Main Menu

2000AD in The Spectator

Started by Dudley, 02 July, 2014, 12:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dudley

"A recent issue of 2000 AD, I noticed, contained a picture of the Queen and Prince Philip as naked, preserved corpses. Darkly funny? Shocking for shocking's sake? Utterly profane? Whatever your position, it's worth noting that this punkish, ambitious art form isn't restricted to galleries and museums. It's one you can buy into for £2.45 an issue."

http://www.spectator.co.uk/arts/exhibitions/9247091/bob-monkhouses-giant-penises-rub-shoulders-with-the-occult-at-the-british-library/

I reckon "'Darkly funny? Utterly profane' - The Spectator" would make for a cracking strapline.

Richmond Clements

Richmond Clements

Although on reading the article, they are doing the thing that annpys me the most and crediting only the writer for creating comics. It's not *just* Alan Moore's Watchmen..!

Frank

Cheers, Dud. Like 2000ad, The Spectator is owned by two brothers; brothers who no-one has ever seen ...

judgerufian

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 02 July, 2014, 01:01:20 PM
High praise indeed!

High praise ....with a touch of condescending flared nostrils. At least they didnt use the phrase 'comics arent just for kids you know.....' 

Proudhuff

Quote from: Dudley on 02 July, 2014, 12:53:29 PM
"'Darkly funny? Utterly profane' - The Spectator" would make for a cracking strapline.

Do it Tharg, just once  :D
DDT did a job on me

Colin YNWA

Yeah I was worried with that opening but that final paragraph is worth the wait!

Richard

Richard Clements, I don't know what you mean. They specifically say that Dave Gibbons illustrated Watchmen, in a whole paragraph all about Dave Gibbons.

Tjm86

I'm just annoyed that I missed the whole Queen and Prince Phillips corpse issue.  Where was that again?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Richard on 06 July, 2014, 10:38:02 AM
Richard Clements, I don't know what you mean. They specifically say that Dave Gibbons illustrated Watchmen, in a whole paragraph all about Dave Gibbons.

They say Gibbons "illustrates Alan Moore's Watchmen" -- a turn of phrase that clearly makes Moore the primary driving force creatively and leaves Gibbons as little more than the pencil monkey. Whilst much of Watchmen's brilliance undoubtedly comes from Moore's watchmaker-like attention to structure, many elements come from Gibbons -- the smiley face on Mars was his discovery, for instance. An artist less obsessed with attention to detail would have undermined the whole book's clockwork precision. Moore & Sienkiewicz' Watchmen would have been a VERY different book.

Cheers

Jim
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Frank

Quote from: Tjm86 on 06 July, 2014, 05:07:31 PM
I'm just annoyed that I missed the whole Queen and Prince Phillips corpse issue.  Where was that again?

First episode, neebs. Prog 1880.