on the back wall. Their back were turned while doing this and made my escape that much easier.

I came back later to see what I could do and see if I could finish them off taking the rest of their gear, but they were all gone.

Has anybody finished this game. I am now stuck.

I'm not sure if I should try harder before asking for help.

Keef Monkey

Mabs

My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Pete Wells

I was put off this by a couple of average reviews, however I trust my 2000AD brethren more and will get this at the weekend!

HdE

Pete - I think you'll get along with it just fine!

I'm really NOT a gamer, but this was too intriguing to pass up. I actually went and read the infamous IGN review and found it to be pretty flawed in ts understanding of what the game is meant to provide.

Want to experience pants-wetting terror as you try to stay hidden from one of THE classic movie monsters of all time? This is the experience you're after. It really is PROPERLY scary at times.

My only issues at this stage are that I would have liked a little clearer direction interms of what I'm actually supposed to DO at any given time. And there ARE a few bugs that crop up from time to time (so be sure to patch your game early on if you get it.)

Otherwise, I love it. I just wish I had time right now to actually PLAY it!
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/