Main Menu

Doctor Who - Season 8

Started by Goaty, 13 July, 2014, 09:18:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Doctor loved "good" Dalek at the start of this episode "

I didn't get that at all. Curious, yes.

Good fun with a great high concept and a quality proctologist joke.

Usual faults apply but years back, becausevrest of family liked it, I decided to give in and let New Who wash over me. I have more fun with that then by analysingbit to death and finding fault everywhere. But not watching at all is equally valid.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Devons Daddy

iTunes. We are a week behind so only saw first episode. I am In and sold!!
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

Satanist

Was it just me who wanted the Doctor to stop the rampaging Dalek by turning back to full size and kicking it inside out?

Not a great episode but nowhere near the worst.
Hmm, just pretend I wrote something witty eh?

Dandontdare

Quote from: Satanist on 01 September, 2014, 02:00:21 PM
Was it just me who wanted the Doctor to stop the rampaging Dalek by turning back to full size and kicking it inside out?

I was expecting that - I thought they'd squeeze out of a crack and then re-biggify the capsule. And why didn't they remove it's gun before starting all these experiments? I was also surprised by the large amount of empty space inside a dalek.

My opinion after 2 stories is generally positive. Clara may be gorgeous but I still find her rather annoying, I hope Capaldi shakes off his post-regen confusion soon though and gets a bit of confidence back.

TordelBack

My 8-yr old's best pal of the moment is a nice lass called Clara.  Her mam calls her 'that Impossible Girl', and he runs over to theirs at 7 on a Saturday for Dr. Who and hot chocolate, no alternative arrangements are to be considered.  Someone's doing something right in that there BBC.

COMMANDO FORCES

Just watching a convention video of Karl Urban and he's just said that he was offered a part in Dr Who but he couldn't do it, as he was filming Dredd at the time!

Goaty

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 02 September, 2014, 03:30:41 PM
Just watching a convention video of Karl Urban and he's just said that he was offered a part in Dr Who but he couldn't do it, as he was filming Dredd at the time!

So Dredd filmed in 2011, and Doctor Who filmed in 2011 for 2012 season so ideally he could be for "A Town Called Mercy"? Karl Urban as Gunslinger sounds perfect!

Colin YNWA

Finally got around to this one (which says a lot itself I guess) and pretty much loved it. Okay it stretched credibility at times but was entertaining enough to let that just float past. Clara wasn't anywhere near as annoying as she was last series and as Greg said I had dread fears of some tears of a Dalek saving the day but in the end far from it.

Matt Smith was a superb Doctor served by tosh often, could Pete Capaldi be a superb Doctor served with delights... could be... but that trailer doesn't fill me with hope. We'll see how we go.

Steve Green

No.

You've had two widely reported murders by beheading, a third person is being held hostage and since then, an 82 year old woman was has been reported (though unconfirmed) as being beheaded in North London.

Hawkmumbler

Come off it, though horrific acts indeed these things are sadly common place. They aren't going to stop with censoring a family TV program and it's hardly going to offend the deceased is it?

It's like when Gangster Squad got set back due to the cinema shooting for the Dark Knight Rises opening night.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 05 September, 2014, 08:07:32 AM
Political correctness gone mad?

http://www.theguardian.com/media/2014/sep/04/bbc-edits-doctor-who-beheadings-steven-sotloff
Asolutely. I find it hard to fathom that the notoriously grim and transgressive teatime children's serial Doctor Who is even considering bowing to pressure from theroetically upset descendents of Marie Antoinette.
We never really die.

Steve Green

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 05 September, 2014, 08:49:53 AM
Come off it, though horrific acts indeed these things are sadly common place. They aren't going to stop with censoring a family TV program and it's hardly going to offend the deceased is it?

It's like when Gangster Squad got set back due to the cinema shooting for the Dark Knight Rises opening night.

OK, how about the families of the deceased or the BBC would rather not give the likes of the Daily Mail a handy stick to beat them with?

They apparently have other concerns than you, unbelievable I know...

Hawkmumbler

So whats the next step. Cutting out beheadings in tudor time dramas? Removing the decapitation scenes in Predator? People take drugs it seems so maybe In The Night Garden will arouse some forgotten trauma?

I've always believed that a work of fiction should be left un-bastardised irregardless of whats going on in the world right now, indeed fiction exists so I can forget how bullshit the world is right now.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 05 September, 2014, 09:08:13 AM
So whats the next step. Cutting out beheadings in tudor time dramas? Removing the decapitation scenes in Predator? People take drugs it seems so maybe In The Night Garden will arouse some forgotten trauma?

I've always believed that a work of fiction should be left un-bastardised irregardless of whats going on in the world right now, indeed fiction exists so I can forget how bullshit the world is right now.
By portraying things that explicitly remind you of what's going on in the world?

The thing that's bothering me is that this is what they're telling us they're censoring. What about the stuff they haven't admitted to cutting out?
We never really die.