Main Menu

Judge Dredd The Complete Case Files

Started by ted5536, 01 May, 2014, 07:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ted5536

Hello all I have a general question about the The Complete Case Files and The Restricted Files. I live over in the US and have recently got into Dredd and Rogue Trooper and notice they have different covers over here then what is on the 2000AD store. I have tried to find information on plans for the US Restricted Files and more Complete Case Files but I cannot find any information about how these are being released in the US and was hoping someone on here might have more info.

I have also just subscribed to 2000 AD and learning about all the great comics they have done, any suggestions on what are some other good strips? I plan on checking out ABC Warriors, Slaine, Nemesis the Warlock, and Strontium Dog.

8-Ball

As someone whose collection is pretty much made up of Judge Dredd, Rogue Trooper, Strontium Dog, Nemesis and A.B.C. Warriors I think you will be off to a good start with those. I don't know how easily they are to come by in North America but you might want to look into Nikolai Dante as well. I hear it has quite the following on this board. Happy reading.
Whatever happened to Rico, Dolman and Cadet Paris? I'm sooo out of the loop.

Steve Green

Hi,

I can't really answer the first question - hopefully Mike or Keith from Rebellion might be able to.

The UK versions preceded the US releases, so they have been playing catchup, but I guess it depends how well the US versions are selling as to how long that might take.

With regards to other stories, Strontium Dog is a must - created by the same team as Dredd.

The others you mention are great choices as well.

Other possibles - Zombo, the VCs, BAD Company, Stickleback, Caballistics Inc, Absolom, Robohunter, Leviathan.

There are also some Dredd spinoffs - Judge Anderson, Low Life, Insurrection...

I would recommend Nikolai Dante, but I'm not sure how much of it has been collected - it could do with a complete series really.

Frank

Hi, Ted. Like Steve, I don't own the US books, but when this question has arisen before the answer was that the US Case Files contain the same material as their UK opposites, wrapped in different covers.

ted5536

Quote from: Eightball on 01 May, 2014, 07:46:50 PM
As someone whose collection is pretty much made up of Judge Dredd, Rogue Trooper, Strontium Dog, Nemesis and A.B.C. Warriors I think you will be off to a good start with those. I don't know how easily they are to come by in North America but you might want to look into Nikolai Dante as well. I hear it has quite the following on this board. Happy reading.

Yeah sadly they are not easy to get in the US been ordering them from the UK Amazon.

Proteus4

My votes go to Nemesis, strontium dog and bad company. Nemesis is only 3 case files long, strontium dogs original run is only 5 and bad company is collected in one volume. Awesome stories!!
Dave
My opinion is not to be trusted: I think Last Action Hero is AWESOME. And What Women Want.

IndigoPrime

Quote from: Steve Green on 01 May, 2014, 07:51:48 PMI would recommend Nikolai Dante, but I'm not sure how much of it has been collected - it could do with a complete series really.
All of that's been collected, but at least two of the books are out of print and being reprinted this year.

As for the OP, you might consider at least the first PSI Anderson trade, if you like Dredd.

Magnetica

Quote from: ted5536 on 01 May, 2014, 07:30:53 PM
I plan on checking out ABC Warriors, Slaine, Nemesis the Warlock, and Strontium Dog.

Yes great choices. Those plus Dredd are the top five stories of all time in my opinion.

With Slaine and ABC Warriors, I think the early stuff is the best so I would advise you to start with those.

Other top stuff includes Nikola Dante, Sinister Dexter, Robo-Hunter, ACE Trucking (apart from the last series), Zenith.

Wrt to Robo-Hunter I am recommending the early John Wagner written stuff only which was all drawn by Ian Gibson. Once they left I personally wouldn't bother. To be clear its the stuff featuring the male Sam Slade, not the more recent Samantha Slade stories by Alan Grant and Ian Gibson, nor the Mark Millar or Peter Hogan version.

ted5536

Just ordered Strontium Dog: Search/destroy Agency Files 1 - 4 and will be ordering The Complete America this weekend.

I will have to grab the new ABC Warrior hardcover coming out at the end of the month also, thanks for all the wonderful suggestions I will be looking into all of them and reading as much 2000 AD as possible.

ted5536

Quote from: sauchie on 01 May, 2014, 10:02:21 PM

One of the best Dredd stories ever, America isn't collected in the Case Files.

http://www.amazon.com/Judge-Dredd-America-John-Wagner-ebook/dp/B0095F9QNS/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398977624&sr=1-1&keywords=dredd%2C+america

If your budget can stretch to a used copy of The Complete America and the self explanatory Origins you're set to start reading modern classics like Tour of Duty and Day Of Chaos, which can be enjoyed before you've worked your way through the earliest material without feeling like you're out of the loop:

http://www.amazon.com/Judge-Dredd-Complete-John-Wagner/dp/1840236159/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398977624&sr=1-2&keywords=dredd%2C+america

http://www.amazon.com/Judge-Dredd-Tour-Duty-Backlash/dp/1907519238/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398978034&sr=1-1&keywords=dredd%2C+tour+of+duty

http://www.amazon.com/Judge-Dredd-Tour-Duty-Justice/dp/1907992391/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1398978034&sr=1-2&keywords=dredd%2C+tour+of+duty

I already have Origins and ordered America, once done I will have to give those other books a try. Now if I could only find a copy of Nemesis the Warlock that has books 1 - 4. The deviant edition seems to only have 1 - 3.